1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. newAge_Rockets

I'm so stoked for the subsequent basketball seasons under Coach Sampson. As a current student at UH, at least the (hopefully) coming success of the basketball program and the already well established baseball team can help me forget about the embarrassment of the football team. As soon as CKS can get some front court help (cause this team is seriously undersized), UH is gonna make some noise.

Also the new locker room, the new basketball development facility that they are building up at this moment, and then next year's long overdue renovation of Hofheinz will restore UH as a basketball power.

We can see the light at the end of the tunnel, folks. We actually are entering a New Era of Cougar Basketball.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources told ESPN both TaShawn Thomas (Oklahoma) &amp; House used &quot;did not want to play for NCAA offender Kelvin Sampson&quot; to receive waiver.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/535843983730442240">November 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texas A&amp;M has gotten word from NCAA that Houston transfer Danuel House is cleared to play this season. Should help the Aggies.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/535843576257978368">November 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

LOL they are idiots.

First off, they asked for the waiver BEFORE Sampson got hired here.
    Second, who in their right mind want to play for James Dickey over Sampson?
    Third, they just mad they wouldnt have gotten their way with Sampson like they did with Dickey.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Tonight's game at ranked Harvard will be a great barometer on where this year's squad really stands. I'm expecting a loss and hope that the team will fight through most of the game. Don't think they've been primed for big wins yet. Hope they prove me wrong.

5. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Nothing to do with Sampson but good excuse. I hope House gets a good education out of this. Otherwise, the crack pipe might burn his lips and he won't be able to use them to get paid.

6. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

"Am now being told by source Kelvin Sampson's name was not used in the waiver for House & TaShawn Thomas. Told it was about student welfare."

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/535894502985457664

7. AFS

AFS Member

Wait, since when is Harvard ranked? Am I missing something?

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I think if Cougar basketball reigns supreme for a few seasons under our new coach, poaching may not be an issue, as we have the potential to become a legitimate big time program overnight. And we can legitimize that with our market and program. Whereas in football that seems like a less sustainable model.

9. solid

solid Contributing Member

I honestly wouldn't mind killing the football program. Rent the new stadium to HISD or somebody. Obviously the University doesn't seem to have the will to have a first class football program.

10. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Get rid of the damn coach... Coach Levine is garbage. The coaching staff sucks.

11. boomboom

Supporting Member

Correct. They were #25 in the pre-season AP poll before losing to Holy Cross. My reference *was* probably dated as I just pulled that info from the UH schedule on ESPN's website. :)

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

badass poster

13. boomboom

Supporting Member

Obligatory Ray Charles pic.

[​IMG]

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. boomboom

Supporting Member

I know it was one game...but last night seemed to show that Sampson is starting to get these guys into a system. Ball movement was really good throughout the game. Hopefully there's no regression and they can continue to build off of a solid win.

16. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The analyst seemed amazed at their spacing. Pollard needs more plays where he's driving to the basket.

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Wow. Coogs are 1-8 in the month since someone last posted in this thread. All 8 losses are in conference. Break from the conference schedule tomorrow against Rice. Coogs need a win bad.

18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Coogs have no size, no depth, and can't shoot straight other than that things are good. Its going to take a couple recruiting classes to really get this program turned around. The 6 scholarships we have available next November are going to be a huge gauge to the future of the program.

19. AFS

AFS Member

Chicken Knowles has to guard the biggest person on the other teams, and often he's at a 50+ lbs. disadvantage. All of the really good players left and Sampson doesn't really have much talent to work with.

I'm really curious to see how much kids wanna play for Sampson. You're right. The next few recruiting classes will tell us a lot. The AAC is actually a pretty competitive basketball conference and the Coogs won't get wins without talent.

20. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

UH doesn't have the talent to be competitive in the AAC right now. How does recruiting look?