1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs interested in Marc Gasol in free agency

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 17, 2014.

1. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Gasol is pretty close to Conley, basically demanding that leadership resign him when Conley was a free agent. He also loves Memphis and I think he stays. They were one game out from the 2 seed, dealt with injuries, and took a 67 win team to 6 games. They're still young and you gotta figure Golden State will come back to the pack a little and Memphis will be right there for a few more years.

Spurs just seem like a lateral move at this point. Team isn't getting any younger and they showed some serious flaws this year. Gasol would fix some of them, but another year of aging ain't going to help.

Spurs should focus on LMA, but I think the Blazers bring him back as long as they can sign Wes Matthews. May only be for a 1-2 year deal to take advantage of the cap, but I think he waits. Saw where someone wrote that LMA doesn't really want to be the guy that replaces Duncan as that's a ton of pressure and there is no way he could live up to that.

As far as Deandre Jordan, he's not a fit with Pop. Pop values versatility and Jordan doesn't offer that. If Jordan was willing to take less, Pop may sniff around, but Jordan's going to get max from someone.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It feels so nice to read threads about the Spurs and Clippers trying to think what they need to do to rebuild...while we are still in the playoffs.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, but you should include the Mavs as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Definitely! Not to forget the Lakers and the Jazz, but they are so irrelevant right now that they weren't even on my mind :cool:.

5. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

First, DeAndre wants the same money as Marc. Clips are offering him 5 year deal at 20 million per year.

Second, Popovich would never ever throw a max contract to a low IQ, one-sided(defense) basketball player.

Going back to first, there is no reason to chase Deandre when they have options like lamarcus and marc gasol at the same price. Maybe some GM's over the nba can do this but Spurs, no.

6. malakas

malakas Member

The Mavs will be lottery next season. And they will lose their pick.

7. apatel123

apatel123 Member

Water is wet

8. krouchchocolate

I don't think so. Everyone always counts Tim Duncan out every season but his skills does not need him to be athletic. I think he has a few years left. Pop is very good at managing minutes

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's what everybody said about Luis Scola and then he got a tic slower and his effectiveness plunged.

The margin for error at the NBA level is so thin, it's not a gradual process when you reach the tipping point, it just ends. Not sure when Duncan will reach it, but he will.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

If I'm a fairly young guy and multiple cities are dying to offer me millions of dollars, the crap city of San Antonio would be way down on the list.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's kinda harsh, although it is an odd town. Touristy area and then extreme wide-open spaces where you're like, "Am I inside the city limits?"

The Spurs drafted their main talent. Now we see if they can lure big name free agents. Selfishly speaking, I hope not.