1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Anytime you watch a Rockets game and complain about shooting (3ptrs in particular) or lack of execution on offense late in the game or if there is an injury to a key player or those lulls in scoring between 1st/2nd quarter and 3rd/4th quarter, just think about the impact of having Carmelo Anthony on the floor would be in those situations.

Try to play a good "team" defense. And then make the opponent try to guard a lineup of Beverley, Harden, Parsons, Anthony and Howard.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Has Carmelo been effective guarding 4's or would Parsons have to put more sand in his pants after he gets paid?

Another thing that worries me, is losing Beverley. He is who I am when I play pick up ball. Defense and at times capable of creating my own shot. If the Rockets play well, he will get last years Avery Bradley treatment.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really, after watching the Warriors dump Richard Jefferson and Andris Biedrins there shouldn't be a single talking head saying "going to be hard to dump player X". Yes, the Warriors had to GIVE up picks to do it, but they did it. It can be done. Period.

For the Rockets, Asik doesn't have negative value. You could argue Lin might, but it is hard to say depending on another team's needs.

Rockets can move those contracts. It is more about, what do they get or give up WITH them, than anything else.

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The "less" that they took, which at most equated to a couple of million combined in that first year, was actually earmarked for Miller and Derek Fisher. But when Fisher spurned them to stay in LA was when Haslem found his way back to the table.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sand in his pants. LOL. I like it.

Carmelo has played the 4 all season for the Knicks. It's the "new NBA" where the PF position is getting phased out for "combo-forwards" that are range shooters. Carmelo can man the 4 spot, especially on a team with Dwight Howard at C.

Heck as it stands now the Rockets "go small" when the game is on the line except instead of Beverley/Lin/Harden/Parsons/Howard you would have Beverley/Haden/Parsons/Anthony/Howard. Sub out Lin, sub in Anthony. That makes a difference.

6. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

we don't need Melo.....wouldn't gel with Harden...

Come on, the infighting between who takes more shots would cause problems....

a jump shooting PF like Love, Bosh, LMA would be better...

K Love would instantly make the rockets a REAL contender....

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not true:

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They said that LeBron and Wade could not co-exist. They did.

Jump shooting PF? Carmelo.

What if Love, Bosh, LMA are not available? Bird in the hand. The Rockets can't "hope" that they "get their choice" of top tier players. They just have to to be able to "jump at the chance" when there is one that is available and jump on that.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Why not?

Harden takes 16 shots a game. Have you ever heard Harden complain about shots? Have you ever heard anyone complain he takes too many shots?

Anthony is a mid range shooter.

Good luck getting Love.

10. langal

langal Contributing Member

Lebron would fit in with anyone. I'm not sure Carmelo can. That was basically his team in New York and now he wants to bail.

I agree with you about having to take a chance as these opportunities to get stars are few and far between.

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Oh look, Greg Oden is playing tonight. Just a week ago, freaking fat obesehorst was saying that he was done for the season because 'Roy Hibbert broke him'. This is why you don't EVER listen to that fat ass troll.

12. The Cat

1.) It's Bleacher Report.

2.) Story written after the fact rewrites history to make everyone feel better. Happens all the time.

Here's what actually happened.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5369580

Other players = Haslem. Then, Fisher turned down the more lucrative offer from Miami to stay with LA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5374270

Then, Miami turned around and offered that money to Haslem, who signed later that same day.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Is the New York Times better?

How about quotes directly from Wade via the Miami Herald (article down but routed through SLAM)?

How about quotes from Haslem himself?

Let's take a step back and really think about it. Does it really make much sense that Wade would take a bigger paycut than the other two so Fisher could make more money, as opposed to one of the guys he's been to battle with? No, it doesn't. The "other guy" that they had on hold while waiting on Fisher was probably Mike Miller, who signed a $5M deal. They wanted Haslem back the entire time, which is why he didn't take bigger deals elsewhere.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Woj doesn't see a fit here.

Knicks, no chance Phil coaches?

No. At least while they're bad. Phil won't coach. Physically I'm not sure he can do that and they won't do a lot to improve next year. Mike Woodson will be fired here in the next day or two or three then it'll be Steve Kerr's job if he wants it.

Does Carmelo Anthony care about winning a championship?

He cares about winning a championship. In the end, do you care more than money, geography, being in NY. There are some teams who can do some cap maneuvering like Chicago and even potentially Houston although I don't know there's a fit there for him. Chicago, is 'Melo willing to take less years and money to go to a team with Rose returning, the infrastructure of players and obviously Tom Thibodeau? This is his last big contract. He'll have to give up unprecedented numbers to leave. I think in the end he stays and Phil sells him on rebuilding here. Lakers don't make sense. They're not any closer than the Knicks right now.

15. basketballholic

Except the Lakers have a lottery pick and other assets (Gasol's Bird rights) to be a lot closer than the Knicks come July 9th.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Maybe because Parsons is entrenched at the 3? Although we all know it'd be Melo primarily at the 4.

I'm sure Harden would gladly surrender some ppg to Melo and just rack up some apg.

17. The Cat

The Heat agreed to terms with Miller on July 9, well before the Fisher/Haslem negotiations began on the following weekend (and Monday). The "other guy" was Haslem.

http://heathoops.com/2010/07/heat-comes-to-terms-with-free-agent-swingman-mike-miller/

I guess we'll need to agree to disagree, because as I said in the prior post, all of those articles were written after the fact. It's revisionist history to make a better narrative, the likes of which happens all the time. You seem to take it at face value, which is certainly your prerogative. However, the chain of evidence seems to indicate otherwise.

18. fuzzthetone

fuzzthetone Member

If I were Phil Jackson I would take Dwight for Melo...and take Lin and parsons for Tyson Chandler+ Jr.smith and Knicks' starting lineup next year will be Dwight+ Lin/ Hardway jr.+ Parsons+ Bargiani + Shumpert...and we will have BEV+ Harden+ Melo+ Asik+ Tyson/Tjones...and Jr.smith on the bench~ a win win upgrade for both teams!!

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LOL no...just so much no...

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Your kidding, right?