1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hack-A-Whoever Strategy

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yodels, Apr 10, 2015.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol, yeah he hates it in the same way OJ Simpson hated having to decapitate Nicole Brown, but if he just did it a thousand times.

Obviously he doesn't hate it, which is why he does it.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I haven't seen it give Pops an advantage, yet. Tell me a time it worked for him. Obviously not in the playoffs against the Clippers last year.

People keep saying "if it gives you an advantage" ... well, that doesn't mean it does. Apparently, you allow someone like Howard to shoot consecutive free throws, they loosen up and start hitting closer to their practice percentages of >80%

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is the insane logic some have on this subject:

Boss: From now on, you will be paid on how well you can paint and draw.
    IT Professional: But I am an IT Professional, not an artist. Im terrible at being creative.
    Boss: I know, but if you really cared about about getting paid, you will spend your evenings learning to be a better artist.

4. SamFisher

For reals? They used it in Game 2 vs. the Clippers.

http://www.nba.com/games/20150422/SASLAC/gameinfo.html?ls=iref:nba:serieshubs:mid:seriesschedule

By my count, They used it 6 times, looks like DJ was 5-12.

Didn't they also use it against Josh Smith in a game we lost last year? Also obviously it helped them slam the door in the first half a few weeks ago vs. Capela (though they would have won regardless...got to love Pop hack-a ing while up 10).

5. heypartner

6. SamFisher

Here's the Josh Smith game:

http://www.nba.com/games/20150410/SASHOU/gameinfo.html

5x in the 2nd quarter, Smith goes 3/10, is taken out for Jones.

Game goes tied to 5 point lead at end of period.

Then in the 4th.

First 2X , Smith goes 4-4. Then gets a dunk and a steal! Whoohoo tie game, Backfire!

hen they used again 4x - Smith goes 2-8, Tie game becomes Spurs up 4.

Smith then hits 2 FT's off of a loose ball foul after that. Not sure if it counts.

I think it was pretty effective that game - it worked 2/2 instances it was tried. Spurs won by 1 when Harden was blocked at the rim at the end of the game.

7. SamFisher

Well, I hate the goddamned hack-a, but wathcing Chris Paul make the ULTIMATE SACRIFICE, Line of Fire-style is kind of amazing here:

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/inWYXdQ275J/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

[<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tff_EEQt79s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. i3artow i3aller

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I currently have 286 intentional fouls before the last two minutes. Were 52 before last year's All-Star break. <a href="https://t.co/FwT0p0Ikdx">https://t.co/FwT0p0Ikdx</a></p>&mdash; Kevin Pelton (@kpelton) <a href="https://twitter.com/kpelton/status/698672340197117952">February 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn. Someone needs to sit Pelton down and describe the rules to him before he hurts someone! Also, someone should keep track of his fouls more carefully b/c he should have fouled out of every game.

10. SamFisher

That shirt/tie/suit combo in his Twitter is intentional and foul.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

The NBA issued the following memo today regarding instances of a player jumping on an opponent’s back during a free throw attempt:

MEMO TO: NBA OWNERS, GENERAL MANAGERS, COACHES, AND GAME OFFICIALS

FROM: KIKI VANDEWEGHE, EVP, BASKETBALL OPERATIONS; MIKE BANTOM, EVP, REFEREE OPERATIONS

DATE: FEBRUARY 16, 2016

RE: JUMPING ON A PLAYER’S BACK DURING FREE THROW ATTEMPTS

We have recently seen instances during games in which a player, in order to commit a deliberate foul, jumps on an opponent’s back during a free throw attempt. This is a potentially dangerous play against a player in a vulnerable position.

Please be advised that the referees have been instructed to evaluate such plays under all applicable playing rules, including the rules relating to Flagrant Fouls. Players remain free to commit deliberate fouls during free throw attempts, but such fouls will be assessed as Flagrant if they meet the applicable criteria. (See this memo of October 26 for the factors used in determining and classifying Flagrant Fouls.)

Please contact either of us if you have any questions.

http://official.nba.com/nba-memo-jumping-on-back-during-free-throws/

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Cliff Paul faints

13. i3artow i3aller

14. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I assume that memo is related to players rebounding, not the shooter? At first I was very confused, trying to imagine someone fouling a guy while HE shoots free throws, haha.

1 person likes this.
  15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hahahaha. It can totally be read that way; nice memo, NBA.

16. heypartner

Hey SamFisher

We've got another one for the archives.

Pops did not use Hack a Jordan last night, as LAC stretched a 6 pt lead in the 4th to 19. Jordan came into the game with Pops down by 6 and over 10 minutes left in the game.

Jordan only got 2 FTAs the entire game.

I guess he doesn't always think it's a good strategy after all.

17. SamFisher

Nah i told you in the other thread

Pops - HACK-A-GODFATHER - knows that the Hack-a's time is running out, so he wants to preserve it.

Last night, he knew it was clearly not gonna be the Spurs night from the get-go. No Kawhi, the game seemed effectively over by half time.

Sicne we just came off of a week of Silver et all railing against the Hack-a - Pops - HACK-A-GODFATHER decided he needed to keep it in his pants for a night or too, and not give the anti-hackas more ammo, for what was effectively a lost cause.

Make no mistake, hack-a is going to come back-a in April, and Pop "I hate to use it' is going to be using it like crazy.

18. heypartner

To me it seemed like a game to steal. I mean, no Griffin v no Kawhi. And SAS got it down to 6 pts with 10:30 left when Jordan came in. Perfect time for Pops to use a strategy if he thinks it can help him win.

19. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

It's so frustrating that Dwight can get held, pushed, pulled, pinned, slammed down without a foul being called. But during the "Hack-a-...." moments a simple tap on his chest or back draws the whistle. Perhaps if they called everyone anyone touches him at all a foul, it would help rid the "hack-a...." . A foul is a foul, after all.

20. SamFisher

Well, as we just saw against the Jazzholes, Referees now making judgment calls TO THE REPLAY CENTER IN SECAUCUS in order to favor the hack a and reward hack a teams.

Great basketball, fun to watch.

#640 SamFisher, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016