1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've always been in Dwight's corner...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by #Pursuit, Mar 6, 2016.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

bad basketball is Howard getting a couple post attempts ok. lol

As opposed to putting up the most 3 pters by any team in the league. Or playing ISO ball. Or being atrocious on fastbreak advantages by the guards/wings

2. Mr. Motiejunas

I'd like for Dwight to set more screens and then roll to the Basketball. There's a reason the team plays better offense with Capela out there.

1 person likes this.
  3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Because of Morey Ball and the lack of coaching, Josh Smith attempts 23% more 3 pointers a game than Dwight Howard attempts a post up shot.

Let that sink in.

68 attempted 3s in 18 games for Smith. 3.78 3PTa for Smith to Howard's 3.07 post up attempts per game.

Now when Dwight attempts a post up shot, he sometimes draws a double team, and he most definitely has a defender on him that he will more than likely draw a foul from.

When Josh Smith attempts a 3, the entire opposing team is just looking at him from afar like "bro go for it"

It's just interesting to me. Might add some perspective.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

but but but he posts up way too much. Perhaps more 3s need to be taken to satisfy these critics who want to act like Howard is still such a huge part of game offensively.

I just cringed reading your post

5. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You're creating a false choice. There are more offensive plays than just either post ups or 3's.

All I'm writing is that he should post up less than he has been doing this season, or more specifically, he's not very good at it compared to other NBA players. The numbers show that among 194 qualified NBA players who have enough post ups this season, Dwight is in the bottom half of effectiveness (45.4%) due mostly to turnovers and missed free throws when he gets fouled in the post. His ppp per post possession is 0.82. He's significantly less efficient in the post than Marc Gasol, Randolph, Aldridge, both Lopez brothers, Dirk, Vucevic, Jordan Hill, Kanter, Duncan, Love, Cousins, Anthony-Towns. He's not a star because of his post moves. He's a star imo because of his blocks, rebounding, alley-oops, and general athleticism.

So I'm not saying to not post him up at all, but he should be posted up less. Players who are as inefficient as he is in the post don't generally post up as much as Dwight does. I'm just going by the stats. This would all be different if Dwight made free throws.

Edit: and rag on iso ball all you want, but Harden scores 0.94 ppp on iso ball (74th percentile among all iso ballers). At that volume, it's very good. And regarding volume, Harden iso balls on 25.3% of his possessions, which is a lower percentage of possessions than Dwight post ups.

#65 Kim, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Both Howard and Smith suck on offense....so it is like saying do you want to eat fresh turds or yesterdays crap?

DD

7. cdrive

Dwight makes 15 pts/g on 9 FGA/g with 61% FG%.

So no. You are wrong about Howard's offense. You are pooped the bed wrong on Howard's offense.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

But when taking into account his turnovers and free throws, he's not great I'd say, but just okay. When looking only at possessions where you dump it into Dwight in the post, he's below average. He makes up for it on being good on offense as a roller or offensive rebounder. In those instances, he shoots better, gets fouled less, and turns the ball over less.

9. DaDakota

Meaningless drivel - please break down the number of PnR Dunks he gets and extract that data from his post ups, and get back to us...

If all he ever did was play the Deandre Jordan role, or the Tyson chandler one...a rebounding PnR player - then he would be fine.

But no we get the Dwight who sulks because people don't think of him as a complete center...because, he isn't.

DD

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This^^^

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Does he get those points off post ups or is he just cleaning up or dunking after a drive and kick?

12. cdrive

Lol @ DD lecturing me about meaningless drivel.

When you get cranky, all your posts are full of beans.

I did present some good data for you. I showed you post touches, paint touches, and conceded he wasn't great but not terrible at post up touches. But he doesn't shoot but 3 a game. And Howard sulking is just more DD crap. You're frustrated. Great I get it. I get hyperbolic and can look silly when I get frustrated too. But you're wrong on Howard. He is still a great weapon on offense when used correctly, which we have been doing lately as opposed to earlier in the season.

Let's have some smart, real, constructive takes on how to improve the team. Not cranky silliness. I'm down with Howard re-signing next year as a legit 3rd option guy in a coached system for $18m/yr for 2 years. If he doesn't buy in then get someone else.

13. DaDakota

I am frustrated by the lack of comprehension about the game of basketball by many on here that can't see the guy sulking or not trying on defense because he is not getting his touches.

Or that he has been basically a team killer since Orlando - just not a winner - oh sure the uninformed will point to him playing in the playoffs as some kind of indicator that he is a winner, but the fact is that if he can do that in the playoffs he SHOULD be doing that all year.

But of course, I don't want the facts to get in the way of some stupid numbers discussion.

DD

14. cdrive

We disagree. So what's your solution then? If Dwight doesn't buy in next year for less, then I would get Drummond. I still believe in a marquee center.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

"I say, Mr. Kettle, that's a lovely dark paint job you're wearing today."

16. DaDakota

I am so far ahead of the curve...it scares people.

:)

Takes folks years to figure out stuff I recognize quickly.

DD

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Same posters posting the same **** over and over and over and over

18. DaDakota

Some of us are having fun at our own expense.

DD

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yep - this season has been a trainwreck but last season was special and had we been healthier, we may have had a shot at winning it all. It may not have been pretty or logical but we were right there.

20. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Should've traded him to the 76ers, that'll show him!