1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Galveston Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Jun 17, 2014.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Spent last weekend in Galveston with the wife and kids.

Rode the ferry and saw some dolphins jumping, hit up Jimmie's and had a fantastic shrimp po-boy, Blue Water Grill for a big fat juicy bacon cheeseburger, The Strand for some shopping, homemade chocolate, ice cream for the boys and beers for the wife and me.

Lots of seaweed along the seawall, but not much on Pirates Beach (where we stay).

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

At this time perhaps too late to revive the song. Nobody has heard it in the last 35 years.

If they had kept playing it, it would be still be current.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Galveston is underrated. Sure there are better beaches in the world. Every time I cross the bridge get this great feeling. Sadly only a couple times a year.

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I was there last Saturday and the rotting seaweed caused the seawall area to stink horribly. Stay to the west end towards the State Park and you should be fine.

5. distence

distence Contributing Member

can you share location on google maps?

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If anybody is down in Galveston, I play with a jazz trio every Saturday (unless I have a better gig) in the Tremont House lobby. Some Friday's too.

7. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

How long have you been playing that gig?

8. the shark

the shark Member

The bar on the roof of the Tremont is awesome!!

If i get down there I'll certainly check you guys out.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

The tremont is just plain awesome

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm in Galveston today actually, but I'll be watching the game tonight.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Off and on since November? Usually, the bass and piano stay the same and I rotate with a trumpet player (I play sax). We used to alternate weekends but we're changing it up where he plays Fridays and I play Saturdays (unless I have a better paying gig). ;) But I'm playing Friday and Saturday both this week and next and all Saturdays after that, except for May 8, I'll be playing that Friday instead. 6-10.

There was a different group in there before us. I've been told that they weren't very good.

Some of my first gigs ever were down in Galveston, playing with a ska band at Yaga's. Played Mardi Gras a couple of times with that same band too, opening up for Kool & the Gang one year. I hadn't played down there in a long time and then I played a production of Rocky Horror at the theater across the street from the Tremont and started doing the jazz gigs and now I'm down there all the time. I'm doing another musical, Urinetown, at that theater in July and August.

1 person likes this.
  12. droxford

droxford Member

Just got back from spending Father's Day at Galveston and had a great time. Went with the family and my wife's cousin's family.

We like the West end. We ended up at Beach Access point 26 (we like to park on the beach, right at the waterline). NO SEAWEED TODAY!!! Also no problems with waves or currents. Temp was 86, but felt very cool in the shade with ocean breeze.

Great time at the beach!

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

All I remember about Galveston were the brown concrete sheds that looked like the Gibraltar logo.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Was in Galveston about two or three weeks ago. No seaweed! It was fun. Ride bikes on the sea wall. I think I need to check out Galveston more.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They have been really cleaning up the island since Ike. It has gotten better and better. Has the right amount of attractions now to make for a good 3+ day trip when before it could be done in two days. If only Moody Gardens was a little more like Sea World and had some rides. I think that is something that is missing.

16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Took my 5 and 2 year old boys to the same spot Saturday, we had a blast. The water was as warm as bath water and the beach wasn't crowded in the slightest. Best time I've had there in years. First time my boys have been there. Almost felt like that for me, watching them run around having so much fun. We will definitely go back soon.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

whenever I can, I like to address the popular opinion that Galveston waters are dirty...like oil field dirty.

It is about what makes sand. In the pretty beaches, sand is made from silicon like quartz. In Galveston, sand is made from a historical bed of oysters. That's why our sand is grey. It's not about the water being dirty.

18. droxford

droxford Member

Well, the water is an ugly, murky brown. Always has been. Always will be (no thanks to the Mississippi river).

But it's beach that's only about an hour away. Once you accept the brown-water thing, and once you build a good go-to-Galveston system, it can be a really fun time.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Everybody stop with all the praise of Galveston and debunking all the urban myths!

Its a dirty island! The water is brown! Nobody needs to come here! Please don't come in droves!

(Obviously being sarcastic for selfish reasons... Galveston remains an underrated gem in this part of the state).

#99 Nick, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not always brown... just on days where the mississippi water doesn't go anywhere.

[​IMG]