1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is so overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Feb 23, 2015.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course the goal is always to win as much as possible in the playoffs, however the playoffs haven't even started this season and people like you are already complaining about what? the past. houston is having a great season despite all the significant injuries, yet people don't acknowledge this is the best team to date with a legitimate mvp to make a serious run. if anything at least see what happens starting April 18th to pass some judgement on this season.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nobody said anyone has to be ultimately satisfied, but it doesn't mean that a dominant regular season and an MVP campaign shouldn't at least be recognized, and enjoyed. Some folks like yourself and FTW continually present a very negative outlook on the Rockets for a reason I cannot understand.

If you can't enjoy and appreciate what the Rockets and Harden have done this season than I just feel sorry for you. You must just be a miserable person to be around if you can't enjoy and appreciate this season as a Rockets fan and you are incapable of optimism just because you are that jaded about the Rockets past history after the Hakeem years mostly due to a team built around Steve Francis as its best player, and building around two stars that broke down far before their time.

How all of that is Morey's fault I don't know, and how that has any indication on the future of this postseason and the next few years with a team built around James Harden I have no clue. Rebuilding and acquiring TWO star players in less than 5 years after losing your top stars is insanely impressive when looking at other organization's ability to even put a winning team on the floor after gutting its roster. Despite injuries to the top stars, and the rebuilding years in between stars, the Rockets have still managed to provide a winning team continually while other organizations such as the Warriors have had many bottom feeder seasons in between reloads.

Honestly all it boils down to is a piss poor pessimistic attitude. The Rockets have plenty of reasons to be optimistic about post season success both this year, and in the future for a few more years during Harden's prime. So respectfully.... please.... shut up or go whine by yourself.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ranny

Ranny Member

What are you talking about? why do you assume people are content with just having a good season? Every Rox fan wants to go as far as possible in the playoffs and given our situation and level of play most of us, the reasonable ones at least, are positive that we have great odds of going pretty far in the playoffs.

This doesn't mean its going to be easy, or that we can take it for granted as a given, its going to be difficult, the west is very very very tough and no rival will just roll over and die, we are going to have to fight for every point just like any other team, but i am confident we have a very good team, a much better team than the one we had last year.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...which you demonstrated with your stalwart support of Rudy Gay and his 7 career playoff games, and whose teams achieved their greatest success without him.

My favorite Morey Bashing moment of Hubris was even Post-Harden where Kwame and his tag team partner leebigez were grousing that, had Morey just followed their advice, the Rockets could be fielding a Big 3 of Brook Lopez, Tyreke Evans, and Goran Dragic.

#244 SamFisher, Apr 1, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

I don't see where he was complaining. All he basically said was thr expectations for our team are too low

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

he assumed people don't have higher standards and are satisfied with not winning a playoff series. sounds a little like complaining

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

If you don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore instead of ranting and getting emotional and telling me to shut up. You assail those who provide an honest opinion and objective analysis by claiming that they're always being "negative." Yet, I don't see you chastise the blind homerism that's rampant on this website. If you wanna be part of the "In Maury We Trust" crowd, that's fine, but don't tell others how to think. Instead, respectfully go and whine to yourself.

You should also temper your optimism by taking a look at how the Rockets have performed against playoff teams in the West that they're likely to face in the first round.

Also, do you have any actual critique of the organization? If so, please articulate it. If not, let me know so I can go ahead and group you with the rest of the homers who are incapable of critical analysis.

Where in that thread did I indicate that if "Morey just followed their advice, the Rockets could be fielding a Big 3 of Brook Lopez, Tyreke Evans, and Goran Dragic" or are you making stuff up yet again?

Le$ Alexander has already declared the season a success no matter what happens in the playoffs.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

So just incase anyone missed it

Mostly negative outlook: realistic, honest, critical thinker, smart

Optimistic view: blind homer, idiot, you believe the rockets and everyone involved have never done anything wrong

9. okeezie

okeezie Member

So we blame the GM who pulled off the best trade since Pau Gasol was stolen from Memphis? A guy who accumulated the assets to pull off a trade for the likely MVP BEFORE the prime of his career. So the players on the court have nothing to do with getting out of the 1st round, its on the GM. So it was Morey's fault .9 happened against Portland? So it was Morey's fault Aldrdge was out of his mind for Games 1 and 2? Lol..some of you guys are a joke. If all you care about is the playoffs then don't come on here until the playoffs. Let those of us who enjoy the regular season enjoy the regular season. We all want them to win the championship. Thank you and good day.

10. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

People asking for Morey's head are in love with the thought of putting any problem the Rockets encounter on him, but let me ask a counter question: Who will take his spot? Morey haters are so spoiled and they don't even know it, we're one of the few teams that are competitive and also have the flexibility to make changes.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

so quiche ily xoxo

12. hakeemthagreat

I understand you're stuck on past moves. But its all about results. There are no awards for having a good regular season. You gotta get playoff victories. We can't keep accepting getting kicked out the 1st round. In the playoffs you have 7 games. The best team eventually wins. If we lose it'll fall on the GM. If we win the GM will be celebrated. No excuses

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Results are based on past moves, when you take a new job do you expect the boss to hold you accountable for stuff your predecessors did? That's not how it works in real life, why is it the case in the NBA? When Morey took the job in 2008 or whatever year it was, the team was already capped out with Tmac, Yao Ming and a bunch of old guys. Everyone knows the biggest reason why the Tmac-Yao team had missed the playoffs was due to Yao's health and yet guys like you twist it around to act like Morey is the one personally responsible for it, like he was just picking his nose while the Rox fell apart year after year.

I'm sorry, but if you blame DM and his FO for all the first round exits it just shows you have no idea how the NBA works, it's not like when you hire a GM you automatically get a new set of players. :rolleyes:

14. hakeemthagreat

I'm sorry, but I think this way of thinking is delusional. As GM, Morey's been here about 10 years. He's fired & pushed out 2 great coaches, and made more rosters moves than any other GM in the NBA. We even have a offensive philosophy called Moreyball named after Daryl morey. This is HIS roster, HIS coach with HIS philosophy. He deserves more blame for our failures than anybody. Just like he deserves praises if win the championship. But you can't play both sides of the fence. The Rockets REALLY need to have a successful playoff run this year.

Excuses don't exist after 10 years on a job

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sorry, but these aren't excuses.

The expectation is not to win a championship, its not even to make it out of the first round.

The most likely statistical outcome of any teams season is not make the playoffs or go out in the first round.

The expectation is to consistently make good moves and put us in a position to win, which he has done.

This "results or blood" nonsense is r****ded.

16. okeezie

okeezie Member

Darryl Morey's job is done for the year. He has no influence on what happens the rest of the season. I'm going to say this very clearly so you understand: The players and coaches will decide how far this team goes. So if this roster as constructed wins a title Morey did a great job but if this team as constructed loses in the first round he did a bad job? But its the same players either way. Pinning the playoff hopes on the GM after the team is assembled is the dumbest thing I've heard. McHale, Dwight, Harden, et al have more to say about our playoff success than the damn GM. My goodness.

1 person likes this.
  17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Look no GM gets ever draft pick right, wins every trade, and signs the best free agents deals, but since Morey took control he has been nothing short of brilliant. Yao, McGrady, Artest failed because of injuries. Les said no tanking. Morey went to work collecting assets and good contracts out of every corner of the basketball world. Currently we are tied for the division lead despite ALL the injures to key players! That's not treading water.

I get it you thought the trade of Canaan was bad. On paper I agree. Canaan could shoot and create his own shot in the NBA. KJ McDaniel is locked to the bench because Harden gets 38 minutes per game. But Canaan was in the dog house because he wasn't taking care of his business. Pablo provided a player that can shoot and run an offense. That made Canaan expendable. Plus Pablo has big game experience that Canaan does have coming from Murray State. Losing Beverley makes little difference because Canaan is no stopper on defense, it will be Brewer that picks up those minutes. With Brewer and Ariza on the floor, the god like PG will have it a little tougher this year in the playoffs which is better than Lin and Canaan. Keep your Grandma on the couch.

Just put away your pitchfork and enjoy the season. Morey is not perfect but he is really good and you know it. Come on back to the Morey supporter side.

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

Name a GM who has changed the culture more of the NBA than Morey over the past 10 years. Nobody.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Sorry, meant to say

Name a GM who has changed the culture of the NBA over the past 10 years more than Morey. Nobody.

Makes more sense. Lol.

20. hakeemthagreat

So according to Obeezie...A GM's job is judged ONLY by his regular season success and when playoff time comes he has nothing to do with how the results pan out?

BTW this logic is insane. The GM picks the roster, pick the coach & implements his own philosphy named after him "Moreyball", but somehow escapes any responsibility if the team fails when he it counts. Good luck with that one buddy:)