1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Open carry gun law making its way through Texas legislature

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I didn't say it was literally the same thing, I said it is essentially the same thing -- it's just legalese for "no guns."

I take no issue with businesses restricting the carrying of weapons on private property. And if gun nuts want to take their business elsewhere, so be it -- let the free market decide.

That being said, if I was a gun nut, I would be super pissed because I would basically have to throw my "values" or whatever in the trash, because there ain't no way I would give up Whataburger. Hell, they could forbid freedom of speech and I'd shut my ass up and get myself an extra HBCB to keep my mouth shut, haha.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

An illegal sign isn't essentially the same thing as a legal sign but okay then.

3. Buck Turgidson

Thank you for being a level-headed gun owner.

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

You're such a troll. A 30.06 or 30.07 (which I believe is the open carry section), means "no guns." Never even alluded to the them being equal in legality -- only in meaning.

5. CometsWin

I'm pretty sure the legality plays a significant role in the meaning. Maybe you should walk that back a little bit and see where you went wrong.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's exactly what he is.

7. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yah, I wasn't wrong, except for the part about you being an annoying troll. A 30.06/30.07 sign MEANS "no guns." That doesn't mean putting a "no guns" sign is equal to placing the legal 30 dot signs, it means that 30.06/07 refers to the code forbidding guns, ie, no guns.

Troll on.

8. CometsWin

They're essentially the same thing except they're not. "No guns" doesn't mean anything in Texas. Stupid on.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really does though. If you have a sign that says no open carry allowed in your store, and someone decides to do so anyway, you refuse them service. Simple as that just as if they walked in barefoot and you have a policy requiring shoes.

Why would it have to be more than just store policy?

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I'm pretty sure they would still need to have a 30.06/.07 sign to be in compliance with the law.

Comets, grow up and stop being an annoying prick. If you don't understand that a 30.06/.07 sign means "no guns," than you're a moron. If you took that to mean that they are equivalent in the eyes of the law, you are a moron. Grow up and stop trolling so people can have rational discussions without having to deal with petulant little children such as yourself.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not talking about making it illegal to openly carry in those establishments, I'm talking about a store policy. You need a 30.06/.07 sign to make it a misdemeanor to carry past the sign, but that's not what I'm talking about. It's not illegal to be barefoot or shirtless in a restaurant, but they have store policies requiring you to wear shoes and a shirt.

A simple sign that says no open carry would be sufficient just like the "no shoes no shirt no service" sign is.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yep that makes sense to me .

13. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Maybe you are right. I spoke to a policy analyst who worked on all the gun issues for the past 3-4 sessions and he didn't seem to think that would suffice. He offered to call DPS to verify, but I didn't want him to bother.

14. CometsWin

You can cry and whine and go around twisting yourself around about it but they're still not essentially the same thing. It's hard to have a rational discussion with someone who can't grasp something so basic. Get a brain moran.

I guarantee you the types of gun owners who will open carry will completely ignore a "no guns" sign. It won't mean anything to them.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I have not really paid any attention to this law. My question is: Can a Texas resident carry a registered shotgun around town?

16. CometsWin

All long guns are open carry.

17. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

No **** they will ignore it because it isn't a legal prohibition sign, which I never said it was. What does a 30.06 sign mean? Tell me what it means. It MEANS NO FRIGGIN GUNS! How do you take that to mean it is legally equivalent to a "no guns" sign? Only a complete buffoon would make such an assumption....oh, that's right....

Thumbs, long guns are already legal to open carry, but I believe they have to be slung over your shoulder. Carrying in a "threatening manner" is not legal.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The way I see it, if you are open carrying in a place that doesn't want you to, they simply refuse you service and ask you to leave, if you refuse they call the police to issue a criminal trespass warning. Simple as that.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I can take my 12 gauge into a Luby's Restaurant, even in Killeen? Sweet. :rolleyes:

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In theory, yes. That said, they'd almost certainly tell you that openly carrying shotguns is against their store policy and they'd ask you to leave.