1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why do these mocks say we need PG when we have Lowry/Dragic?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jun 22, 2011.

1. brosef

brosef Member

the bad part is you are dead serious with this. :(

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Sorry...but any of those players would fit out "needs" just fine. Great passing point guards with the ability to score (other than westbrook) are hard to pass on, and if Morey was given the choice between Lowry and any of those guards, it's a no brainer.

I love lowry as a guard, but those are franchise point guards we're talking about.

3. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Was wondering the same thing. They said on NBATV draft preview we needed a pg too.

4. AFS

AFS Member

I don't think we need one to replace Lowry, but being 3 deep at PG is pretty dang useful. I think we can agree that experimenting with C.Lee at PG didn't go terribly well last season, so Lowry and Dragic are the only PGs on the team. Last season, we got to a point where Ish Smith was our starting PG for a few games. I think picking up a PG with the 38 would be a good thing.

Of course, I have no idea why we'd take a PG with the 14, or even the 23.

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

We need every position. Other than Martin, no one is a star that wouldn't be replaced on a contending team. Draft best/most potential, even if he is a SG, chances are by the time we're able to contend, Martin will have broken down.

6. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

It’s actually really simple. Most mock drafts go by best talent available, rather than addressing what is most needed.

7. Yoda

Yoda Member

Agreed OP. I've been looking at these mocks since the playoffs and sometimes they had us choosing a pg with our first pick. Clearly, none of them watched a single Rockets game. Were set at pg.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Are you smoking crack? Why in the hell would we waste a roster spot on a 3rd PG? To play garbage time? Sign me up and I'll play PG.

Good post, rook.

9. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

First of all, Wall was arguably the worst starting PG in the NBA last year, so don't know where that comparison came from.

Anyway, Lowry isn't paid to be a superstar. This team was a better offensive team than any of those teams were and he's an excellent defender as well. That's all that needs to be said. If we want a volume scorer like Westbrook or Rose then we can go out and spend the $14 mil that we're saving and get one.

Other than volume scoring there's nothing that those guards are better at than Lowry.

10. Rockets34Legend

Are you smoking crack? Why in the hell would we waste a roster spot on a 3rd PG? To play garbage time? Sign me up and I'll play PG.

Good post, rook. :rolleyes:

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

To be fair, just look at last season and what happened to AB. Courtney Lee is a REALLY nice player but he isn't a PG so if Kyle or Goran go down then we have only one true PG left.

12. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Lotto teams don't spend first rounders on guaranteed 3rd stringers.

13. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

We have a winner. :rolleyes:

We don’t need a third string PG. Third strings Pgs are for teams who don’t have and 2’s or 3’s with ball handles. In this case, our 2nd string SG (Lee) could run point if need be, and even Budinger has adequate handles to bring the ball up the floor.

Otherwise we would’ve held on to Ish Smith, for he had some of the best handles and pure PG skills this team had seen in a while. Rook.

14. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Signed David Kahn

1 person likes this.
  15. alethios

alethios Member

Aaron Brooks, for example

16. rockets934life

It's a late 1st rd pick not the 5th pick. Our roster is packed, like I mentioned earlier, don't use the 13th pick but after that it's BPA. If a PG is that player then go for it.

Once we dumped Ish, if Lowry or Goran had to sit out the other ended up playing 40 min and I guess people forgot how the team looked with CLee running the show.

17. Rockets34Legend

I understand what happened last season, but it's a rare instance. We got Ish Smith off the street instead of wasting it on an actual draft pick.

For our 3rd PG, I would just draft an undrafted FA or get someone veteran cheap in FA.

I know this draft is weak, but we need some big bodies at C and SF. PG is the least of this team's worries.

18. van chief

van chief Member

Morey is jus tout there spreading disinformation, that way when he drafts a
    6' 9" forward/center everyone will be surprised

19. rockets934life

Understood but If a PG that is much higher rated then a SF might be there then I really don't want to choose a lesser player just because it's a position of need. Now, if we go with a SF at 13 then drafting a big might just become to much of a need to pass up. At 38, it doesn't matter, you have to go for value at those selections.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

BPA approach results in an excess of redundant assets. Attempt to draft for need, if that doesn't work draft to trade for need, hopefully on draft night. If that doesn't work, fill needs through later trades or free agency. That just makes sense to me. But, I'm not a hot shot genius GM, just an ole fan trying to hang on to my memories and love of the Rockets.