1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Black folks can't even pick up a toy gun in Wal-Mart without being murdered... That would be like signing their own death certificate.

I guess since there are so many Americans who live in fear for their lives it would take an executive order to take guns away. There's a lot of scared men in this country.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I'm just going to add you to my ignore list. I get dumber every time I read one of your comments.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Remii is annoying, but black folx carrying guns may be the best way to reinvigorate support for reasonable restrictions on firearm use - apparently dead children just isnt' enough after awhile.

4. Falcons Talon

I don't agree with open carry, but I'm sure hoping that open carry will require licensing, and anyone licensed will be subject to produce proof of licensing at any given moment by LE. Licensing for CHL requires an FBI background check, classes, and shooting qualification.

That FBI background check will be enough to disqualify many people from LEGALLY carrying.

5. Remii

Remii Member

Emotionally weak men who cry over comments on an anonymous blog who carry weapons amongst the public... Welcome to America.

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

The House just tacked on an amendment that prohibits police from asking if someone has a permit to carry (unless there is probably cause) which effectively means that permits are worthless since they more or less can't be enforced.

So now its pretty much the wild west since the house just undermined the permit enforcement process.

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Well, it's one four hour class and a shooting qualification that is incredibly easy. I spoke to a CHL instructor once and he told me that in seven years of teaching the class the only person that ever failed was a student that couldn't read English. So the pass rate for a CHL class is nearly 100% as long as you pass the FBI check and that should freak everyone out.

I once took an intermediate class and one of the chicks in the class had just received her CHL. She had no idea how to rack her slide or how clear malfunctions and didn't even how to hold her LCP. She frequently missed the entire target, just the basic B27.

So there are literally thousands, probably tens of thousands, of people with CHL's that don't have the first clue how to handle their firearms safely.

8. dback816

dback816 Member

Because emotionally weak men who cry and perpetuate the black vs white race war narrative are the future saviors of 'Murica right?

9. Falcons Talon

My class was a four hour class that included lecture, safety, gun handling, and shooting. In the class I took, and older man was removed because he was unsafe in his gun handling. He was partnered up with me at the range and a few times, he painted the group with his gun. After a warning and some instruction, he did it again and the instructor removed his weapon and he failed the class. My instructor was an ex police chief.

If the situation you presented is the norm, there is definitely need for reform.

10. Falcons Talon

That's ridiculous. I hope it doesn't pass.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Explain yourself please how did you come to that conclusion.

12. Falcons Talon

Remii...emotionally weak? Haha....What I've been through would put you in a fetal position. Ignoring a closed minded mental midget is not emotionally weak. I just don't want to waste any more time on you. You're not worth it.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just say "no" to the crony capitalists in the gun industry who pressure the legislators to pass these laws to increase their profits.

Drunken college students with guns on campus? What could go wrong.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So you think open carry is probable cause to ask for CHL? Is driving probable cause to ask for a DL?

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Solid point. Cops shouldn't feel like they have to or should dick with people simply because they are armed. That said, just like the driving analogy if someone is doing something they shouldn't be while armed or acting dangerously or recklessly, that's a completely different situation.

16. Falcons Talon

No, but I think anyone that is open carry should have nothing to hide if asked. It takes a brief moment to produce my CHL when asked.

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Your personal feelings about open carry are clouding your logic. You should also read up on laws about showing CHL to cops. Requirement is gone.

18. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The NRA simply wants a de facto state of open carry, regardless of whether someone is licensed. We all know what this amendment is about.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The amendment is so that people won't be harassed simply because they are carrying. Police have to have reasonable suspicion that criminal activity is or was taking place in order to stop or detain someone. The amendment merely states that someone carrying a weapon does not meet that standard and cannot be used to stop or detain someone. There is nothing prohibiting the officer from asking about a CHL if the stop or detainment was for other reasons.

Honestly it's not that controversial.

20. Falcons Talon

I wouldn't say my personal feeling are clouding my logic, but not being aware of the new changes.

Thanks for that heads up on the law. I'll admit that I'm still a year or two before I renew my chl which requires a refresher course. I'll look into that.

I still think declaring my concealed weapon and producing my CHL is good practice, if nothing else, to put LE officers at ease so they don't have to discover for themselves my weapon and put them into condition orange.

#220 Falcons Talon, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015