1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey is so overrated

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketsmanhk, Feb 23, 2015.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wait, what excuse?

I was only pointing out how unbelievably stupid it is to say that "all teams have had injuries" as if they are all equal.

It is rare that I agree with much you say, but if we play SA in the first round I too would have us penciled in for a loss. Any other team we can realistically end up playing I like our chances.

You sure are assuming a lot of things go right for us health wise, which is strange because you have a knack for strictly believing that things will go very wrong for your favorite team and you seem to take a lot of joy in it.

2. Ranny

Ranny Member

Correct!!! He builds the team, places all the pieces in the best possible environment so they thrive and succeed but he doesn't actually play the games himself, the players do and they are accountable more than anybody when they fail.

Of course if failure happens every year, and you have a great team and yet you never reach at least minimum set goals then eventually a GM needs to go, but this is really his second year with a really good team, and the very first team that he builds himself that we can comfortably say is a REAL contender.

3. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

wow.. its crazy how either some people either forget, or dont realize that Morey has been trying to rebuild this team since he took over!

2007-2008 - 1st Round Loss Jazz (Injuries to Rafer, McGrady played hurt, No Yao)
    2008-2009 - 2nd Round Loss Lakers (No Yao, Deke, or McGrady)
    2009-2010 - Rebuild
    2010-2011 - Rebuild
    2011-2012 - Rebuild
    2012-2013 - 1st Round Loss Thunder (1 seed vs 8 seed. You're delusional if you thought the Rockets had a chance to win that series)
    2013-2014 - 1st Round Loss Blazers (should have won. no excuses)
    2014-2015 - TBD

Of the 4 times the Rockets have been to playoffs, they're best shots were last year and in 08-09 to make some noise in the playoffs. 08-09 squad played with some major heart and stones and took the eventual NBA champs to 7 games undermanned and severely undersized after losing Yao and Deke in the playoffs (Scola/Hayes vs Pau/Bynum).

Last year was the only year that IMO was inexcusable that they lost in the 1st round.

4. hakeemthagreat

But he certainly hires the coach to coach that team. Also, I'm sure you're aware "Moreyball" isn't Mchale's philosphy...

5. Ranny

Ranny Member

Funny thing is that when the season started some people didn't even believe that we would make it to the playoffs...

I wonder what would happen with the haters if all the stars align in our favor, if the unthinkable happens and we do end up winning the championship this year... would we ever see them again around here?

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Seriously, why do you follow the rockets?

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The same reason I started following them since 03. any more questions or concerns?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why do you post here?

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Put your money where your mouth is? We're getting out of the first.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well I thought you never ask.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

I follow the Rockets because of Lin and stayed because of Ariza.

12. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Buford and riley have also had the best player in the league at some point to build around. Once again its not Morey's fault that Mcgrady had Vaginitis and Yao Ming broke down. He did manage to get Ron artest to the rockets without giving up any talent but its not his fault that our main players kept getting hurt. How many rings will Riley win now that Lebron James is gone? How many rings has the so called best gm Rc buford won when Duncan was hurt? How many will he win when Duncan retires?

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Obviously there are some Rockets followers on here who have a problem with the fact that Daryl Morey is "Geekzilla".

I have identified that problem.

You are your own problem.

Go Rockets.

14. hakeemthagreat

So you're saying if you criticize the GM your not a Rocket fan? Even if you were a Rocket fan before that GM got here? Um, I'm leaving this one alone. Good luck Cheke

1 person likes this.
  15. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Im not sure you watch basketball.

16. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

None of what you said takes away from what FTW Rockets FTW said.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Except for the fact that regular season success is actually NOT "Fools Gold" and the better you are seated going into the playoffs, history shows those higher seeded teams perform dramatically better. Also look up how far teams with the league MVP typically go in the playoffs. 06/07 MVP with Dirk and the Mavs going out in the first round seems like one of the few cases against.

Go look up how many times in NBA history the top seed makes the finals.

Any other year when there isn't a team as dominant as the Warriors have been the Rockets could have very well been in play for the 1 seed in the entire West, and dramatically would have been favored to make it to at least the conference finals.

Even this year, if they are in the 2 or 3 seed, they technically will be favored to move to the 2nd or 3rd round.

All that being said, regular season success matters at the end of the day regardless. Enough to where some players with very little post season success have even made the hall of fame. Yes postseason success is the primary objective but it doesn't mean you should not be satisfied AT THIS POINT with a historically great regular season with great positioning going into the playoffs, and you shouldn't celebrate an MVP season from your young star. Its preposterous not to.

18. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Morey is underrated and overrated at the same time ;)
    Morey should be blame for one thing: extending McHale, so basically giving him the keys to the ride for the next few years, only to leave him short handed by only giving him one chauffeur.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

While some people may be satisfied with a good regular season performance, others may have higher standards like winning a single playoff series.

20. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Why are you all so down on the Rockets before the playoffs have even started? Put last year behind you - that's over and done with. Focus on how we are getting most of our guys back as the regular season ends.

Yeah, Beverley is out and that's a bummer. But we have the MVP on our team, Dwight is rounding into shape and is presumably fresh from all his rest, the team is poised to gel at the right time with all the players coming back, and we have experienced vets who don't lose games by turning the ball over at the end of the game or by missing wide open lay ups against Portland at the end of the game.

I think that's a fair way to look at it. We could get Dallas or LAC, depending on our seed. I think there's a good chance we beat them.