1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

House Passes GOP Bill To Bypass President To Speed Approval Of Keystone XL Oil Pipeline

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, May 23, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Learn to read, son. The ignorant post from peleincubus was referring to piping Canadian oil to US ports for foreign export. That's illegal to export crude oil from the US.

You might want to take a time-out from the adult discussion.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pure economics are not going to allow for that pipeline to be built. I think obama could have just let it go and still won.

3. rage

rage Member

You need to learn to read.

TransCanada will put their oil from Alberta on the Keystone XL pipe line, send it to the US Gulf coast, directly onto oil tankers and move it to any country in the world.

Do I need to spell it out any further for you?

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

there is no reason to be that rude. i clearly stated i found that paragraph and did not write it myself. i was asking how factual it was. you either need to get laid more often, or simply be a nicer person. sheesh

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

peleincubus, bigtexxx. bigtexxx, peleincubus.

6. rage

rage Member

From Canadian:
    And from US
    http://www.nwf.org/pdf/Tar-Sands/KXL_Exports_Not_Energy_Security.pdf

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Rage -- you really need to educate yourself. Answer this -- is it legal to export crude oil from the US? Yes or no?

The articles you posted (from some wildlife organization, lol) are referencing Canada's drive to export it from the Pacific Ocean to Asia.

8. rage

rage Member

1) It is illegal for US oil producers to export "most" US crude oil.

(Although Republican Congress started to look into passing law that will allow them to export crude a few months ago)

2) There is nothing in US law that prevents Canadian oil producers to export Canadian oil.

Canada can and will put their oil from Alberta on their pipeline (Keystone XL) to the Gulf onto their tankers to other countries.

How many times do I have to tell you?

9. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't think XL "crude" is meant for export, I think it mostly intended for refining within the free trade zone refineries on shore and then the refined products will be exported. I think I read Valero has committed to taking 20%.
    For Valero, I believe the 'heavy' bitumen is intended to replace the declining 'heavy' crude they had been receiving from Venezuela.

It's a semantic difference in that the oil will not be intended for US markets.

10. rage

rage Member

Where does it say XL crude is not meant for export?
    Ask yourself this, what does it matter to TransCanada if their oil is refined in the Midwest or the Gulf if it is sold for US consumptions only? Why pay to build this pipeline and fight all the battles to get it built?

Canada will do anything to benefit Canadians, whether to export the crude oil straight away or to refine it at the Gulf and export it. That's not speculation, not semantics. Various Canadians have said so.

11. rage

rage Member

Another thing about previous post, if Alberta's oil is meant to replace import from Venezuela then what will make up for that same oil that was refined in the midwest?

12. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Smh

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" style="width:450px; height:366px;" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/jFHtNENMPDU?color2=FBE9EC&amp;version=3">
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jFHtNENMPDU?color2=FBE9EC&amp;version=3" />
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
    <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
    </object><div style="font-size: 0.8em">

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I don't think the bitumen/chemical mix from Keystone would be suitable for export as crude. It's thick, heavy and hard to refine. It has to be kept heated in the pipeline to keep it flowable. I think if you tried to put it in a tanker it would solidify. It is also particularly corrosive (high sulphur content); the pipelines have to be coated to them from prevent rusting through (one of the pipeline risks) so I'd guess you'd have to coat the storage on a tanker too.

Valero had already been refining the heavy sulphurous oil from Venezuela in Port Arthur and was expanding the facility there to take Keystone. I believe the idea was to take the Dilbit (oil/chemical mix) and refine it within the Free Trade Zone and export that so that it avoids US taxation.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Other than Jim Jay Bullock and Margaux Hemingway that was easy on the eyes.

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member