1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From what I've heard around Austin, Heard still doesn't put in the necessary effort to study the playbook and film. It's frustrating gossip given the flashes we saw from him last year. But, if Buechele and Locksley can put in the work (and in Locksley's case the athleticism), then they'll get a shot. I have to think Strong knows he can't trot Swoopes out there again and have it sit well with the fans or donors.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The good ol' days when the Horns were actually ranked. I forgot what that's like.

3. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, we're historically a volleyball school.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or he knows he can't trot Swoopes out there again and expect to win.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

oh ****. Current (now former) Texas DB coach seems to be guilty of recruiting violations while at Ole Miss. Odds that he changed his ways when he came to Texas? Never would have happened if we would have kept the architect of DB-U instead of firing him.

http://texas.247sports.com/Article/...60211_181019_Texas Longhorns&utm_content=Link

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wow this hurts. Vaughn was a beast on the recruiting trail. Word is his replacement is already on board. Will be interested to see who Strong brings in.

7. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Right now all I care about is if he committed violations here too.

#6967 Brando2101, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. Buck Turgidson

Uh, Akina was in the top 5 "Guys That Had To Be Fired" list.

9. gucci888

Add WR coach the the vacancy list. Jay Norvell is moving onto Arizona State as WR/Co-OC. Strong stated right after the Gilbert hire that he'd have a chance to bring in his staff. Sounds like the overhaul has been in the works for a while.

Edit: Sounds like Taver Johnson (Purdue) will be Vaughns replacement. Don't know much about him but was also DB coach under Tressell at Ohio State.

#6969 gucci888, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Sumlin trying to hire Brick Haley as well.

11. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Oh my. I haven't checked this thread in a long time, and I see my name mentioned. Even more surprised Freak is excited about a Top 12 recruiting class. I distinctly remembering Mack didn't leave us with enough talent to even compete with TCU when Mack raked in Top 5 recruiting classes 2011-2013, I believe. If you were a fan of the team, Freak, you'd know temper your excitement during recruiting time. I remember I made that mistake myself when I hyped up Swoopes to friends when he signed with us as a 5 star recruit his junior year in high school. A strong recruiting class is definitely better than the bad recruiting class I feared. But unlike you, I didn't get the same hope from a 35-0 first quarter against TCU or a shutout loss to Iowa State. But I guess Strong had nothing to do with any of that. He was only the head coach.

12. oakdogg

It is so weird that I so dislike your takes on the Longhorns, but I find I often agree with you on the Rockets. Is there a way to ignore you in this thread and still see your Rockets stuff?? Ah, maybe your Rockets stuff isn't that good anyway....

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers shall never ignore another 99ers post

the brotherhood was created by clutch to be united

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

The assistants that are leaving. Are they leaving for better jobs? Are they moving up the ladder, or is it a sideways move?

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

No one has been promoted.

16. gucci888

Yes both got promotions but this was more than likely a mutual decision to part ways as well. Robinson got a run game coordinator title and Norvell will be Co-Oc at Arizona State. This also allows Strong to bring in guys who better suit Gilbert's system. Sounds like this was the plan since the new OC was brought in.

Obviously the turnover looks bad on its face no matter what the reason is but hopefully this will ultimately bring more stability to the staff if Gilbert is the real deal.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

My Rocket stuff is nothing special, you're right. However my music posts are the real deal. Ignore them at your peril.

18. oakdogg

Now, I'm actually going to check them out. I actually do like your Rockets posts FWIW. You aren't all bad... ;)

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He's right though. A lot T shirt fans on social media have been beating their chests. It has to translate on to the field.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, your rockets posts are special because you are part of the greatest rockets fans on the planet