1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, are we done with all the moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ibm, Jul 4, 2015.

1. fwood_rockets

fwood_rockets Member

When looking at a player acquisition system as hit and miss as the draft, it's about amassing as much player value as possible, even if it doesn't necessarily improve the team in the short run. You address team needs through FA and trades.

To me, there are two types of value: real and perceived. Real value is what a player gives you on the court. Perceived value is what other teams think his real value would be on their team and what you think his real value will be in the future on your team. There is often a difference between these two and one is not better than the other.

When you reach to draft someone based on fit, you are passing over players who have a higher perceived value to other teams in exchange for some real value in the short term. It seems to me that you should draft the player who has higher perceived value, which you can then turn into a player with comparable value but also is a fit on your team through trade, giving you higher real value than drafting on fit. Or the roster could simply undergo a lot of changes in the next 1-2 years and that player is now a fit for the team and gives you more real value than the player drafted on fit.

But I do see your point, especially since trades are not easy or simple affairs. But again since the draft is so hit and miss when it comes to real value that perceived value ends up being more valuable to the team in the long run.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Doubtful. Morey is the biggest family man in the NBA. He might have been there on business but Morey's not a strip club guy.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Done with all the moves? It's only July 4th man. Grab a beer, some BBQ and remember that Morey is NEVER done with making moves.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Bring back Aaron Brooks. Our best shooter from a couple years ago. And incredibly undervalued.

5. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I would shoot for Collison (w/KPap, TJones and/or draft choices as bait) as other suggested. If that fails, trade KPap for Chalmers straight up. Miami would likely love to have the cap relief and lower their tax bill since they are way over the taxpayers level for next year. Chalmers would be a good one year rental at $4.3M. Jerryd Bayless is another easy get for a one year rental, since Milwaukee has way too many PGs on their roster. He's got one year left on his deal at $3M, so would be an easy salary match.

I would rather have Brooks at the Vet Minimum than JET - strictly due to JET's age. JET is just too old to bet on being healthy and effective as a backup.

#45 PolarBear, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  6. pippsux

pippsux Member

Asked the same thing too? LMA is a spur, mavs are much improved....we need to do a little more than patting ourselves on the back for resigning our own ppl on the cheap. Especially since the huge upgrades in our own state....nay...our own division.
    Just saying.

7. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

mav putting out their best team in 3 years but team is still work in progress. They are 2-3 years out. They need a large pG and numerous bench additions. They will have to replace dirk when he leaves. They are banking on signing durant like everyone else.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I just had lunch at a Portland Qdoba. There was a guy there that sort of looked like Morey. He was on the phone while drinking a hard lemonade. I think he was probably talking to Durant. Or his wife. It wasn't that clear. I didn't ask because I know famous people don't like regular folks interfering with their burrito eating.

9. ibm

ibm Member

i am so sorry if i have confused you. :rolleyes:

technically, the team we have now and the one heading into next year's playoffs could be different, or could be pretty much the same. no one knows. even morey doesnt and cant know. you have to take what the market gives you. so what you said was technically incorrect. maybe we wont even make the playoffs. at this point before a season starts, nothing is impossible.

and, i wasnt really interested in if we're done or just getting started for the offseason moves. no one knows the answer either, no matter what one says. we can only guess.

what i was interested was to get a gauge that if this is the roster on the kickoff day next season, are we happy as fans.

now why i am spending 2 mins replying to your post in a thread i started is kinda confusing. :p

10. ZomgZ

ZomgZ Member

Didnt james harden request for the rockets to go out and get help at the point guard job?

Got to be something now brewing on the trade front now that everyone is getting signed and rockets aint signing anyone but there own agents.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Why would KD be in Portland? I get Morey mayyyybe being there because of T-Jones' ProAM thing..

13. #Pursuit

#Pursuit Member

Knowing Morey, we're NEVER done. I mean, just look at how we picked up Brewer and Smith midseason, and the production they've brought to this team. Rather than rushing and settling, let's be patient and see what Morey can pull out his sleeve.