1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Galveston Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Phil Silvers once sold Jed Clampett on a plan to pull all the pollution out of Beverly Hills with big fans that blew it out into the desert, so yes, I think there may be a way.

[​IMG]

2. HPD

HPD Member

Leave my icecream alone!!!!

3. delishman

delishman Member

So if a guy were in his mid 20's.. how fun would the Strand be to party at? Do the bars stay open late? Is more restaurants that sell beer or actual bars?

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Best casual place in the Houston area to hang out at that age, IMO. I spent my mid 20s through early 30s hanging out there in shorts, flip flops and tshirts. A lot of people don't realize this but there are three colleges, so it keeps the nightlife young. Not only is it fun, but it's cheap to drink there too, unlike hanging out in Downtown Houston.

There are a lot of bars there and don't neglect to walk a few blocks to 21st and Post Office street to Molly's pub and Old Cellar bar. That may be the best part about it- no need to drive to the next spot as you can just walk.

5. NateNate

NateNate Member

You young whippersnappers take note.....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tHjWil-f3C8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

In my more replete days, I frequented Mollys and OCB. Over on Strand I would dance with many of the European and Asian females that are in Galveston each summer on work programs. I lived in the Seasons apartment complex also and had a fully stocked war chest of alcohol to be consumed. So the party never stopped when the clubs/bars closed, it just moved somewhere else. If not my place than numerous other locations around the island. I was friends with several bar backs that worked the Balanese room and I would often bring a group of young ladies with me for extracurriculars in the back bar's hidden second floor hangout. Another friend of mine had a stilt house in Sea Isle that would be a landing place.

Final summation, be yourself, get to know people, make friends with people who like to add to the party not just take, and please drink responsibly.

7. Bob Barker 007

If you go to the West End between Beach Access 33 and Beach Access 34, you will find a nice spot on the beach without much seaweed. Relatively speaking, the beach access is between San Luis Pass and Jamaica Beach. No need to thank me. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

good find bro! rep to you

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

What's the best place to go if we want to mainly picnic and bbq? If there is cover then that would be great too. Swimming is just secondary if at all.
    I remember West Beach or something having big cement covers and grills but that was a long time ago. Haven't been in decades.

10. Dubious

That's the State Park

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Galveston Island SP is good, but there's also Sea Wolf Park and then there's Fort Travis on Bolivar. The latter two you can't swim but seem nice for picnicking.

12. tharges

tharges Member

Is there any good map for fishing? I have an elderly uncle who loves to fish and jetties are not easy to fish from for him. I have taken him to sea wolf park, 61st street pier, and 91st street pier. I really want to take him to some new spotts. I appreciate any help you can provide.

13. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

What is the situation with seaweed now? I have avoided going to Galveston since the reports of seaweed started.

14. Dubious

It's quit coming in, it's dry-ish but there on the West end, smells a little. The seawall is still disgusting. I never go East of 61st.

Last week, under the Low Pressure and Northerly breeze, it was flat as a lake; no waves, none. Fishermen were pretty thick on the beachfront but only catching whiting, croakers, black tips and hardheads.

Haven't been this week

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Went to galveston today cause we were bored. Played football on the beach. My god. I'm out of shape. Just for fun, I dug into the sand and it was black. The seaweed stank. The water scared the **** out of me. It was still fun anyway.

I drove into Galveston about three Fridays ago, and the water looked fantastic, but I couldn't get on the beach that day.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I did not live in Texas. I think that song might have been the first time I heard of Galveston. It might have been number one or very high that year.

I THINK THE FOLKS RUNNING GALVESTON ARE MORONS FOR NOT PROMOTING THAT SONG.

Go to San Fran or NYC and you will hear famous songs with their name on the airways. Not Galveston. It is like folks are ashamed of it or something.

STUPID

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Maybe they don't want to associate Galveston with the Viet Nam War?

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Perhaps. "If you go to San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair"

They still blew it.

Good song. Millions lost in free promotion. imho

PS I understand that ClearChannel has scrubbed the play lists to rid them of songs like "Ruby" another sort of country song that reminded folks of the Vietnam War.

19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Galveston has the geriatric demographic squared away.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That version blows goats. Jimmy Webb owns. (and he wrote the song)
    <object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/XCMOLEy9sWE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/XCMOLEy9sWE?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>