1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Heat actually had to renounce Haslem entirely in order to have room to sign LeBron/Bosh, which took away their Bird rights for him. Then a week later he was nice enough to come back for whatever scraps were left to stay at home with the new Super Team. It certainly wasn't a grand gesture from LeBron/Bosh -- they were actually the very reason Miami lost Haslem's rights and couldn't pay him more. :)

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/Udonis-Haslem/Summary/682

The difference here is that the Rockets should be able to create the room for Carmelo without renouncing Parsons/Beverley, thus keeping their Bird rights and making their status a non-factor in the decision.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

he shouldnt opt in at all, his one injury away from losing it all

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Trade One:
    Rockets send Jeremy Lin, Dontas Motiejunas and their 2014 #1 pick to Utah for Capspace only.

The Jazz have been receptive to this type of deal, specifically in the prior year with Golden State where they made a similar deal. Dmo is a young big with some great post moves, although he is a bit raw and needs time to develop and the pick has some value, although it will be later in the draft. Lin is an expiring contract with the balloon payment, but isn't a bad player. In Utah he can play to his strengths, rather than taking a back seat to Harden. Cash considerations can be included in this deal to help offset the balloon payment.

Trade Two:
    Rockets send Omer Asik to Boston in exchange for 1-2 future draft picks (2015 or later). Perhaps the Philly pick and a second rounder or similar.

Beverley / Canaan / (Brooks?)
    Harden / (Garcia?)
    Parsons / (Casspi?)
    Melo / Jones
    Howard / (Steisma?

4. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I'm starting to reeaalllyy warm on the thought of Melo on this squad. This could be a very epic offense if egos are checked at the door. They would torch teams if all roles were excepted.

5. basketballholic

Those are both very real trade possibilities to move both guys. Throw in the cash with Lin to make it even more appetizing to Utah. Don't forget Dennis Lindsey is the Utah GM. And don't forget Sam Hinkie is Philly's GM and will likely need one of these contracts to help Philly make their minimum as well. I'm pretty sure Lindsey would take Asik off our hands if need be. And I wouldn't be surprised if Lindsey gave us that Pelicans pick to get it done.

Good job.

EDIT: I still say the synergy is to get these trades working and almost agreed to. If the Knicks see we are going to be able to move these guys, they will most likely accept Asik and Lin for Melo straight up rather than letting him walk for nothing and still have no cap space at all. The Knicks can afford both guys. They won't actually be out of pocket that much extra for them since both guys actually take off almost $5 million off their cap which is a tremendous luxury tax savings for them.

If Melo tells PJax he is going to walk he may be able to scoot this deal along before June 30th by simply agreeing to be traded before then.

But I still say the bigger picture here is if Melo comes out and tells the Knicks he is leaving.....I think it could force Love to come out and tell Minny he is walking too. Love wants to win just as badly as Melo does. If Love sees Melo is trying to get to Houston in time for tipoff 2014-15 then Love may decide to speed up his departure from Minny. And that would be the grandaddy trade right there.

#1065 basketballholic, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  6. torocan

torocan Member

Melo has another shoulder tear. This time a minor labrum tear in his OTHER shoulder.

http://nba.si.com/2014/04/15/carmelo-anthony-shoulder-injury-new-york-knicks/

This is the 3rd consecutive season that Melo is running into end of the season injury. Elbow in 2011/12, torn labrum in 2012/13, and another torn labrum (opposite shoulder) this year.

Starting to wonder if his style of play is starting to catch up with him.

7. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Morey would be the most hated person in LA and NY.
    That's resume material.

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

I don't know why NY fans would hate him. He came to NY to win a title and management surrounded him with nothing but trash for the last few seasons. I live in NY and everyone here is saying they don't blame him if he bounces.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Melo/Harden/Dwight is a better big three than Lebron/Wade/Bosh...

Lebron is better than all three yes... But all three of those guys have MVP talent... Bosh did not...

If Melo wants to be here you better believe that Morey will get it done.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

And I love it!

The 4th largest city baby...oh and you forgot Dallas.

11. hollywoodMarine

I don't think it's his style of play. The fact that Melo's injuries tend to always be at the end of the season could suggest they are due to simply playing too many minutes causing his body to wear down. It's a symptom of basically carrying a poorly built team too many games (at least for this season).

Doesn't help that the injury occurred weeks ago, but he had to play through them because they still had some hope in making the playoffs

12. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Everyone? That's one hec of a poll there, Sir.
    The fans make MSG what it is. If nobody cared if he left, surely he would've been gone by now.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I checked his stats over the last 3 seasons. He played 34.1 MPG in 2011-12, 37 MPG last year, and 38.7 MPG this year. And not only did he log heavy minutes this season, but he had to carry a much bigger load for the Knicks than in years past since they sucked so bad.

So clearly if Melo does wind up here, McHale(or whoever's the coach) better monitor his minutes. Keep him around 35-36 tops. Shouldn't be a problem if they're able to add him without gutting the team.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

McHale? Monitor minutes?

[​IMG]

15. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I would want more than a late 1st for doing this. Cap space is gold.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Two or three years ago you would be right. However, now the value of first round draft picks are at an all time high. Look no further than the last trade deadline. Second, you are not handcuffing those teams long term. We are talking about 1 year deals.

Personally I suspect Jones would be involved in any deal making capspace OR in trade for Melo. If I am NY I would happily take Asik, Lin, Jones and a #1 for Melo.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He shoots too damn much

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

WHO is that?

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Now I remember. They all took less, and Wade took even less, so they could have enough to give to Haslem. Haslem could have made more on the open market but he wanted to stay in Miami and gave them a discount, as did Miller.

20. basketballholic

I am waiting to see today if Morey goes ahead and drops Hamilton and adds another player with our Room MLE (Roger Mason, Jr.). If this happens it gives us a lot more trade flexibility going into the off season. It would cost us roughly $1.16 million to control another non-guaranteed salary for 2014. Might seem like a steep price to pay for a player to come in here for just a playoff run. But an extra $2.74 million non-guaranteed salary to throw in to a trade along with Powell's and Casspi's non-guaranteed deal could be enough grease to make a big deal happen.

#1080 basketballholic, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014