1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Netflix : Marco Polo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by nono, Nov 2, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What a great idea for a series...count me in.

DD

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The opportunity cost of not keeping subscribers plus any potential gain is the real metric. Also, remember a genuinely successful show gets licensed and redistributed everywhere, this is part of why sitcom stars started making $500k - $1MM per. Ultimately I agree as quality programming is eventually a crapshoot, and think they'll burn money better spent on optimizing streaming rights for top programs, but there's more to the investment then incremental subscribers.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The licensing doesn't make sense for Netflix though. It's not like Family Guy that's going to get syndicated on WB or something. They have to keep it on their service. I'm sure they make money from DVD sales, but from what I've read the money studios and the like make off DVD/Blu Ray sales has significantly dropped in the last 6-7 years or so since the streaming stuff became popular. People don't buy hard copies of stuff anymore.

4. nono

nono Member

Watched the first two episodes. Show is alright. Nothing too special but not too bad either. Another show I'd compare it to is Da Vinci's demons and I liked that much better than this.

5. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Ahh man, I had high aspirations for this show. It did look like it had the potential for some cheese. I was going to start it this weekend. What was lackluster about it?

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I guess I'll check it out.

I'm forcing my self to use Netflix. I've been paying for this **** for two years and barely use it.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's where I am, too. I don't have enough time in the evenings to watch TV closely enough to follow a dramatic series really closely...with the exception of The Walking Dead, which I record.

I literally just cancelled my streaming account this morning. I can't remember the last time I used it.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Has anyone streamed it in 4k yet?

9. dragician

dragician Member

i wondering the same thing... anyone pls?

10. nono

nono Member

It's just very meandering. The first 3-4 episodes are mediocre I think. The show improves after that but you never get the sense that you are watching something great. I think the show has potential for next season but they will need a better script.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How does it compare to BLACK SAILS?

When I saw the Trailer I expected alot of T&A etc . . Sparticus like
    Is it?

Rocket River

12. MystikArkitect

Marco Polo bout to show the world he's on Columbus' level.

1 person likes this.
  13. supafrumpy

supafrumpy Contributing Member

this is the central question...how much T&A. Must know. Will try and find out for myself tonight when I get home.

14. nono

nono Member

It is better than Black Sails. That isn't really a great accomplishment though. Lots of nudity, but none of the main characters are nude. Only the prostitutes in the royal brothels, which feature a lot in the series.

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

planning on giving it a watch tonight after work.

Trailers intrigued me.

[​IMG]

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Good to know
    Black Sails is kind of boring

Rocket River

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Peaky Blinders is good, so is Coppers - two good shows now on Netflix, and I think Peaky Blinders is an original.

DD

18. PhiSlammaJamma

Seems that Columbus also responsible for discovering bbq sauce. So that pretty much trumps a lot of shiat.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

so weird, i cancelled my cable. The only thing I use for tv is netflix streaming, same with most people I know

20. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I don't have Netflix but I've subscribed to Hulu Plus before. They show commercials and display ads, even on their exclusive series. The main advantage with Hulu Plus is that you get to watch their exclusive shows a week before the free account.