1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

TMZ Reporting Music Legend Prince has Died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mikol13, Apr 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is just awesome.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z6kMwqmanK0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is just...well, really weird...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Yy9L4ft7EGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'll have to go back and re-listen to that David Gilmour Prince tribute he recently did in concert at Royal Albert Hall. It was supposed to be a deviation into "Purple Rain" where he was solo-ing...but I couldn't make the connection other than the lights turned purple. Maybe I need to re-listen to both? Did anyone else get it?

#262 Surfguy, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  3. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Man he has been gone a week and they already drilled open his vault of unreleased projects. I get that one day they should be released but it is been a week. Was that really the highest priority task at hand?

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Around the time the lights turned purple there was a brief Purple Rain guitar solo. If I didn't know what I was watching, I would not have made the connection.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The demand for Prince is as high as it's ever gonna be. Releasing material of his is guaranteed coin right now. A year from now, Prince will be back to irrelevant like he was before he died. He was an all time great musician, but once you're past your prime, the only time your stuff will sell really well is when you die and everybody goes on the nostalgia trip.

If there's money to be made, people will make it, common courtesy be damned.

6. Newlin

Newlin Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I thought the police had taken control of the residence and were conducting an investigation. Isn't it the authorities that are drilling into the vault as part of the investigation? I don't think people are drilling into the vault in order to hurriedly release his music.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Listen for the background singers, they give it away. Gilmour's solo doesn't change at all.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not true. MJ had 2 albums that were released after his death that did really well.

New material from Prince.....because of the hoopla regarding that vault of material will sell very well.....even a year from now or later. WB will probably package material by year or time period. Do 1 or 2 release a year for who knows how long based on period the music was recorded. I can see them doing, "the vault...1983"..."the vault...Purple Rain (music record at the same time that didnt make it on to an album or B side".

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

http://kstp.com/news/prince-received-out-patient-treatment-bank-trustee-drills-princes-vault-open/4119830/

Meanwhile, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has also been told Bremer Bank, recently appointed trustee of Prince’s estate, hired a St. Paul company to drill through Prince’s personal vault at Paisley Park Tuesday. Sources said the bank had to move quickly to get inside the vault because, as court-appointed trustee, Bremer is legally responsible for safeguarding and handling all of Prince’s assets.
    The vault is known to store Prince’s invaluable recordings, of which, dozens have not been released. Prince was the only person who knew the combination, which is the reason Bremer Bank had to hire someone to drill through the lock to retrieve and take inventory of its contents.

The article also mentions more about the health issues during Prince's last days.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Wait, there was actually a vault? Did Prince keep an external HDD in there or something? Doesn't make much sense.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the music isn't in digital format at all.

12. Bandwagoner

I would rate that highly unlikely to impossible. What chain of events would lead to that? Destroy masters in favor of lower quality versions with less tracks?

It's marketing to sell music.

13. HR Dept

It's possible that the music was recorded directly to tape. In fact, I would say that it's likely that most of it is. Prince was kind of a purist, so I'd imagine that he would bounce even his new stuff from digital to tape and back.

14. Bandwagoner

15. HR Dept

Are you kidding? This is an instance of where you have absolutely no idea of what you're talking about, at all. And you don't even know it.

Prince was a notorious traditionalist when it came to his music. The pictures that you just ignorantly posted shows as much with all the outboard gear in his studio. He started in the industry before music was recorded and stored digitally and fought against it until the day he died. Modern artist and producers to this day process their digital music through old school analog boards and tape reels.

From the horse's mouth:

16. Bandwagoner

No I'm not kidding. You cannot compare a decision in 1988 to using a lower fidelity, far less flexible recording medium in 2016. Release format has nothing to do with recording. This argument is ridiculous.

17. HR Dept

It's not an arguement. I'm telling you that it is a common practice, and one that Prince believed in. What you perceive as lower fidelity others see as analog distortion. Prince's logic on analog over digital stood true throughout his creative process.

There's a whole industry of software makers who sell plugins that EMULATES analog gear. I'm not going to go back and forth with you on this. It's possible that Prince's vault is packed with hard drives full of his music. But I'm telling you that it's more likely that it's filled with analog masters.

Take it or leave it.

18. Bandwagoner

recording on reel to reel isn't common practice anywhere and hasn't been for decades.
    There are all sorts of filters for everything. Video is the same way. Those can only exist in a digital world. The percentage of analog is entirely dependent on the age of the content. He didn't remaster anything so if you want to argue he never transferred old stuff to digital, you can do that without being insane.

19. HR Dept

I'm telling you from first hand knowledge and experience that there are many people who still record to tape. That is fact, whether you want to believe it or not. Obviously it's no longer the industry standard, but it is far from dead. Tape machines are still present and in use at recording studios. And judging by the words from his own mouth, Prince likely still used them.

And for real this time, I'm done. Lol -- Its Saturday morning and the rain has given way to a beautiful day!

20. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Fact.