1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Think they should use Clowney on 3rd and long only till he is completely 100%. Just put him on the line next to Watt and Mercilus can get a free shot that way

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pretty predictable situations for the offense to take account of him though... he just needs to play, period.

3. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I agree. I wouldn't touch Mercilus...he's having his best year so far. Moving Clowney and Watt up and down the defensive line would still cause enuf havoc in my opinion as well as Clowney coming in for Simon as a possibility

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's not how defenses work. Watt is a defensive tackle that plays DE because we are in a 3-4 scheme. The guy next to him needs to be very big to plug up all the space in the center of the line. That is not clowney. Clowny and Mercilus are both pure traditional defensive ends but play as linebackers because that is where your edge rusher plays in a 3-4. You shouldn't play both those guys at the same time because they are only talented enough to play the same position. The other 3 LB spots are more traditional roles that have to be smart about reading the offense and covering backs if needed.

5. vince

vince Member

I wonder if Clowney could be moved opposite JJ Watt on the line. Or does he not have the skill to play on the line? Taking nothing away from Crick as he's been solid. Just wondering if Moving Clowney from the LB position could help him out some.

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

He was playing opposite of Watt the first few games and we saw what happened. Mercillus is on a roll and having Watt/Clowney playing alongside one another more often like this game is a major Disruption. Jets had problems all day because of it

7. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

and a 4 man rush mostly all day with Cover 2 having Clowney playing alongside Both Watt and Mercillus can only get better and scarier for opposing teams...only thing that can stop this is obviously HEALTH

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The guy just came from a microfracture surgery that no one ever thought he would be playing at all this season. He did play, he doesn't look pretty, but he is out there playing. He did had other minor injuries but those are not concerns. The big issue here is that he came from "microfracture surgery" THAT'S A BIG DEAL, and is the reason he doesn't look 100% yet. Will he ever be 100% and look like the number 1 over all pick from 2014? Don't know yet. But the positive is he is out there playing, which is a good thing because that gives him rhythm to his body to get to 100%.

9. MystikArkitect

Clowney will be a damn good player....when it's a contract year.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He had some plays today that led to getting off the field.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Texans were able to collapse 1 side of the line consistently when they played Clowney and Watt on the same side...And having Mercilus on the other side to contain.

I didnt get to watch much of the game. but seems both of Watt's sacks were 1-1 opportunities having Clowney playing inside for Watt.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Clowney woke up after a slow start and started making a few plays today. Agree with 077, he probably won't be right until next season if he can stay healthy the rest of this year. Cushing was a shell of himself last year and he's starting to amp up his play.

I think the Watt/Clowney overload is a good way to screw with a game plan, esp if WM keeps up his play.

13. tmacfor35

Happened with Demeco Ryans of the Eagles.

He really took to form after two years post Achilles.

14. tmacfor35

15. jbasket

jbasket Member

Doesn't know how to block on an interception. Can't make instinctive decisions. Can't outrun KJax. Bust.

16. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Clowney disrupted the Saints offense today in ways that will not show up on the stat sheet

17. conquistador#11

A local "re-did" the draft for the nfl.com site, had us taking carr with the first pick. My problem with such things is they just go by the numbers and don't take into consideration that the head coach was not going to hitch his wagon to someone he doesn't want to develop. Had he wanted carr he'd be here.
    I say all that because though baby carr was who I wanted in the 2nd round, Clowney has grown on me. He is beastly. He will be glorious or injuries will be his demise. But when he is on the field, he is everything and a bag of frito lays. He is still learning.
    I'd take him first now and I was meh about him.

18. tmacfor35

My prediction is that this week will be the Clowney coming out game.

Tyrod holds the ball a bit longer than most and I expect them to give heavy attention to Watt.

This will be the Clowney game.

19. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Do you guys think Clowney is anything special? Where do you rank him on defense. Our 6th or 7th best player?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's effectively still a rookie and he's shown a lot of promise. He has some work to do, but he could absolutely be special....but normal special, not JJ Watt special. Texans fans have been so ridiculously spoiled by having arguably the greatest defensive player in the history of the game on their team.