1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broussard: Suns & Bledsoe $32M apart in negotiatons

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

That's the Lakers backup plan?

3. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I don't see why the Lakers would want to put that rumor out there so early. It doesn't benefit them in any way. They have no idea how Kobe or their other players will play together. However if I'm Bledsoe's agent I want to make it seem like a big market team can't wait to sign him for the max.

Kind of like us reportedly working on a S&T for Sessions or having interest in Villanueva. Rumors probably started by agents to try to get other teams interested in their clients.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the lakers aren't the ones putting it out there

5. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I know I was trying to make a point about these type of rumors in general. Some Laker fans can't wait for July 1st, 2015 and LOF's are crapping their pants and making plans to invade another team. :rolleyes:

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coro: Bledsoe could be facing 1-year deal

[rQUOTEr]A midcourt pile of money to the US Airways Center ceiling has sat untouched this summer, awaiting Eric Bledsoe to come from his baseline and meet the Suns.

It has been a trying, bewildering and exasperating process to fathom how Bledsoe, with 78 career starts and $7.4 million in career earnings, would balk at the Suns' four-year, $48 million offer when there have been no competing bids the past 10 weeks. He has his reasons, but we can only guess.

Bledsoe is a restricted NBA free agent — the last one — who appears headed toward accepting a one-year, $3.73 million qualifying offer by the Oct. 1 deadline (if he waits until Oct. 1, he will not be part of the Sept. 29 media day or be aboard the bus to training camp).

Bledsoe and his agents have lost this case in the court of public opinion by nolo contendere. League executives, agents, fans and media judged the Suns' offer to be fair — and the qualifying offer to be a risk and a financial sacrifice that takes years to make up.

There has not been a peep from the defense, other than the reserved guard's July comment that the Suns were "using restricted free agency against me, but I understand that." His "big brother" and fellow agency client, LeBron James, appealed to the Suns via Instagram to "break bread" for Bledsoe as he and Bledsoe trained in Cleveland this month. James' plea and the early Bledsoe maximum-contract request appear to indicate he wants to be in Phoenix, even though he has never said it or entered negotiations that could still draw a larger offer.

With no signs of talks or a sign-and-trade, Bledsoe is two weeks from taking a qualifying offer that will not win much more favor with Suns fans.

There are factors, however, that he and his agents might ponder but not say:

Relative value: Statistics and player analysis can be worked any which way to argue that a four-year, $48 million contract is fair or that Bledsoe's talent, potential and output were enough to demand more. What changes the market-value equation is whether the soon-to-be-doubled NBA contracts with ESPN and Turner will affect next season's salary cap.

The cap went from $58 million last season to $63 million for the coming season but could approach $80 million when the new TV deal kicks in for 2016-17. Grantland.com reported the NBA has considered easing the leap with a cap jump next year.

An increase of cap space would change the relative value of every player and alter the scope of the Suns' offer if Bledsoe stays healthy and continues improving.

Like James, it could make sense for Bledsoe to pursue a two-year deal, but that would not make him the franchise cornerstone the Suns envisioned when they acquired him last year.

Television deal aside, Bledsoe had to look at restricted free agents Chandler Parsons and Gordon Hayward getting the NBA's largest raises to three-year, $46 million and four-year, $63 million contracts, respectively, and feel justified for seeking a five-year, $80 million-plus deal with similar annual salaries.

Bledsoe is gambling on himself to have a healthy, productive season and command more interest as an unrestricted free agent. That would make teams less reluctant to bid than when the Suns had the right to match.

Health: It is often mentioned how Bledsoe is a risk because he underwent two right-knee surgeries, but the second operation was necessary only because the 2011 lockout decision to repair his first injury did not take. The apparent removal of a meniscus piece, judging by his ability to have an in-season recovery, could have the 24-year-old confident that the issue is behind him for at least the short term.

Offended: With Bledsoe's status unresolved, the Suns signed a third starter-quality point guard, Isaiah Thomas, a player some Suns said Bledsoe did not like as an opponent. Many players do not like other players until they appreciate them as teammates.

Role: All Bledsoe heard for two years behind Chris Paul was how good he could be if he ran his own show. In Phoenix, it was a point-guard cooperative with Goran Dragic. If he burns to dominate the playmaking, that might need to be elsewhere next year, with a team like the Los Angeles Lakers.

Unquantifiable: Some of Bledsoe's basketball was easy to illustrate. The Suns were 28-15 with him (a pace to vie for playoff home-court advantage) and 20-19 without him. In his first starting role, Bledsoe shot a career-best 47.7 percent, got to the free-throw line more per game than any Suns player since Stephon Marbury and converted drives with more efficiency than any qualified player last season except James and Tony Parker. He also had the second-worst assist-to-turnover ratio among point guards and missed 39 games for injuries.

But while the NBA is flooded with quality point guards, Bledsoe's defense is a rarity. Even rarer, the Suns played like an elite defense with him on the floor.[/rQUOTEr]

7. s.b713

s.b713 Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/1...-bledsoe-max-contract-sign-trade-phoenix-suns

8. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Just saw this...wow.

Beldsoe and Wiggins core...thoughts?

The Timberwolves are reportedly ready to offer Eric Bledsoe the four-year, $63 million max-level contract he's been seeking.
    The Wolves currently do not have the cap space to make this offer upfront, so it would need to involve a sign-and-trade, presumably centered around Ricky Rubio. Bledsoe has been great while on the court, and averaged 17.7 points, and 5.5 assists last season with the Suns, however, he also only made it through 43 games. Bledsoe's value would be better in Minnesota as the team’s unquestioned starting point guard, and we'll be monitoring this situation closely. Stay tuned.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He'd be a much better fit than Rubio just because Bledsoe can score. Wiggins still has a ways away from being a scorer and I think that's what Minnesota needs: someone to score.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If this trade happens, it would vindicate Bledsoe's uncompromising stance that has seen the media and fans line up against him.

I assume the Suns are trying to firm up a deal with a 3rd team that wants Rubio.

11. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Can the Rox jump into this S&T deal?

12. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Bledsoe to Minny pretty much means Rubio to Houston I think.

13. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I would be Ok with Rubio coming here but it has to be at the right price i would not be willing to give up much to get him.

14. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

I dont think we would have to. Rubio's value is pretty low right now. I think Plow/cyberx have said the same thing. We can get him for pretty cheap.

15. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

maybd DAN FEGAN is gonna cut morey a deal since we had to let parsons out of the contract EARLY

16. Nook

Nook Member

Hmm..... Rubio

Poor shooter (check)

Poor finisher (check)

Agent is Dan Fegan (check)

Soon to be free agent wanting near max money (check)

I cannot see the Rockets getting Rubio unless they can get him so cheaply that they figure he is worth a look and can always let him walk.

17. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I like what the Wolves are trying to do, they've pilled up a lot of assets. They've got a lot of young guys with potential in Wiggins, LeVine, Bennet, Dieng and, ect.

18. s.b713

s.b713 Member

I agree, Definitely that's a solid young group to start up with again. It makes sense from Minny to offer the max to Bledsoe they have a hard time attracting free agents gotta overpay and take a flyer on EB.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Agree. I know this might sound cheap but I'd only give the Capela, Canaan and Powell. No Jones. No DMo. No NOP.

20. s.b713

s.b713 Member

hummm if Minny cant sign him to an offer sheet outright there's no point for the Suns to engage in sign and trade, might be just a rumor put out there by Bledsoes agent to try to see if he can gather some interest.