1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've always been in Dwight's corner...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #Pursuit, Mar 6, 2016.

1. SunsRocketsfan

were we unhealthy last year? There was no way we were winning it all. Warriors are just that much better than us. It's not even close and as much as I hate the Clippers they were better than us too and we just got lucky.

Even if we pulled a Tonya Harding and bashed in Curry's legs we would have lost to the Cavs.

This season has been a joke. Dwight is just not a winner and is a 3rd or 4th option role player on a Championship level team.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

That easy hunh? you would just "get Drummond", lol. Genius.. Seriously though these days you just need a guy who can set picks and defend decently at center. Ideally for the 5 you want the guy to be able to get back on D quickly because these days teams will run you off the damn court if you're not conditioned. I think that's what we see with Dwight now. He's so slow now she just gets blown by or he knows he cant make it in time so he just doesn't bother to contest and so he points. I've said this before if you look at the playoffs teams almost none of them have a center that is deemed "better" than Dwight yet some how they're in the playoffs. Hmm interesting isn't it. The game is changing the Rockets need to change with it. You need high scoring guards or forwards with a solid center who can run and defend decently. If he can hit the long ball it's a bonus if you can get a forward who plays defense well enough to play center you go for put him there. Spurs are running two PF's and GSW has Bogut who defends well and knows his role along with Green who can score and facilitate and he's their third best player. The Rockets need to wise up Dwight is not the future.

3. #Pursuit

#Pursuit Member

I hope everyone realizes "cute smile" was a sarcastic nod to his tendency to smile for no reason.

4. #Pursuit

#Pursuit Member

Smith's shooting is definitely a problem. I think we can both agree our season is a result of many problems. Perhaps a few fans think this is R2G6 4th quarter and still believe Smith should be given the okay to shoot 3s

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Yeah that easy. We're ready to go after 2 max contract guys. Harden - Durant - Drummond. "1" - 3 - 5. Spurs had their big 3 as in-out. Heat. Then Heat again. Lakers. Celtics. Rockets championships had an in-out game. It's easy to criticize and not come back with any ideas yourself. Is there anything more pathetic? I submit that there is not.

You say playoff teams as if we were not a playoff team the past 3 years. And you're still at an incomplete on names you would chase. Again, nothing sadder than an incomplete. Nothing.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

You should be very happy with Dwight's play this year, he has taken on that role more than any other point in his career.

If all Dwight does is play the Deandre Jordan role, then there will be games where the opportunities just aren't there for him, and he ends up with like 8 points or whatever. So people can't be pissed if he has a low scoring game once in awhile, since he's just playing the role he's asked to play.

7. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

What the heck was this post and the post two below saying? I read this post and was like "Holy cow! I didn't know Dwight was doing that well posting up. You blew my mind. Here's some rep!" Then, 2 posts down, it says Dwight is the same lousy lousy post up player.

Is this one just saying touches in the PAINT??? To me, a post touch is your back to the basket. Post ups require the ability to create your own shot - not just catching some alley-oop. Seems like it should be called paint touches if your back is not to the basket. Post touch is very misleading IMO.

Anyway, consider the rep retracted, because the conversation taking place was on Dwight's post up play, not finishing off what Harden or someone else created. ;)

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is Dwert's corner the corner of clowns, jokesters?

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

"Go After" and "Get" are two different things. Probably won't be that easy to just get Drummond. The most you hope for is get a solid guy at center you don't need a star there.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think this team might have been able to do more with Asik then with the extra money go after guys to go with Harden. Might have done better in the long run easily.

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree, we definitely would have a much bigger window of success.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Imagine if Harden couldn't hit his free throws but still kept on insisting on drawing them. That's exactly what Dwight wants to do. He gets his back to the basket draws fouls and can't hit them. Most of the time if they don't foul him he either fouls them or embarrassingly misses.

13. alcatrazpsycho

I was never a fan of the Dwight signing.

Those who argue that last season's WCF appearance justifies the signing have a lack of imagination for how the past 3 seasons could have played out differently. Those same people also need to (re)watch The Fast and The Furious...
    [​IMG]

Imagine if Dwight signed with GSW instead of Houston, for instance, a possible destination at the time. Would GSW be the team they are today? Would they have been better off team-salary-wise? I seriously doubt it. I think they'd be a middling western conference team at best.

In the meantime, imagine Rockets stuck with a happy Omer Asik + $20 million of cap space. Where would this Rockets team be today? Except for Harden, this team might look completely different, knowing Morey.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

We were missing Beverley and Motiejunas, two starters. We lost the first two games against Golden State by a combined 5 points. You don't think those two could have had a +5 or more over the likes of JET/Pablo Prigioni and Josh Smith?

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

We also beat the Cavs - without Howard - handily, and that was when they had Love.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Drummond isn't attainable. He'll be a restricted free agent and Detroit has the right to match any offer he gets. Detroit was already willing to offer Drummond a max extension but both sides decided to wait until the offseason in order to maximize Detroit's cap space.

Drummond will remain in Detroit with a max contract.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13932244/andre-drummond-decides-not-extend-detroit-pistons

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If you want to improve/move on from Dwight, then Horford is your man.

Kick the cans down the road!

18. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

<iframe src="//e.infogr.am/nbas_most_efficient_post_up_scorers?src=embed" title="NBA's Most Efficient Post-Up Scorers" width="600" height="700" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" style="border:none;"></iframe><div style="padding:8px 0;font-family:Arial!important;font-size:13px!important;line-height:15px!important;text-align:center;border-top:1px solid #dadada;margin:0 30px"><a target="_blank" href="https://infogr.am/nbas_most_efficient_post_up_scorers" style="color:#989898!important;text-decoration:none!important;">NBA's Most Efficient Post-Up Scorers</a><br><a style="color:#989898!important;text-decoration:none!important;" href="https://infogr.am" target="_blank">Create your own infographics</a></div>

19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

0.75 points per possession is incredibly inefficient. To put it into perspective, here's some of our other ppp:

Harden ISO 0.94
    Beverley ISO 0.83
    Smith ISO 0.9

Ariza Spot-up 0.91
    Beverley Spot-up 1.09
    Harden Spot-up 1.23
    Brewer Spot-up 0.86.

Most anything else we do will still be more efficient than a Howard postup.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

"assume the Deandre Jordan role"

Who assumes the Chris Paul role? Gotta have people who know how to play with a guy who lives above the rim. NObody on this team except Harden,Smith,and Ariza knows how to pass the ball at a professional level. Embarassing how awful they are at passing the ball actually. Entry passes. Pick and roll passing. You name it, they suck at it.

Im surprised Dwight gets what he gets honestly.