1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2016 Draft: QB Progress Watch

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Honey Bear, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why is his ceiling lower than Mallet's?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not just dumb off the field, he's also dumb on the field. They have a lot in common though. Strong arms, incredibly immature, dumb as a bag of hammers.

Compare their final years in college, Ryan Mallett completed 64% of his passes for over 3800 yards with 32 TD's and 12 picks in a defensively stacked SEC (6 ranked opponents). Cardale got benched but managed to complete 62% of his passes for 1459 yards 8 td's and 5 picks against cupcake opponents (0 ranked opponents).

Neither are the QB any team wants going forward, but I don't even think Jones is worth a flier. He has CFL or position change written all over him.

3. Mr. Clutch

Fair enough

He's gonna keep dropping, then BOB and Rick will get excited and trade three picks to move up and get him

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Heh, that's rough. I have a hard time thinking that he'd even be on BOB's radar given that he is ALWAYS talking about how intelligence is the most important thing in a QB...then again, he vouched for Ryan Mallett who is a moron.

5. Mr. Clutch

BOB hasn't shown to have the best talent evaluation

Takes him half the year to figure out who should be playing and where

At least they have the defense and ol figured out finally

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We need to draft Ezekiel Elliott in the 1st and try to find a QB in the later rounds.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

What are you guys thoughts on Cody Kessler? Usually I don't like USC QBs but last year he got on my radar. I think he could be a solid NFL QB.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm thinking 2nd- 3rd round.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The two are nothing alike. One is a champion. The other is a clown.

10. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

elliott round 1 then hackenberg round 2 would be ideal. People may be down on Hack but I think O brien coaching him again would make him a good QB in the nfl

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well the big difference is that at least JaMarcus Russell was a good college QB, Jones wasn't even good at that level even in a lesser conference against much weaker teams. They are both clowns though.

12. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hackenburg makes some awful throws. The off-one-foot-into-triple-coverage type

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah he made a not so smart comment, but it's not the end for him. It really wasn't that serious. Still you can't deny the fact that he came in and lead his team to a championship and for whatever amount of time it lasted, he was on top of the world.
    Beating the best, mind you. This fact alone screams potential in any other situation.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That would be a great start picking Elliot in the 1st and then Cardale in the second, just to nail those situations down immediately.

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Hoyer is turning out to be serviceable. We need an RB in the first round. With the re-emergence of our defense, we could do the Seattle/Minnesota formula of having a game manager QB, a great defense and a suffocating defense to win games.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Scout: I'd hate to be team in need of QB in 2016 NFL Draft

The scoop: "I'd hate to be a team in need of a quarterback. The best two in this draft might end up being from Memphis and North Dakota State and that ought to scare the (expletive) out of you. It takes some courage to turn that card in." -- NFC scout

The skinny: Any time a general manager takes a quarterback early in the first round, he's putting his job on the line, no matter where the player comes from. It might be a lot easier to pull the trigger on a QB from a marquee program who has played on a big stage before, but certainly this scout knows that there are plenty of examples of QBs from top programs that were picked early and went bust (JaMarcus Russell, anyone?). We've seen QBs from small schools come off the board early and go on to great success (Ben Roethlisberger, Phil Simms, Terry Bradshaw).

As for the two QBs he's referring to, North Dakota State's Carson Wentz will get a chance to prove himself against tougher competition at the Reese's Senior Bowl in January. Memphis' Paxton Lynch is a junior and has not revealed his intentions for the 2016 NFL Draft. As an underclassman, he has until a Jan. 18 deadline to make a decision on early draft entry. Both QBs are impressive talents. Our colleague Gil Brandt sees plenty to like in Wentz's game, and we saw the qualities of a top QB prospect when we took an up-close look at Lynch last month.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000592933/article/scout-id-hate-to-be-team-in-need-of-qb-in-2016-nfl-draft

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I've told this to a few, but Carson Wentz has most positive buzz from regional/traveling scouts. Gets more love from them than Paxton Lynch.</p>&mdash; Eric Galko (@OptimumScouting) <a href="https://twitter.com/OptimumScouting/status/672437514901323777">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Early tape for me on the QB's has Paxton Lynch and Carson Wentz as the only 2 with 1st round grades. No top 15 talent though.</p>&mdash; Scott Carasik (@CarasikPFS) <a href="https://twitter.com/CarasikPFS/status/671709360679051264">December 1, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Write this name down: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St. This player has tremendous upside, will get draft interest, will be at <a href="https://twitter.com/seniorbowl">@SeniorBowl</a>.</p>&mdash; Gil Brandt (@Gil_Brandt) <a href="https://twitter.com/Gil_Brandt/status/671456042673311744">November 30, 2015</a></blockquote>

18. ths balla

ths balla Member

Really is baffling how guys that no one has talked about(Carson Wentz ), all of sudden have upside and are being brought up when draft season comes around

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And NDSU isn't exactly a pass-happy offense. They win with their defense and running game.

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'm all aboard the Elliott-Hackenberg in the first two rounds train. Makes so much sense for this team. We're playing excellent defense which has kept us in contention for the postseason. So landing a top flight QB in the draft is out of our reach at #22. Lynch, Goff, and Cook will be all gone by the time we are on the clock. Sure, Hackenberg isn't the ideal pick at QB, but has enough upside playing for O'Brien again that I'm excited. Plus, Elliott provides a great replacement for Foster down the road. We could mold our identity as a power running game and solid defense to keep us in contention with fingers crossed Hackenberg develops to his potential along the way.