1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do Texans need to do...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wattafan, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

...to compete with Clots?
    With Andrew Luck at their helm, they are going to be a perennial powerhouse consigning the Texans to wildcard chases and road playoff games.
    So, Texans do have a an elite player to build around and he is on the defense.
    It would seem obvious that Texans will have to develop that D further around Watt and make it our trademark.
    I think we saw glimpses of it this season so a couple of good pieces added at key spots would make it something else.
    JJ needs help with another rushing threat on the line and the secondary needs at least one shutdown corner - another top ILB would also help.
    Those three will take time to accumulate, but at the same time, Texans can build the oline to help whoever they have calling their signals.
    They must at all costs continue to keep a strong running game to also help the QB.
    Good receivers also will be necessary so it is obvious that to build a team that can really compete with Indy, it is going to take a few years to put these pieces in place.
    Even though I believe the coaching staff is a big step forward, unfortunately Texans will still struggle for a while yet.
    So, for the purposes of this thread, please feel free to post your own ideas on how to accomplish improving our team asap.
    Player names etc, from the draft, trades and FA can be mentioned.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Its all about acquiring talent now.

Draft and sign good players. Be smart with the cap.

Of course find a good QB.

Can't afford draft and signing debacles

3. conquistador#11

when they see luck about to kick an onsides kick, know that it's coming.
    protect the ball when an andrew luck in invisible predator technology somehow dislodges the ball from our receivers. also, don't let luck injure our qb. do those things and we will compete!

some of you have very little faith. at some point, the ball has to bounce in our direction, just like it did for patriots and colts fans after during decades of mediocre football.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Need a legit TE and ILB

5. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I like the direction Texans are heading which is why I mentioned the coaching staff and praised the defense.
    It just may take more time to make us truly competitive with the Clots.
    Man, I hope Mallett turns out to be the real deal.

6. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

As of right now we don't have any dead money and Watt is locked up.

Hopefully Mallet works out if that's what they end up doing

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Have a quality draft for the first time in several years and go after Peyton :cool:

8. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Keep running game going. ..outside pass rush to compliment JJ...decent STEADY QB play.

9. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

It would honestly not take much more than a very good draft this off season.

Overall, That Colts team is very talentless, and although they've made plays, the talent level will always show up in the end. They do play hard though, I give them that.

Each team position group ranked against one another:

QB: Texans<Colts
    RB: Texans>Colts
    TE: Texans=Colts (Believe that Texans TEs will be better next year)
    O-line: Texans>Colts
    WR: Texans>Colts

D-Line: Texans>Colts
    LBs: Texans>Colts
    DBs: Texans<Colts (I feel only due to health and age of players.)

ST: Texans<Colts (Texans still haven't gotten any better in this area)

The kick here is that the most important position in football here is the QB, and they are head and shoulders ahead of us in that category. Where you counter that is with a stifling defense that not only pressures said QB, but causes turnovers and disruptions throughout the field of play. You also prevent that QB from being on the field as long as possible. Therefore you run the hell out of the ball, kill time, and create TDs not FGs.

You get ahead early, stay ahead, and beat the hell out of that offense with a devastating defense.

I continue to build the defense, This is the Texans identity. Solidify the O-line so that our run game continues to progress, and get a QB that can at least in the most basic way, manage this offense (a la Seattle). Keep the cap clean and flexible, and don't give contract extensions based on assumption of continued play/or injury recovery. God, If they would have ****ing waited on Schaub's/Cushing's contract, it would have made all the difference.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Damnit, That's suppose to be,

QB: Texans<Colts
    RB: Texans>Colts

And

DBs: Texans<Colts (Mostly due to age and injury)
    STs: Texans<Colts (Still haven't made a positive change here)

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

... Alright, the third times the charm,

QB: Texans < Colts
    RB: Texans > Colts

DB: Texans < Colts
    ST: Texans < Colts

Sorry, Might have been drinking these past few hours and not proof reading my posts.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

San Francisco with Harbaugh and Kaepernick were looking to have that division on lockdown for a few years at least. That didn't deter Seattle from assembling the nastiest defense since the mid-2000's Steelers and turn-of-the-millenium Ravens just to crush the 49ers' hopes.

It can always be done. In football, even more important than the QB is the coach, and we've got one now that can go toe to toe with the heavyweights.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans are no that far off from the Colts (or Clots). Keep improving the secondary and QB position.

14. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Allen/Fleener > anyone we have. Easily. We may have more talent at certain positions on offense, but it easily becomes negated if you don't have a good quarterback. The position becomes even more valuable if you don't have an elite defense, which we do not. Elite defenses have 4-5 playmakers; we only have one. Watt needs some help and while turnarounds happen frequently in the NFL, it's going to be up to management to make some key moves. I just have blind optimism in the team for some reason, so hopefully it happens. I agree our cap situation sucks.

The one thing you forgot to mention we have them beat on is our coaching staff. I really believe BO'B is the right man going forward and hopefully he builds something special here cause Andrew Luck is only going to get better and better.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Honestly, I think you have to start by replacing Bob McNair as owner. He is the only common link in all of the Texans' failures, starting with the team's nickname. I don't think he's got it in him to win big and win consistently in the NFL. If you need evidence, I present the continued employment of Rick Smith. Bit of a head-scratcher, I think you'll find.

16. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Yeah, I agree with you about the coaching staff. I think Pagano gets a ton of undue credit for the success of the team. He gets his defense to play even with the lack of talent, but it's Luck who has given him his success.

And we'll see about the TEs. They may have the advantage due to Luck, but give them time to develop, and we gain a respectable QB, and I believe they'll push to be the better group. That is also on the coaching staff also, given how that group was a wash this year. I feel the talent is there, but they just got lost in the fold with everything else happening around the team.

17. Remix

Remix Member

Simple

We just have to get the number 1 overall draft pick, draft a HOF QB, wait about 15 years for some wacky nerve injury to happen, suck for one year, and do it all over again.

Easy

/salty

1 person likes this.
  18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

We need to beef up the secondary. LBs are probably second.

It sucks that Clowney is in this holding pattern because we are really weak at that position and that OLB should be our primary pass rusher. Merciless is good at times but hasn't really shown the kind of consistency to need. Just have to keep what we have until at least next year.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

No one's gonna say it?

OK, I'll say it.

We need Watt to end Luck's career.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Hoping for a change is hoping for the guy to die. He will never sell the team. He seems like a good owner and a good man. Not sure why he hasn't been able to run a better team.

He hired Charley Casserly which was a great move. Former super bowl GM. They hired Dom Capers who had experience with an expansion team and seemed to be a capable coach. These seemed like good moves at the time and I'm not sure what you would have been saying when these were announced.

But yea, for the most part things have not worked out well.