1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I was excited about the Clowney pick. I loved the XSF pick (I thought he could be a starter from day 1 for the next 10 years). But I was most excited about the trade up and drafting of Louis Nix. Boy was I wrong.

I do wonder how the decision to draft Clowney went down. I know he was considered the best player in the draft but there was a rumor that Rick Smith preferred Mack (probably started by Smith himself to hedge his bet) and there was another rumor that the Texans had 2 cards one with Clowney's name on it one with Bortles' name on it.

2. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was a Mack guy. Sure he wasn't 6'5"+, but he had crazy measurable in so far as agility goes and he was a productive 3-4 linebacker already. Mack isn't exactly lighting the league on fire, though. But I thought he would be a great fit next to Watt.

I was hoping the Texans would make a move to bet Bridgewater, Carr, or Garapolo. I also liked the Nix and Sua Filo picks. But Clowney... you don't draft a guy #1 who had his injury and production issues is final year of college. Too many question marks. I would have settled for Bortles if Mack or Barr weren't the pick.

3. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

That somebody would end up being Bob. Worked for Newton, Kareem and Whitney.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

But Bobby said Clowney isn't injury prone.

LOL. Just another case of bobby being wrong.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

At least those guys were able to make it to the field.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Well look what we have here.

A guy who is praising the Raiders who have been so freaking awful for the last decade.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

You could say that, and then we could take a look at another arbitrary draft. Say, the 2009 draft. Let's look at some random rounds. Okay....the first, second, and sixth.

Texans:
    1. Brian Cushing
    2. Connor Barwin
    6. Brice McCain (that one hurts)

And for good measure, without spending a pick, they got Arian Foster.

Raiders:
    1. Darrius Heyward-Bey
    2. Mike Mitchell
    6. Stryker Sulak
    6. Brandon Myers

Ouch. Man. See what happens when you take things in a vacuum?

The Texans have out drafted the Raiders for years. They had one good draft. We happened to have a bad draft. It set us back and they took a step forward. Over time, though, results show they don't compare to us.

I do get your point, though.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm playing the long game here, letting you knee-jerkers hang yourselves with foolish banter....by all means, keep it up.

9. MystikArkitect

How many games has Mr. Made of Glass Teddy Bridgewater missed with his frail little frame? If only he had a body like Clowney!

We could've had Teddy B and Khalil Mack. Instead we have "I Have a Hang nail and am Inactive" Clowney and XSF.

JJ praising Whitney instead of answering a question about Clowney is all you need to know about what the best DE in decades thinks of the dude.

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rick and Bob know he's a bust but they can't admit it. Will make them look even worse. With all the good players in the 2014 draft we didn't get one of them. Kinda sad

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even better, we could have had Clowney and Derek Carr, which is what I would have done but I don't see how any of that is relevant today?

12. Raven

Raven Member

No accountability.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Not to mention a ridiculously deep wr class and we take Jaelen Strong lol

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Really? Outside of Cooper, not a whole lot of production coming out of that class.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I meant last year; we whiffed on a lot of picks

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What do you expect them to say? They can't come out and say if they were to do the draft over again they would take Mack while Clowney is still on the team. Clowney is still a good player when he's on the field, he's just rarely there.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

THIS.

/thread

18. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

The Texans have done a great job drafting busts. Marvelous.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

So why bring up Jalean Strong from this year's draft? Wide receiver was not a major need last year.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

As someone pointed out, Texans had Mario Williams with #1 pick. The same draft, Texans had Mario, Demeco Ryans, Eric Winston, Owen Daniels the 1st 4 rounds. Pretty solid

Oddly enough the Texans do pretty good with their first draft picks. Its the OTHER picks after their first picks that they whiff on and fail to add depth. (Like Hopkins but crap players after)