1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Players to Vote on Their Own Awards

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

I would vote for Curry, in big games Harden needs the referees or else he will cry and pout. Harden lets himself be taken out of games and is mentally weak, a true MVP does not possess those inadequacies.

2. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

LOL shut up. You use last nights game as an example. Harden has been dominant all season, with or without the refs.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>NBPA Players’ Awards: <a href="http://t.co/74kE0BIm2j">pic.twitter.com/74kE0BIm2j</a></p>&mdash; Hardwood Paroxysm (@HPbasketball) <a href="https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/592763174014820352">April 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    These awards sound a hell of a lot more fun than the regular ones

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBPA unveils categories for new &quot;Basketball Players Awards&quot;: <a href="http://t.co/mKAMzHZjqo">pic.twitter.com/mKAMzHZjqo</a></p>&mdash; Howard Beck (@HowardBeck) <a href="https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/592762395510059008">April 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yay, there's gonna be an award show! Gonna be fun-- especially if it is a train wreck!

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No Best Player on Best Team Award?!?!

7. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

damn harden could win 5 awards lol

8. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Goodluck getting players to actually care enough to vote on all those categories, especially when the NBPA could manage to get less than half of its players to vote on the collective bargaining agreement during the lockout.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It's way easier to get people to vote for entertainment award. Also, I think you missed the part of the talent saying "overwhelming participation". The votes are already in.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

f my phone, fixed.

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Maybe its just me, but I'd think it be easier to get players to vote on MONEY they should get rather than evaluating who played best, what or how.

In terms of "overwhelming participation" until they release the numbers I remain skeptical with the NBPA for this description as well as with many of the outlandish statements the NBPA and Michelle Roberts have made the past year.

Perhaps the numbers will show more than 80-90% of the players voted, which would be great... but if history is any indication, that number will drop precipitously as the years go on. One of the primary reasons the NBA went from players voting to media voting was due to the lack of participation/interest by the players in actually voting.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ It was very informal voting. I remember reading about the Clippers filling out ballots after a game in their locker room.

If they keep it this way and focus on the entertainment aspect, I think players will vote

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Fun categories, should make for interesting speeches.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Pretty much. Just a casual voting thing so it's easier to vote.

That's how shows like American Idol can get people to vote on singing contests more than political ones. A lot easier to vote if you just have to text your winner or something.

15. YourSecretLover

Your votes on American Idol don't matter. Ultimately, the producers of the show decides who goes on and who goes home, they make it seem like your vote matter but it really doesn't and instead makes the show more engaging by having you supposedly participate. It even says it on the fine print at the end of every episode, which is extremely small.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I wouldn't know, I've never voted for a single contestant on the show. Was just using an example of how casual polling would get more votes than something serious.

It will be interesting to see how the MVP differs from player polls year to year if they continue to do this.

17. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I like it. Should be interesting to see the players perspective on these awards.

18. Sephkane

Sephkane Member

This post doesn't matter.

The point he made was the entertainment value of the contest makes it easier to get involved with voting. In this case, I'm sure the players votes will count.

19. MattM

MattM Member

Wow, just wow.

Players vote is a good thing. I also think we care too much about the media votes. Call it what it is - a popularity / political contest.

Kind of taking this in a different direction but it's in the same vein - Do you think that I'd Parsons had Mike Dunleavy's face that he'd of been overpaid so much by Dallas?

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Honestly I'm really interested in the players' votes more than the NBA's version, but I'm also interested to see the politics behind how these might impact each other.