1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TV] Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 12, 2013.

1. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I REALLY hope the show's ratings recover because as it is now it's finally on Arrow's level in terms of enjoyment.

The should be a lesson to anyone developing a TV show now. Unless you're making a show specifically to appeal to old people on CBS, do NOT start it off as an episodic procedural. The game has changed. No matter how high you think your concept is, people will perceive your show as one that won't develop into anything more than what it is, and folks don't want to waste their time watching that type of sh-t anymore (I hope you're listening, "Almost Human").

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the flip side though there is a risk that casual viewers won't get sucked into the overarching story and/or will be confused by the storyline if they haven't been following it. It seems like Fox and ABC tried several shows with long complex story lines that also flopped.

With Agents of Shield it seems like they were trying to grab in viewers with the monster of the week and then get them to buy into the storyline by dropping hints for future things, such as what actually happened to Coulson and why he kept on calling Tahiti a magical place.

3. Rudy

Rudy Member

Well Kevin Feige did say they planned their Marvel Cinematic Universe all the way until 2028 at least.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...-2028_n_5091810.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Given that Disney owns ABC and the Marvel movie franchise, I sincerely doubt this show is getting the axe. I think this is a show that could greatly benefit from being thrown up on Netflix after the season. Given is solid word of mouth recently it could lure in a lot of binge watchers before next season.

Like i stated earlier it's easy to gain viewers, it's extremely hard to have a lot of viewers, lose them, and then getting them to come back. They really should have introduced some superheroes or villains during the first half of the season while they waited for CA. Maybe one or two short story arcs.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Netflix is going to be bombarded with Marvel starting in 2015 with the 60 episodes for the 5 mini series for Daredevil, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and the Defenders.

6. Awesome

Awesome Member

The main problem is the consistency of the shows. Hard to keep viewers when you are off the air more than you're on the air.

There is no way a new show should've been as inconsistent as an NBA ref

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think this show just had it's first really good episode. This is the first time that I've really wanted to see what will happen in the next episode.

When is the season finale?

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think there are 4 more episodes, no more breaks either.

The show starting getting better in the mid-season finale, and really got good 5 episodes back. It appears to have found it's stride and is rolling along smoothly at the moment.

Glad they didn't take the easy way out with Ward. Already planting the obvious seeds of doubt, but this is much better than spy/brainwashed result that most of us feared.

9. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Much better now, I used to just watch SHIELD because Game of Thrones wasn't one yet, but now it's finally becoming more exciting, and as the previous poster said, I'm actually looking forward to the next episode.

10. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Caught up with the show, also watched Captain America before watching episodes 17-18 so I have a better appreciation of it all. Really impressive what Disney is doing with Marvel. Having everything connect together can be easily done wrong, but it looks like they know what they're doing and executing it well. Also, I have no idea who to trust on this damn show lol.

11. Nero

Nero Member

Holy Moley!

Suddenly I am feeling as much anticipation for the next episode of this as I am for Black List and Game of Thrones!

Excellent episode!

But no more Oswalt?? AWWWWW

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

****ing wack how they
    killed Oswalt

Didn't take long for me to like his character compare to others.

13. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

As somebody that watched Joss Wheadon's shows in the past, it always seems to go in a cycle like this. Starts of with a premise finds interesting. 6 episodes in, everyone starts to complain how formulaic it is. But he slowly develops the characters out, making you care, then proceeds to pull the rug from under your feet.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I like everyone thought the Ward as a bad guy thing would go softly, but so far they are really playing hardball.

He didn't just kill some nameless guy this time. Still wished they wouldn't have wasted half a season, a lot of viewers are never gonna come back despite how high quality the second half has been. Maybe some binge watchers during the summer hop back on board.

16. plus1

plus1 Member

So... any chance we get a Mike Peterson and Audrey Nathan hookup for old times sake? :p

17. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Yet another awesome episode tonight. This one kinda felt like a mini movie, and the continuing integration of the show with The Winter Soldier just keeps getting better and better. Now finally feeling the full weight of there being no more SHIELD. Hard to see where they can even attempt to go from here, much less how they can go after Ward and Garrett.

Have to admit, I did not see that coming for the TAHITI mastermind...

1 person likes this.
  18. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

This was another great episode, which is finally making up for the crappy ones earlier in the series. I didn't like how Deathlok is still kind of...useless, for all his advanced weaponry, you would've thought he could chase Coulson within the plane easily. The subtle jab at Hill from Ward was great too, nice to hear about the inner dynamics of what used to be SHIELD. Maybe Coulson should start his own agency now...

And the reveal of Project Tahiti :eek: nice twist.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

yeah that eye candy

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I just hope Ward doesn't suddenly have a conscience and rejoin the team. Seems like they're setting him up for an ethical struggle next episode, so I'm interested to see where they take it.

They name dropped a lot this episode. Fury, Stark, Romanoff, Pepper Potts.