1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

All this will do is force officers to make up probable cause. Stumble on the sidewalk? Probable cause for Public intoxication. Fit the description of a suspect on the other side of town? Probable cause to search a guy.

Cops find ways to skirt the law. All this law does is make police more nervous. Cops hate this law so much. The Austin police chief ranted on Twitter about it.

All we need now is more nervous cops.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt that they'll make up probable cause, which is why this law isn't that big a deal IMO. As to making cops nervous, I doubt this significantly adds to that.

Most of what the law did was close a loophole so that people with CHL's won't get arrested if anyone happens to see their concealed weapon. It's not like people are going to start walking around with 6 guns on their hips now, that is nothing more than the infantile thinking by anti-gun types. You've had the right to walk around openly carrying a shotgun or rifle all along, how many people do that?

3. Remii

Remii Member

I don't know what race wars you're talking about... But what does that have to do with citizens carrying weapons who don't need them. We're going backwards as a society. That's caveman shyt...

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Open Carry just passed in both the Texas House &amp; Senate. Next destination: My Pen. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/txlege?src=hash">#txlege</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/tcot?src=hash">#tcot</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/NRA">@NRA</a></p>&mdash; Greg Abbott (@GregAbbott_TX) <a href="https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/604424103315927040">May 29, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

won't take effect until Jan 01, 2016

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bobby on top of things as usual.

The bill passed after lawmakers made concessions to law enforcement groups, who had been upset by an original provision that barred police from questioning people carrying guns if they have no other reason to stop them.

The final bill scrapped that language, meaning police will be able to ask Texans with handguns in plain sight if they have proper licenses.

Before Friday's vote, police groups had demanded that Abbott veto the bill if it wasn't taken out.

http://news.yahoo.com/bill-allowing-open-carry-handguns-clears-legislature-230852457.html

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure we'll just have to wait around and see how the courts interpret it. There have been cases that have gone both ways. Either way, my point still stands that any cop that is "worried" about people with CHL's are pretty stupid.

9. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm glad they took out that provision that police couldn't ask for proper licensing. I wish they would tighten up the licensing requirements though. I don't have to worry about printing anymore!

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even without that provision, the courts could very easily rule that someone merely having a firearm is not "reasonable suspicion" that a crime is being committed thus not reason to make a stop. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

11. Falcons Talon

That was taken out as I understand. Police can stop anyone displaying to ask for proper licensing. There is no need for probable suspicion.

Are you suggesting the courts will make a ruling on this law?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All stops require reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed, even without the provision built into the law. At some point there will be a legal battle over the issue just like there has been in multiple other states and the courts will decide if merely possessing a firearm is enough for reasonable suspicion that a crime is being committed.

Some courts have ruled that it is, some courts have ruled that it is not.

Personally I think it should not be "reasonable suspicion" in itself just the same as driving a vehicle isn't in itself reasonable suspicion enough for cops to pull you over to check if you have a drivers license.

13. Falcons Talon

Ahhh, I gotcha. 4th amendment rights. It is going to be interesting where this ends up.

On a different note, I wonder how many people do not realize that of will only be legal for chl holders.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's where I could see some problems. Most don't realize that the main reason they passed open carry to begin with was to close a loophole in the law that had it to where CHL holders could be arrested if someone happened to see their concealed handgun. The intent wasn't so that a bunch of people would walk around like John Wayne with a 6 gun strapped to their hip and honestly that probably won't happen very often because it would be stupid.

I personally don't have a CHL and have no intention of getting one, but I support those who do.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Are you from 2013? Because they cleared up intentional failure to conceal a long time ago. I'm starting to think you don't really follow along.

16. Falcons Talon

I haven't kept up with the newer laws. I guess I'll have to get the newest handbook. I renewed in 2012 iirc.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015/05/31/texas-legislature-passes-campus-carry-bill/

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Anyone know the provisions for Campus Carry? I'm surprised it passed.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No open carry at Whataburger.
    http://whataburger.com/company/pressreleasedetail/whataburger-addresses-open-carry-policy

There’s been a lot of talk the past couple weeks about Whataburger’s open carry policy, and I wanted to reach out to personally explain our position.

Whataburger supports customers’ Second Amendment rights and we respect your group’s position, but we haven’t allowed the open carry of firearms in our restaurants for a long time (although we have not prohibited licensed conceal carry). It’s a business decision we made a long time ago and have stood by, and I think it’s important you know why.

But first, as a representative of Whataburger, I want you to know we proudly serve the gun rights community. I personally enjoy hunting and also have my concealed carry license, as do others at Whataburger.

From a business standpoint, though, we have to think about how open carry impacts our 34,000+ employees and millions of customers. We serve customers from all walks of life at more than 780 locations, 24 hours a day, in 10 states and we’re known for a family friendly atmosphere that customers have come to expect from us. We’re the gathering spot for Little League teams, church groups and high school kids after football games.

We’ve had many customers and employees tell us they’re uncomfortable being around someone with a visible firearm who is not a member of law enforcement, and as a business, we have to listen and value that feedback in the same way we value yours. We have a responsibility to make sure everyone who walks into our restaurants feels comfortable. For that reason, we don’t restrict licensed concealed carry but do ask customers not to open carry in our restaurants.

As a company serving customers with many different viewpoints, we’re sometimes caught in the middle on controversial issues like this one. We hope you and your members, along with our other friends in the gun rights community, understand our position and will continue to visit us. We appreciate your business. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Preston Atkinson
    Whataburger President and CEO

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I'm holding a loaded 9mm as I type this post.