1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do Texans need to do...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Wattafan, Jan 11, 2015.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think we should draft a TE. We NEVER draft TEs.

I honestly think that's the missing link.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm still not convinced the Colts are a super great team; they remind me a lot of the Ravens - a playoff contender most years, sure - but not a dominant, "we can't compete with them" type of team.

They have an elite QB and a terrific coaching staff. I think we match-up well with one of those.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Draft the next Mario Williams....wait.

4. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

What I would do:

- Assume that Mallet are whoever is drafted at QB in the top three rounds will be my guy moving forward, double down. Make a decision and live or die with it.

- Prioritize adding speed to the offense and return game by adding a dynamic slot receiver, skat-back, or CB via the draft.

- Add another quality CB via draft, if possible a guy that can bolster the return game as stated before.

- Resign Kareem Jackson. Cut J-Jo and encourage MAJOR competition among Bouye, Morris, Hal, and rookie CB.

- Cut or restructure Chris Myers.

- If Myers is cut. Move Ben Jones to C. Cross fingers and do everything that's humanly possible to transform Su'a-Filo into a starting caliber guard. Draft a rookie OL with a mid to late pick. Resign Newton.

- Cross fingers and do everything that's humanly possible to transform Louis Nix into contributing member on the D-Line. Pray that Pickett has at least one more season in the tank.

- Cut or restructure Andre. If cut, find out exactly what we have in Posey. Tell him that WR2 is his to earn or lose. Finding that slot receiver will now become a MAJOR priority. Look for other WR steals during the draft and undrafted free agent pool.

- Hope and pray that Clowney pans out.

It's not ideal but the Texans have to keep faith in their 2014 draft class. They need some of those guys to surprise and contribute next season. If they don't I think this team will be set back by 2-4 seasons. It's time for a little good luck over at NRG.

1 person likes this.
  5. today

today Contributing Member

The heated passion side of me says this:
    +1, although I'd rather Watt not have that on his resume. Let it be a player who is on the last year of their contract and won't be with us the following season. Colts got so lucky having Peyton, and then they get Luck? Time for the Luck to run out.

The compassionate logical side of me says this:
    Don't ever root for a person to get hurt.

#25 today, Jan 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  6. today

today Contributing Member

Actually what about this.... I say we hire some investigators to follow around Irsay and pick up some more dirt on him. Then we blackmail him and force him to trade us Luck for Clowney =)

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Why bother? They'd lose 14 games, draft the next HoF QB and keep on keepin' on...

I don't think I'll ever get over the Manning demise leading to a single down year and then right back to 11+ wins every year.

Since 2002, the Colts have won 10, 12, 12, 14, 12, 13, 12, 14, 10, 2, 11, 11, 11. Even with a 2-win season, they're averaging 11 wins a year over a 13-year stretch.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Hire Tanya Harding's crew before Indy visit next year.

9. Fantasma Negro

wE HAD THE COLTS BEAT TWICE THIS YEAR SO ITS NOT LIKE WE NEED A COMPLETE OVERHAUL. i THINK THE tEXANS ARE BETTER AT EVERY POSITION THAN THE COLTS WITH THE OBVIOUS EXCEPTION AT QB. wE GET A LEGIT QB OR mALLET PLAYS THE WAY HE PLAYED IN CLEVELAND FOR US CONSISTENTLY IN THE FUTURE WE BEAT THE COLTS AND TAKE THIS DIVISION AS LONG AS BILLY O WANTS IT. Just now looked up at my screen and realized my cap lock was on and I don't feel like rewriting that so deal with it people LoL

10. Fantasma Negro

Fixed. And that would vindicate and validate him. He's go into our ring of honor for that alone LoL

11. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Draft the next coming of Russell Wilson

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans are growing and are only two games behind the Colts. Both games versus the Colts were very close and one of the games had the Texans' 3rd string QB trying to mount a comeback. Luck can win many games but he makes enough mistakes to lose some himself.

13. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

You hit it on the head with every one of these. I especially agree about Myers. I think he's over paid right now and needs a restructure or needs to go. Hopefully the new O line coach can whip Sua'Filo in shape. If so, we will have a stout O line.

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

cut brian cushing's washed up a$$

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

What's the point of cutting or restructuring players (you've listed 3) when no new players are being signed?

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You are re-signing Kareem, you are re-signing Mallett... and you also need money for the upcoming draft class.

And just because he doesn't mention directly any free agent signings, doesn't mean this team won't acquire people. They still need ILB and safety upgrades.... along with potential WR upgrades.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

My point is why cut current mediocre players to sign new mediocre players. If you have a free agent that is an upgrade to sign with the money saved from cutting current players, I'm good; not cutting for the sake of cutting. For instance, the Texans cut Owen Daniels and signed Garret Graham to save money. I was fine with the first, not so much with the second part of that. They could have just offered Graham's contract to Daniels.

If they sign Mallet, I'm assuming they release Fitzpatrick.

Rookie's contracts are almost inconsequential.

18. mick fry

mick fry Member

I would much rather face the colts than the Ravens.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We need to stop drafting busts

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The intent is never to go out and just sign mediocre players, or at least it shouldn't be. They are going to bring in guys that they think can contribute, and in order to do that you need flexibility. That's why you don't just carry around mediocre players with bloated contracts. No one bats 100, so inevitably some of the guys brought in to replace them will be mediocre. But you never make points off of shots that you don't take.

EVERY team in the league does this.