1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair is considering Texans for Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 23, 2015.

1. roxon

roxon Member

Where do I watch it?

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

How arrogant of you to assume that folks not in favor of this are weak minded. Well the same thing can be said of folks like yourself who believe that it's a good thing to have your professional football team on a reality TV show. This team has a number of issues that have to be worked out and I, for one, would prefer them to be done so while not on TV. I understand the publicity value and all that but I have to agree with Swoly-D here who posted: "I'd rather them be on TV because they're winning and because they do good things, not just to "showcase them" on a preseason show."

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think it necessarily hurts, but I don't think it necessarily helps either.

I took no greater interest in the Falcons, Bengals, or Dolphins just because they were on a TV show for 5 weeks. I really don't think it will affect the Texans brand much one way or the other.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

100,000,000% agree. I don't, generally, understand the seemingly endless search for national validation so many fans seem to covet; less so, here, since we all know the lifespan of any Hard Knocks appetite, which has been on for a decade+, ends roughly 10 minutes after the final show airs.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Who's looking for validation?

I want to watch for my own enjoyment. I don't give two poops about what the national audience watches.

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't either.

The Texans as a franchise have never put much into marketing outside of Greater Houston. They've had 0 presence anywhere else in Texas and have barely made an effort since their inception. I still remember one of their caravans back in 2004 that came through Austin. I ran into them at Dave & Busters while they were on their lunch break. They sent Sloan Thomas (just drafted and hadn't even made the team), the deep snapper, a trainer, and some assistant to an assistant coach. It was so pathetic.

Now, I would just love to see it to see inside their process.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Then go to the open practices and listen to the coaches. :eek: There's no "only shown in Houston" Hard Knocks.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Ditto. I don't give a crap about how anyone else perceives us. I just think the show is well-done and I'd love to watch my favorite team on it.

No more complicated than that.

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Hard Knocks likes a team where the starting QB is undetermined going into the season

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Not really. The closest was a couple of years ago with the Dolphins when Tannehill was a rookie. But last year was the Falcons/Matt Ryan. And Bengals/Dalton the year before that. No competition there. The Jets in 2010 had Sanchez entering his 2nd year after leading the team to the playoffs the year before. The Bengals they year before that had Carson Palmer as their established starter. He was coming off injury, but it wasn't like there was competition. And Romo had been the starter for a couple of years the last time Dallas was on the show.

12. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Seems like it could be a huge distraction,especially for a team trying to work in so many new systems and players .... Would love to see them on it but would rather they have 100% focus on training camp .

13. Hey Now!

If there's a consistent theme that resonates throughout every part of the BBS, national vindication is most assuredly at the top of a very short list. People here are consumed by it. Heck, *I'm* somewhat consumed by it if the Bags4HoF campaign is any indication.

14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

And yet people are starting to freak out over JJ's high profile.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Forget about national vindication... but you have to admit that the Texans on Hard Knocks would give you more of an insight to the players on this team (which thereby could make any fan of this team an even bigger fan).

NFL players are the hardest players for any fan to relate to.... mainly because most fans couldn't recognize half the guys without their pads or helmets on. They're largely faceless gladiators in armor.

The personal/backstory stuff on hard knocks, along with the coaches evaluating players amongst themselves, are largely the best parts of the show. Hell, most of the time the show is about the obscure players who may or may not make the team..... much moreso than features on the "stars".

16. Hey Now!

I never said I didn't want them to do it, and I sure didn't skewer the show's awesomeness; it's a tremendous show. I merely eye-rolled the chase for national vindication because 1) it's ultimately uniformly meaningless; 2) HK doesn't move the needle on it at all. I mean, there are people in this thread, including a guy I assumed was a fairly huge football junkie (justtxyank), who don't watch it*

* Doesn't mean to imply you're not a huge football junkie, justtxyank. I just would have pegged you for an avid watcher - that you don't, expressly because it has yet to feature a team you care about, underscores my point. HK is for fans who mainline football and/or are the choir (ie fans of the team featured).

17. Hey Now!

Wouldn't you say another common theme is that the sky is falling, always?

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The thing about this show is, they don't usually spend a lot of time on the stars of the team or even the guys who are a shoe-in to make the roster. The whole premise of the show is to show the stories of the guys on the bubble just trying to make the team. That's where the drama is and that's where the show spends the most time.

Will JJ Watt make the team? Not much drama there.... Will the rookie picked in the 7th round make the team? There's your show.

So I don't think it will be much of a distraction, considering that most of the guys the cameras follow around the most are the guys who may not even make the team.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

BOB did something like this at penn state it was called all access.

20. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. This team could win the Super Bowl and some folks would b**** about the score being too close.