1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMZ Reporting Music Legend Prince has Died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mikol13, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

irrelevant to whom???:confused:

the tapes are the masters. with all due respect, you are way off on this.

this is a silly argument. plenty of studios still record to tape. tape is getting more rare and expensive, but its still used frequently. even with my local, unsigned, relatively unknown band, we recorded digitally and mixed to tape.

my guess is prince recorded everything to tape. its not like money was an issue for him. its possible prince had someone digitizing the stuff in his vault, but knowing him its more likely all those tapes were sitting untouched in the vault. why have a vault for this stuff? tapes degrade over time and storing them in a vault helps to preserve them...dust, light, temperature control.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hear it last longer than just stacked digital
    Unused harddrives lose data over time . . or so i am told

Rocket River

3. jo mama

found a couple articles about his recording methods. sounds like he used a combination of analog and digital, as many do these days.

4. jo mama

from what i understand, even if stored properly tape will start to degrade after like 30 or 40 years.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

[​IMG]

6. jo mama

[​IMG]

this is pretty cool. any home recording enthusiasts who use ableton live should get this! unfortunately for me, i use sonar:(

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Again, highly unlikely. If you have anything other than a quote from 1988 about how he dislikes the ability to skip tracks on a CD I would love to read it. This hipster BS is getting out of hand.

8. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure you'll dismiss this as well but check out the 2nd post in the link below:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?p=698253&sid=8055d93a57f24781a9a99121a62c6f6b

Lots of artists prefer the sound of analog recording and it would not surprise me at all if Prince did as well (though like many, he probably switches back and forth).

9. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Prince may have a son. Goes by Capriccio Caesar (real name Jordan Nelson). Mother was Cat Glover....Prince backup dancer/singer for Sign O' Times/Lovesexy era.
    http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/prince-revels-that-he-has-a-son

This is the guy those Heir investigators are researching. If they do a DNA test and he is his son, He would get the ENTIRE estate.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's weird but it just occurred to me that Prince protege Vanity died at 57 in February and then Prince two months later at the same age. I bet that was a conversation they never fathomed having back in the day..."Hey...I'm going to die in February 2016 at age 57 and you're going to die in April of the same year at age 57!" or "We're going to die within two months of each other!". It's a strange, tragic coincidence how that worked out.

11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

figured i'd put this here. just a local artist here in downtown galveston named derek anderson that painted his gallery's garage door.

spoilered for size...

[​IMG]

12. jo mama

it is well known that prince had dozens of albums worth of material nobody has ever heard and has over 50 fully produced music videos nobody has ever seen. and it is well known that they are stored in a vault. it is well known that much of this stuff goes back to the 80's. it is possible he had it all transferred to digital over the years, but knowing prince it is also likely the master tapes from the original recordings are all there are. this is not uncommon at all in the music industry so im not sure why you are having a difficult time with all this.:confused:

i dont think you know what you are talking about.

and since you mentioned it, he did actually release an album as one long track so that people had to listen all the way through. but what does skipping tracks on a CD have to do with how the masters are stored? please enlighten me!

#292 jo mama, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Bandwagoner has no idea what he's talking about. Furthermore, the Prince quote I posted is from 2011. Not 1988.

No sense in going back and forth with him.

14. prohibido

prohibido Member

As usual you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

15. jo mama

all recorded to 2'' tape!

http://www.theonion.com/article/dis...tm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sheila E made it to 58... of course, she was born in 1957. Apollonia will turn 57 later this year ... Susanna Hoffs is 57 ... hold your breath... ;)

17. GIGO

GIGO Member

Sheena Easton also 57.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Death is GREAT for Music sales.......

http://www.startribune.com/prince-r...sold-and-half-of-the-top-10-titles/378182491/

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Law-enforcement official tells AP that tests show music superstar Prince died of an opioid overdose. <a href="https://t.co/xST7ueRjjV">https://t.co/xST7ueRjjV</a></p>&mdash; The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP/status/738401427735891968">June 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The epidemic continues.