1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

There are two teams that have beaten every playoff team in the west

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Jan 18, 2015.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Conley is #5 at the very best. And I really think he is under-rated on the national scene.

He is not better than Curry, Westbrook, CP3 and Lillard.

For the Rockets, Conley has always been my pipe dream. Perfect complement to Harden, even better than the others.

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Grizzlies are contenders this year, I don't care what anybody says.

If the Rockets get knocked out, I'll be cheering for the Griz.

3. what

what Member

He's better than Lillard. He is more efficient in the last five minutes and his defense is miles ahead of Lillard.

The only thing Westbrook has on Conley is that Westbrook is extremely aggressive. He doesn't shoot as good as Conley, he can't run a team nearly as good as Conley can.

Here's the thing about Westbrook. Westbrook benefits so much from the fact that he has KD on his team. Because if you asked Westbrook to run a team like the Clippers or the Grizzlies, he'd be lost. Westbrook's best asset on offensive is to create space for KD, but don't ask him to run a complex playbook for 48 minutes. He can't do it. Basically Westbrook's approach to offensive is to create space so that KD can't be doubled. That's it.

If you want to make a case for CP3 and Curry, I guess you can. They are great. But Conley has played CP3 very well in the playoffs.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lowry is better

5. what

what Member

LOL, well he's a former rocket.

6. Mr. Clutch

Wall is probably better too

7. what

what Member

Kyle Lowry is 21st in ts% and Westbrook is 31st among point guards. Mike Conley? 10th.

Jeff Teague is probably the other guy you can make a case for as a top pg. But Lowry and Westbrook AREN'T.

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

They've both only beat 7 out of 8... When the Grizzlies beat the Grizzlies, then I'll be impressed. Same for SA.

9. what

what Member

Of the starting point guards, the 4 in the top ten in ts% are: Jeff Teague, Chris Paul, Mike Conley and Damian Lillard.

John Wall is 26th in ts%. John Wall is however a great defensive point guard. But so is Conley.

10. Mr. Clutch

Since when is TS% the end-all and be-all of stats?

Lowry's career TS% is higher than Conley's. Conley has been more efficient for literally 3 months.

Wall plays tremendous defense and is a beast on the break.

Westbrook is having an insane year and putting up a 28 PER. Yes he struggles with decision making and efficiency, but most teams would take him over Conley.

11. what

what Member

I'm not sure that having a HIGH per like that is a GREAT thing or not. To me, about a 19 to 23 per is ideal. Anything more than that and you are probably hurting your team. It gets into the ideal of Team Ball v. Superstar.

More and more I think that per is more of an indication of how aggressive a player is while he is on the court: how much he dominates the offense.

One of the reasons that OKC hasn't gotten back the finals is because they don't have a player that can take the ball out of westbrook's hands: Harden could do it back then and Harden had good sense to RUN plays.

12. tksense

tksense Member

dont try to be smart. its easy to beat themselves, they always do that.

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I would just point out that PER seems to favor scoring over efficiency.

Which is probably fair to an extent. I'll take a guy with a still good TS% that can do it at volume than a guy who can't score as much but what he does he does more efficiently...

But just pointing out that's a subjective argument of sorts.... for someone to prefer Conley's higher TS% and defense and decision making over Westbrook isn't absurd... though I'd agree with you, health issues aside, give me Westbrook

1 person likes this.
  14. lalala902102001

You never count out the defending champs when they have retained all their key personnel from last year. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. I've said since the beginning of the year that the Spurs are still the team to beat in the West when the playoffs come around.

15. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

The team to fear is the cavs, because regular season doesn't matter

16. what

what Member

Money Mike, what's new. Less than 5 minutes. Tight game. Boom!

17. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

My most feared matchups are:
    1) GS Warriors 2)SA Spurs 3)LA Clippers 4) OKC Thunder 5) MEM Grizzlies 6)POR Trailblazers 7)If they were to make the playoffs, Pelicans...terrible matchup for us
    Screw the Mavericks and Suns, they blow!

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

WHAT?

BTW, BOOM, they lost...too bad he missed that 3 in crunch time...can't makem all i guess...

Should've kept Lowry.

#78 Severe Rockets Fan, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

How's CP3's defense though? Also that contract...Conley's a max pg making 10M, Cp3's a superstar pg making the max. If I were the GM I'd take Conley and his contract over max pgs like Cp3, Curry etc...

IMHO the only problem with the Grizz is they don't have that dynamic wing scorer, they have low post but the only perimeter offense they have seems to come from Conley Jr. They need a Klay Thompson or some other efficient spot up perimeter scorer to take the heat off Gasol/Zbo and Conley.

20. Mr. Clutch

CP3's defense has always been good