1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CF Metal Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CourtOfDreams, Sep 16, 2012.

1. VanityHalfBlack

Yes b****es!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cyEcOIKz5Fg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Metal=Rock bro. At least good metal (the traditional 70s-80s kind like Maiden, Sabbath, Priest etc.)

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

A bit of early metal. Montrose, with Ronnie Montrose and Sammy Hagar, 1974. I saw them at Hofheinz in April of '74.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tk52nGxF-jc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Judas Priest US Festival 1982

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vb37ErN-_JU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Warheart

Warheart Member

cant forget about dissection

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8c3L0bqUnao" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

At the Gates has a new album.

Yes, you read that right. After a ~20 year break they're back with "At War with Reality." I'm 8 songs in and it's great so far. A must-own for any At the Gates fan.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Ah Deck, love the video/song of course, and not to get into the whole "What is metal" discussion, but Montrose is hard rock, not metal. There *is* a difference.

And as far the ones who seem to think if it isnt thrashing, growling, heavily distorted guitarts and machinegun riffs it isnt metal, just stop with that.

There are many different forms of metal these days, but even A7X is technically metal eventho he doesnt do the growl thing anymore.

oh and one more btw....BLAZE FREAKING BAILEY as a classic legendary old school metal guy??? Please!!!!! He doesnt deserve to lick the ground Dickinson walks on/flys over. I'm a diehard Maiden fan since 77 and that period of the band's history does not exist. It did not happen I tell ya.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Looking at the Grammy’s 2021 best metal performance nominees. Three women lead vocals, Body Count still has it and a band from Dallas.

BUM-RUSH
    Body Count

UNDERNEATH
    Code Orange

THE IN-BETWEEN
    In This Moment

BLOODMONEY
    Poppy

EXECUTIONER'S TAX (SWING OF THE AXE) – LIVE
    Power Trip

9. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Hope Power Trip gets it. Really sucks about the singer passing away, especially so young. Saw them in Austin at Mohawk. Great live show.

10. Xerobull

Yeah that’s who I’m really pulling for. Or Body Count, since they’ve been banging it out for so long.

I’m a Poppy fan and she has better songs than Bloodmoney.

11. lpbman

lpbman Member

I mean, I know I'm biased... but Jinjer never being nominated for a grammy makes the whole thing a joke to me.

I just watched Code Orange and Poppy and then this

lol

I realize Perennial came out in 2019 and wasn't beating Tool but still... no nomination?
    Jinjer is the best metal band of the past decade+ fight me.

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Check out some of Poppy’s other metal. I’m not saying she’s the best, but it’s fairly unique.

I’ll listen to some the Jinjer stuff tomorrow.

lpbman likes this.
  13. lpbman

lpbman Member

A Jinjer primer

Cloud Factory (Pantera vibes)

I Speak Astronomy (Upper vocal range showcase)

Scissors (Older stuff, great chorus)

Exposed as a Liar (hint of ska?)

Judgment & Punishment (Reggae - Tatiana one take vocals)

The only criticism I've heard that resonates with me is the newer stuff has the lead guitar too low in the mix/ or something... The bassist shines but there is only one guitar otherwise and it's hard for me to follow what the guitar is doing.

I listened to more Poppy, I will try again after my palate is cleansed and I'm not comparing them to my fav band in the universe ever.

14. Buck Turgidson

I got reminded of this the other day...

#94 Buck Turgidson, Feb 1, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2021