1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs interested in Marc Gasol in free agency

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr. 13 in 33, Nov 17, 2014.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Having Marc would allow Duncan to the 4. Gasol, Duncan, and Leonard would make for a dominating front court.

2. malakas

malakas Member

Yes they do. If they renounce their FAs.
    I don't see it with Gasol. I think he stays in Memphis.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And dont forget about Courtney Lee .... he's like a Swiss Army knife ....

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The Spurs could always trade Splitter away if Duncan stays, i think manu might be done regardless, they could get the max space for Gasol and Duncan could play 60 games x 25 minutes

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Eh... Amick has zero credibility.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Clippers could need him more. Give DeAndre and fillers away.....

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Maybe you're thinking of Amico.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This makes perfect sense.
    Pop can get a broomstick to be a solid offensive player in his system.
    Adding Gasol to Duncan, Leonard, Splitter, Diaw makes their frontcourt ridiculously good.

That said.. It was already the strength of their team with the decline of the backcourt. Can they count on Parker in the future? We know they can't on Ginobili.

It is interesting...

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Duncan carried the load too often this season. He was a big factor in why they were successful. He can't keep doing that forever. Having someone to replace his productivity is priority #1 while he's still playing.

10. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

This makes perfect sense, and I never buy the Spur's interest in LMA. Top International two way players are their bread and butter.

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Report: At least 25 times interested in pursuing Marc Gasol in Free Agency.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Grizzlies are thus understandably jittery about Gasol's looming turn on the open market and will remain so until they have him re-signed to a new max deal. San Antonio, specifically, is the team they fear most.

Yet it's premature to try to establish the Spurs as some sort of favorite to steal him away, since they're also widely expected to focus first on the guy perceived as this summer's more gettable superstar: Portland's LaMarcus Aldridge.

What is obvious to everyone some six weeks out, especially the Grizzlies, is that Gasol is irreplaceable. The mere threat of losing him is chilling, because there's no telling how long it would take Memphis to recover.

Most rival teams favor Memphis to ultimately win the Gasol Sweepstakes because A) Gasol's ties to the city are legitimately deep and B) he's the unquestioned starting center on the NBA's I Just Want To Win Team. Which is another way of saying that few league observers can picture him leaving when there isn't an obvious landing spot that immediately positions Gasol to do more winning than he's currently doing with the Grizz ... unless Tim Duncan retires to create a gaping hole in the San Antonio frontcourt.

Knicks? Lakers? Who else besides San Antonio can mount a legit threat?

Yet we repeat: Gasol has given his own coaches and bosses no hints. Unlike Aldridge, who, according to league sources, hasn't been afraid to share the occasional whisper with a few well-placed folks about the prospect of leaving Portland, Gasol is saying pretty much nothing.

So it's going to be a long 43 days until July 1 for the Tennessee incumbents.

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/3848/steins-scoop-next-for-grizzlies-gasol

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I bet Duncan and Ginobili take big pay cuts if it means getting Gasol.

14. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

I admire their unselfishness, but I hope they realize that players sacrificing their own salaries will only hurt the players themselves in the long run. Ever heard of employees cutting their own pays to save money for the employer? Doesn't make sense business wise.

15. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

You're definitely thinking of Amico. Amick is the one that broke Dwight choosing Houston.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is Duncan retiring in this year's offseason?

Parker
    Green
    Leonard
    Duncan
    Gasol

Spurs depth + system + Pop

I see no reason why the spurs can't win the SW division next year.

17. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...-Prioritize-LaMarcus-Aldridge-Over-Marc-Gasol

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

idk, something about marc that doesn't do it for me. i think the guy is overrated.

if i were the spurs i would offer jordan max instead. much better than splitter and he can take some defensive and rebounding load away from duncan, extending his career a bit more. with jordan and kawai, man an all world defensive team. of course this is assuming jordan wants to play for pop after what he put him through lol.

i'd also take kanter over marc. of course okc will match any offer but point stands. i think kanter is a better signing than marc.

idk, imho marc is overhyped. as a rockets fans, i hope spurs offer him the max lol.

19. JazzLakerHater

I honestly think Gasol would be a better fit for the Spurs than LMA would. If the Spurs were to keep their guys and add Gasol... Good luck to the rest of the NBA.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think the spurs are a sinking ship. they are going to have injuries more and more creating pressure on other teammates. i think it is over for that team unless they get a full roster turnover or have duncan/parker/ginobli come off the bench with a younger starting 5.

and yes i know duncan played well this year but i think he falls off hard next year, which will be his last regardless.