1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

low risk? vanguard admiral fund
    if you want a higher risk and guaranteed money every year you can put it into dividend stocks. You can get back 2-4% and you can cash it out or just reinvest.

2. Major

Major Member

If you don't know what you're doing, I would suggest one of 3 routes depending on how involved you want to be and how much you trust others:

1. Buy just a few broad market funds. This is your simplest route to give you diversity and lower risk while maintaining control of your investments. Maybe an S&P fund - that covers the core of the US market. Maybe an international fund of some sort to get world exposure. And then some other kind of fund to give you some diversification or focus on a specific area - maybe a single country fund, a sector-fund (tech, utilities, health care, whatever), or a bond/gold/alternative fund of some sort. A lot of people will end up with 15-20 funds - that's silly and just over-diversifies you without any real benefit (and paying lots of extra commissions). Stick with just a handful - you can do more than 3, but there's just no need for a whole bunch if the funds themselves are diversified already.

2. Let Chase or some other money manager manage it. You can talk to them about your risk preferences, goals, time frame, etc. The advantage here is that they know more than you and will manage it actively. The negative is that you have to trust their decision making and they will charge a fee for it. They will probably also over-diversify as I mentioned above - don't know why, but it seems like it makes people feel "safer".

3. If you want to be more involved and take on additional risk but manage your money more directly, this is a good site:

https://www.motifinvesting.com

From there, you can pick specific "motifs". Click the "Explore Motifs" link and it will show a bunch of different ideas. Say, "Wearable Tech". Then it will show you individual stocks that are involved in that area. You can then either take ideas from there, or they will buy the whole collection of stocks for you for a commission. I've never actually used the site, but it seems like an interesting way to go for people having ideas on what they want to invest in but not sure how best to do it.

1 person likes this.
  3. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Basically this except for a few things:

Go with ETF's, instead of loaded mutual funds.

Don't just buy a mutual fund of a single country or a single sector.

It destroys the function of a fund --- which is to diversify.

Buying a fund of one nation or sector is not really a good form of diversification.

If you have to go with mutual funds, go with Vanguard.

But, Vanguard offers ETFs similar to their mutual funds.

So that is something to think about.

But if you choose the second route, stick with a big investing firm.

Never go with the small investing firm.

I'm not saying they're not as good as the big ones, but if something happens (Ponzi Schemes) you'll be covered.

Finally, if you are thinking of the last route --- STUDY, RESEARCH, and DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN.

Its a long process and requires a lot of time.

Whichever you choose, remember that there are risk in investing.

So don't go into it thinking you won't lose anything.

Goodluck!

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Tsla down 10% and MU down 5%....

Ouch

5. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

CHUY has been on an absolute tear recently. Up over 18% since I posted this on 8/27/2014. Holding this one long term.

6. theimpossibles1

Would right now be a good time to buy TSLA?

7. joeyyungrocks

joeyyungrocks Member

Yea I looked at this stock before the valuation is about 10 million per store right now based on the 48 or so locations they have. If they were to expand to as many stores as chilis has then this is a cheap cheap stock at the moment. However I don't know how other places will take "real" tex mex food.
    Also I got food poisoning from them once, that my skew my view some too.

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Chuy's is expanding into the Washington DC metro area soon.

Every red blooded American thinks they love Mexican food. What they all really love is Tex-Mex food.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

todays downside was from Morgan Stanley saying that it moved up too fast too soon. So it dumped 10%. This comment comes on the heels of Musk stating something to the fact of "the stock is high right now" last week. If you want to look at technicals, the stock moved from under 180 to 286 in 6 months and 220 to 280 in about 6 weeks.

It would usually pull back 50% of the main delta of $100. So that would be somewhere in the 230s.

However, in this case with this momentum stock, I would wait a little to see where it settles especially with the overbought condition in the market and the dumping of certain stocks to buy alibaba.

10. benchmoochie

all the momentums were down. PCLN. TSLA. LNKD.

pcln has been down about 10% in ten days. BOoM!

11. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I'm taking a hefty UVXY long position for a swing trade here.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

What's the general consensus on Alibaba as a long term investment?

13. benchmoochie

I guess it would depend what you paid for it as with everything. ha ha sorry for the sarcastic comment.

14. The Stig

The Stig Member

Alibaba IPOs today and no buzz on this thread?

Looking to see if they become another Facebook with all the hype surrounding it. Overreaction galore coming on BABA.

15. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I'm surprise this is not as hot as the iPhone 6 thread.

16. The Stig

The Stig Member

Rumours out that they're going for $80-$85 range. Yeah, I'm fairly certain that's gonna drop. Are they that much bigger than Amazon and Ebay combined?

17. benchmoochie

on overall market. could be no rate hike till 9--12 months from here. Spx gonna plow towards 2100

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They got $68 but this thing is indicating to open at $92-$93 now. Sucks that it didn't open at $80 cause I would have loaded up.

19. The Stig

The Stig Member

The predictions they've made originally has gone up almost 40%. They are predicting this company is worth over $230bn? ehhhhh. not sure.

20. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Yes, they are bigger than Amazon and eBay combined.

Current indication is now at $92 - $93.

This morning it was at $82 -$83.