1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you. Chicago will try to sell Anthony on playing in a larger market, on playing for Thibs and with Noah and a "healthy" Rose. They will also say the path to the Finals is easier in the East.

The Rockets can counter that Anthony would be playing with the BEST available team, that Rose is probably going to get hurt again and that the Bulls will try to make him change his game, and that the Bulls will be gutted if they trade for Anthony.

2. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

No offense taken. I get your reasoning on why the Knicks would want to get something for Melo rather than him walking for nothing, I just don't think the Knicks want what the Rockets will offer.

I don't believe Dolan will take back Lin and as valuable as I think Asik is, they are already paying Chandler.

The Rockets best chance at Melo is to clear enough space to entice him, without the Knicks' involvement, and then a s&t would be more feasible. I don't believe Asik nor Lin end up on the Knicks, so Morey will have to do some extra maneuvering

3. torocan

torocan Member

Actually, them having Chandler is one of the main reasons to take on Asik. Having Asik on the roster gives them the flexibility to choose to trade Chandler (and free more cap space) for more assets or hold on to Chandler (in spite of cap issues) and trade Asik for more assets and picks.

Most teams still need a Center, so having both available for trades for picks and other assets will help significantly in rebuilding.

And Lin wouldn't be the deal breaker if Phil is really running the show. Phil is interested in building the team. He has no baggage with any Rockets players. When Lin expires he'll be a free agent with bird right, and then can be either used in a S&T at the going market value (for assets/picks) or re-signed at the current market value (whatever that is), or simply allowed to walk (freeing cap space). All scenario's benefit the Knicks given that the Knicks are currently way over the cap.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well reasoned deal. Makes sense all the way around. If the Knicks are going to rebuild, being able to have assets (assets to turn into picks) makes a TON of sense.

5. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you.

Asik and/or Chandler both will have good trade value at the trade deadline next season. Both will be expiring and both are quality defenders and starters. A number of teams, including playoff teams, would trade assets to add a quality starting 5 at the deadline.

Lin most likely will have limited trade value unless he really thrives in NYC, but his inclusion is not going to kill a trade between Hou and NYC, and there are people that will still go to see Lin. He may be able to distract the fan base for a year while the Knicks get their house in order.

Honestly a Melo to Houston deal makes the most sense for both teams.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL at Phil Jackson.

Al Iannazzone ‏@Al_Iannazzone 2h
    Phil said he hopes Carmelo Anthony "stays true to his word" and be willing to take less to give Knicks more flexibility.

Ummmm... Hate to break it to you Phil but he wasn't referring to taking less for the Knicks. He was referring to taking less to join A CONTENDER.... hint: not the Knicks the next 3 years.

Al Iannazzone ‏@Al_Iannazzone 2h
    So if Melo re-signs: Phil said, "man are we fortunate." if he doesn't: "man are we fortunate... and we're moving forward."

Man... well I'll tell you from a coaching strategy standpoint with his quotes to the media are genius.

As a GM with contract & free agent negotiation standpoint, he sucks.

There is no way if I'm the GM of the Knicks that I go out and A. Insinuate Melo is going to get less (A GM like Morey is going to start prepping how to get that max offer ASAP to blind-side the Knicks) and B. Tell your max free agent that he shouldn't expect a max deal from his team... therefore, he's probably going to go to OTHER teams first to get that max offer, and shove it in Phil's face when he goes to the Knicks to negotiate.

Melo and his agent will have much more power and leverage than the Knicks going into free agency if Phil keeps on opening his mouth like this. He needs to shut it, and tell Melo everything he wants to hear or else the Knicks will quickly end up being exactly where the Lakers were this last year.... a joke of the league except their first round pick will probably come in a very weak draft next year.

If the Bulls and Rockets want Melo, I dont think its going to be hard at all to get him.

Also- anyone saying the Knicks are better off rebuilding and letting Melo walk doesn't know what they are talking about. The Knicks are a year removed from being a 50 win team with Melo as their centerpiece and could be a 50 win team again in 2 years. Without Melo and a full rebuild, they are LUCKY to be a 50 win team in 5 years.

7. Nook

Nook Member

First thing out of Daryl Morey's mouth to Anthony and his agent: "I know Phil Jackson doesn't think you are worth the max, but we sure as hell do."

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

What a joke.

The Knicks only selling point is that they can offer 5 years 133 million. If they don't offer every penny of that, they have no chance. Factoring in, state and city taxes, even then, that amount is greatly diluted.

9. dobro1229

Or, you can take less to stay with the Knicks (who are obviously valuing you lower than you market) or you can take that same contract and join two superstars, the 2014 #2 & #3 ranked Most improved players, and a top 3 defensive PG in the league... oh... WITH most of their 1st round draft picks (assuming they can move Asik & Lin by not having to move more than 1 first round pick), and an available mid-level exception to bring in even more talent.

I can see Morey's power point presentation now. Choice A. Vs. Choice B., C., D., Z. The PP presentation will be such an incredibly easy sell its not even funny.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

To add to this, Chicago is a notorously cheap franchise.

I could see them pursuing Melo, but trying to do it on the cheap. Boozer would have to amnestied, so 16 million of dead money.

All in all, I LOVE our chances at landing Melo, because our GM is a gangster :cool:

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

True. And strange, given that Da Bulls are still one of the top NBA franchises money-wise.

:cool:Damn it feels good to be a gangsta...:cool:

12. rokit

rokit Member

lots of marketing opportunities in NYC, even if you're not winning.

13. dobro1229

That's overblown. I think Durant is #3 in the league in endorsements(behind Lebron and Rose) and the guy plays in bumf#$% Oklahoma.

The extra 9 million in earnings he was reported making all came from his GLOBAL endorsements anyways (Nike/Jordan). Any local endorsements he received were probably very minimal.

And if you want to "market" yourself globally, would you rather be playing on a bad team in New York, or would rather be on national TV once a week and making yearly trips to Asia with Yao Ming by your side?

14. Nook

Nook Member

Yes there are lots of marketing opportunities in NYC, and lots of competition from the Yankees, Mets, Nets, Jets and Giants. Also, no one wants a loser endorsing their product.

It is like this..... does Carmelo wanted to be remembered like Adrian Dantley, Glenn Robinson and Kiki Vandeweghe or does he want to be remembered as a player that was a winner in his prime and not just a gutless scorer.

15. afk

afk Member

So, most of us can agree that the only reason Melo stays in NY would be because Jackson has his family hostage.

16. steady

steady Member

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If Chicago amnesties Boozer to get Melo I hope we grab him. As a cheap 4 he would be bring some good minutes.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I like this idea.

19. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

A big reason why Melo would choose Houston over Chicago... same consideration Dwight gave... NO TAX. He can take a little less than max and still have more money in the pocket than going to Chicago.

20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Me too. Imagine something like Asik/Lin/Jones/Dmo for Melo and Shumpert.

Then use the MLE to sign Boozer and go over the cap to resign Parsons.

Bev/Cannan
    Harden/Shumpert
    Parsons/Garcia
    Melo/Boozer
    Howard

Yes please!