1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do these mocks say we need PG when we have Lowry/Dragic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I see the picks showing us getting a C or PF, but then some show PG either in the 1st or 2nd. Is Lowry or Dragic not good enough?

2. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Lowry is still a very underrated PG. I can see him..within the next 2 years being one of the top 5 PGs in the league (not all time) and being considered for all-star trips... He can score, defend, and has very underrated court-vision.

He improved in every statistical category last year and I expect him to do the same this year.

3. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Most of the mocks are horrible. They assess who we will pick based on need while Morey has almost always ignored positional needs.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

I highly doubt we'll select at both number 14 and number 23.

Houston should trade K-Mart to get into the top 2 and just throw in any pick or player on our team.

Kanter.

5. Zfan

Zfan Member

Cause they didn't watch one Rocket game. They just checked the roster and transaction mentioned AB to Suns then wrote something like we want a replacement of AB.

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Actually, I think Morey needs to find a way to turn Scola into Al Jefferson. That would be a really amazing magic trick. We need to leave our back court alone. It has the potential to be one of the best in the league next year. All those players will be even better next year. If we have to trade any of our guards, it's TWill, Dragic, and Lee, but Lowry and Martin should not be traded for anything less than a superstar player. Lowry and Martin compliment eachother too well.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

I got to watch some of the NBA TV coverage yesterday with Kanter working out against some of the other draft eligible bigs and he was getting his shot blocked right and left. A small sampling but still.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

I know we are all rocket fans here, but how do you envision lowry being better than paul/dwill/rose/westbrook/wall.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think Morey should try to somehow turn Scola and fillers into Iguodala.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

It's from people that don't watch enough Rockets. I heard on the radio this morning (don't remember if it was 610 or 1560) someone named Buck? I think. He said the Rockets needs were Forward and Point Guard.

I could not believe what I was listening to, these guys are from Houston and don't even bother educating themselves before going on hair and spouting crazy crap like that. I can only assume that since we traded last season's starter and MIP from last season that they automatically assume that is the position of need.

The truth is the point guard postition is a position of strength for the Rockets as it is presently constructed, unless you think Lowry or Dragic are going to seriously digress or get traded.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

On this team he is better. The fact is having Lowry shows that we don't need those guys.

12. ironariza

ironariza Member

r u really senior in this bbs?

do you know 3pg?

we need a third pg

that is it

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Reality is Lowry had a great 3/4 of a season but it would foolish of the Rockets to assume Kyle will stay or even continue to grow his game, he might but no assurances. Dragic is a restricted free agent next season and who knows how he will continue to develop. I wouldn't take a pg with the 13th pick but with the 23rd or 38th...why not.

14. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Because not knowing what the **** they're talking about isn't going to stop them from talking.

15. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

It's also been part of that Best Player Available approach Morey also practices. If he feels a player grades out better than others, he will take that player even if that player is at a stacked position. See taking Brooks when Alston and James were on the roster along with having interest in bringing back Francis that summer too.

He will always be open to moving a player down the road. If a pg for example is taken, it could open the door for trading Dragic for a wing or that pg in a package for another player.

The roster will not be "finished" for the regular season after tomorrow night. Trades could eliminate an abundance.

16. AXG

AXG Member

Outside of Irving, Knight and Walker, I don't see anyone who is/ potentially can be better than Lowry.

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Doh!!

18. Asian Sensation

I can't envision Lowry being better than the players you mentioned and didn't mention such as Rondo, Curry, Jennings (maybe). But Lowry fits our needs and as mentioned he's severely underrated in the league.

He's still young, he's made vast improvements each year and he's on a very reasonable contract. When you consider all those things he's extremely valuable to us. All the players that you mentioned and I mentioned are either already on max contracts or will be due for max contracts when the time comes.

I don't know about you but I'd rather roll with Lowry and his contract especially when you factor in his dedication and room to grow & improve like he has.

19. redao

redao Member

BPA >>> needs.

when in doubt, draft small.

PGs have a much higher success rate than any other positions.

20. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

on that note i agree with Morey 100%! its a flawed approach to consider need, especially when the chances of getting an immediate impact player is small. who knows what the team needs will be when the player chosen is actually able to contribute?