1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin McHale: "Harden came in overweight" and more from TNT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RESINator, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

I guess it would be too profound (or wacky) of a move to re-hire Kevin McHale (depending on how you look at it)...just thinking outside the box. The season is a journey, which does not reward knee jerk moves. Grind.

It was probably pressure from the owner, but at this point without McHale, last year's team is literally broken--McHale was part of it. He was both positive and can kick you in the butt (Kyle Lowry). He could make the tough moves (and sit down Harden) in the 4th quarter of the playoffs. There will always be haters on this board and the media, but for those who are truly objective know that the bottom line is the team got to the WCF last year.

2. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

That's weird cuz when I sprained my ankle I lost weight cuz I was too lazy to limp or crawl to the fridge anymore. After the first attempt, I was like...ah the hell with this ****

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What is the name of this fat little dude in the GIF?

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

u dunno his name?!?!?!
    [​IMG]

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That's Corey from That's So Raven.

7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Dang, I thought that was Beard, sans the Beard.....:grin:

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kevin McHale on ESPN Radio:

What are your emotions as you look back at the way this thing broke down.

You said it so nicely. The way it all went down. I got kicked to the curb. You can just call it. I was surprised. I really was. You thought you built up equity there for a few years. We started off the summer, James hurt his ankle a bit, was in very poor shape coming into camp, Dwight couldn't do B2B practice, talking about Dwight not doing B2B games until the new year, Ty spent most of the summer with legal problems and rehabbing, not injury rehab. Both our PFs, Jones & Motiejunas weren't starting camp. We were a bad team in camp. I said to ownership & Daryl "We haven't had good practices yet, I don't understand how we can have good games." Our last exhibition game against SA, the guys tried amping it up and they just pounded us. I said we have a month's long time of getting everyone in shape, getting everyone acclimated, trying to figure out how to use Ty. When they let me go, I was absolutely shocked. I walked in, they said "We're firing you." I went, "Oh my!" That's kinda the way it went down. I was really surprised. The team last year won 56 games, got to Conference Finals. It wasn't like they were holding hands and singing kumbaya. There were always a few things going on with that team. That's just the way the group is together. We managed it. We worked our way around it. I was surprised in the end that they chose to make that decision. Now I'm sitting in Scottsdale having a cup of coffee & playing golf today so I guess everything's not all bad.

There had to be more reason. What was their reasoning?

They said the team wasn't playing well. I said "Yeah, I notice that." I was sitting on the bench while we were getting pounded every night. They said "We're not playing well." I said, "No we're not." I can't argue that. I said I think the team will come around. Right now, they're better than a 27-28 team. They won 56 games last year. Don't have the best chemistry in the world. Whatever profession, you may not have the perfect fit of guys but you can make that fit work. Anybody who's been involved in professional sports knows a lot of teams aren't hanging out every night and aren't the best of friends but they're very professional. They work. They get their job done. They said "We're not playing well." Honestly, there's nothing I can say other than "Yeah, you're right."

2 questions about specific things there. There are outside perceptions. 1) Every decision in Houston is being made based on numbers.

They probably use more metrics than most other teams. When I first got there, we had a lot of discussions about metrics and what certain things meant. I believe Daryl is transitioning into...he understands chemistry. We talked about chemistry. I think honestly Daryl is moving towards the blend. Metrics is a tremendous tool but can't be your whole tool box. Do players fit the eye test? Or am I getting a bunch of the same type players? Do I have enough guys that can drive to kick to the shooters? Do I have enough shooters, good catch and shoot guys? Do I have a blend of guys that can mix together? Do I have multiple position players that can guard two and three spots? A lot of different things like that. I do believe...they're still involved in metrics but not quite as much as everyone thinks it is. It's a big part of it. Metrics is a great tool for your tool box but that's like having a hammer in your tool box and only a hammer. You need some other tools.

Dwight, when he signed in Houston, my thought was this was the best decision anyone ever made. He needs to lock himself in a gym with McHale. There's a perception he hasn't worked on his offensive game.

I'll tell you what, Dwight came to Houston and after we signed him, he could barely move. He had the back surgery. That limited him to what he could do a lot. He's no longer a spring chicken. He has some miles on him. Dwight didn't have a lot of time....we worked on things. Hakeem came over and we worked on things. Dwight's mobility has been hampered by the back surgery he had in LA. All the different rehabs. He's missed a ton of games. The biggest thing about getting effective in the post is a low center of gravity. He can't get low. He's very upright. That's hurt him more. Dwight is not a bad guy or chemistry killer. He competes really hard. He wants to win. The only reality is, after he loses, 5 minutes later, he's over that loss. I know when I lost, I was miserable. I wanted to be miserable. That misery made me a better coach/player. I was always amazed when guys turn the page quickly. Dwight is not the problem in Houston but also isn't the solution. He worked at it. His inability to get low, losing athleticism has hurt Dwight a great deal. He won't be the only athletic guy to get hurt and lose some effectiveness.

All those things you just said, can he go somewhere, get a max deal and be the main cog or a main cog on a championship team?

You'd have to be uniquely designed around Dwight's ability to roll to the basket, draw people to the paint, he can still rebound very well. He has a hard time on PnR. He use to be able to switch PnR. Dwight can be a piece of a team that can really help you. How many teams now are playing small? How many teams are going away from big time centers and playing differently? Us playing against GS, my biggest fear was Draymond Green on Dwight and then Dwight had to chase Draymond, that really hurt us. We had no answers for that. It's so hard to say never but it would have to be a very unique situation.

Quick thoughts on Golden State? If they break the record, will you be willing to say that is the greatest team of all time?

I would have lost a lot of money. I would have bet everything that 72-win Bulls team would never beaten. That and Wilt's 100 point game. I never saw those 2 records going down. Yes, if they break that record in today's game of 2016, they will be the best assembled team to play with the rules they are. Eras are different. What they're doing is phenomenal. I don't like when people poo-poo it. It's not the 80's. Hell no it's not the 80's. I know it's not the 80's everyday I wake up. They're phenomenally assembled. The way they play, Curry is a joy to watch. Last year, we played them in the playoffs. We came in after beating the Clippers, everyone's excited. We took the night off. Next morning, I come in, my coaching staff's there, I look at them and say "What do we got for Golden State? Let's have some ideas on how to stop them." Everyone starts looking at the floor like "Ha ha, yeah well uhh.." I was like "OH BOY!" I couldn't think of a way to stop them. What are we willing to give up? You say, go under on Steph or make him take 3s? The guy kills you. Put 2 on the ball, throws it to Green, Green drives to the lane, and kill you. Leave Harrison open and make him beat you. He does. Cleveland says OK, we'll make Iguodala beat us. He was the MVP. They are really, really good and I hope people aren't tired of watching them. They should watch them. They're assembled to be a versatile team. Steph is fun to watch. All those people, on twitter, none of that stuff works. Good luck. Everyone always has an answer to do this to Curry, do that to Curry. None of it works. He's really good. He's impossible to guard. I like watching him. I'm excited to see if they can do it. Now that they've gotten so close, I hope they do it. To win 73 or 74 in a NBA season, that is unbelievable.

#149 J.R., Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ the McHale blame everyone else and remind everyone how surprised you were act is annoying now.

And I'm a McHale fan.

McHale... All the reasons they weren't ready and needed another month... Those are ON YOU. Lol and Pop or similar great coach coming out of a camp like that.

I don't think we really need to listen to anything he says. Poor coaching, victim mentality. It's no wonder there's a leadership void here

1 person likes this.
  11. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Absolutely great interview.

12. ibm

ibm Member

thanks, j.r. as always. good read since i missed it on tv.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Totally agree with this. The fact that he's totally passing the buck here in accountability kind of confirms we made the right decision to move on.

Training camp is like the Superbowl for coaches as far as where they really shine. We as fans don't see it, but that's what makes a great coach IMO. How you put in your sets, set a tone for the year, and install you defense getting everyone on the same page. Even great teams with great coaches have injuries in training camp. However great coaches establish everything they need to get in with the players they have available, and they involve even the guys who are injured by getting them involved in calling out rotations, and walking through sets. Great chemistry always starts with communication. That communication builds off of what you establish in training camp.

Passing the buck to Harden being out of shape & Dwight not pulling back to backs is just an excuse. Its your job to still run a successful camp and involve them in any way you can.

14. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you J.R

Not liking that Mchale came out and said that about Dwight in trade deadline day.
    But at least he said he isn't a cancer and the problem.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I didnt think he is blaming anyone in the interview, he was just stating facts. You're not going to play well if you're not practicing well. Everybody was hurt no time to gel in the off season. I thought he should have been given more time.

The stuff about Dwight was very interesting. Dwight gets over losses quickly (maybe too quickly). Dwight can't bend over anymore. His pnr defense is not him slacking, he can't physical do it anymore.

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Glad he defended Dwight. Tired of people that obviously don't watch the Rockets saying '12 years in the league, still hasn't developed a post game smh. he even had hakeem and mchale!'

17. ling ling

ling ling Member

KM: Harden came in overweight.

Harden: I didn't come in overweight. I came in at my normal weight.

KM: I rest my case.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LOL you hold one of the most lackadaisical and lethargic pre season camps where you focus on not a single thing and then you're surprised when you get the boot? Give me a ****ing break. This clown deserved to be booted right after the Portland series. He is very well known for his pointing of fingers and laying blame on others and constant excuses.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Honest interview from McHale, which I appreciate, though I agree with what many have said. Didn't seem like he thought he had much to do with training camp or the start of the season, which is pretty ridiculous.

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

He was asked questions, and he answered them. He was being truthful about the injuries, and how they didn't have time to gel before the season. The Rockets not being ready can't really be blamed on McHale if the players were unable to practice together due in players being injured. I mean what's he supposed to do if the players aren't on the floor?

His comments about Dwight were very interesting.