1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob McNair is considering Texans for Hard Knocks

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Commodore, Mar 23, 2015.

1. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Yes yes yes please

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Browns could bow out of Hard Knocks:

Browns coach Mike Pettine said Tuesday that protecting a recovered Johnny Manziel from further public scrutiny is one reason the club has “declined to volunteer” as the featured team on HBO’s Hard Knocks series this summer.

The Browns have met with HBO producers here at NFL meetings and expressed their concerns with the Manziel factor. The Browns still could be required to participate because they don’t meet any of the three exemptions set forth by league guidelines in 2013.

“We discussed everything that was involved with it. That was certainly something we needed to consider,” Pettine said.

“I wouldn’t say (concern about Manziel) loomed large. You just weigh everything in. Because being a part of Hard Knocks, knowing they’re going to look to cover the team’s biggest, current storylines. It’s obvious that he would be a point of attention.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=43561

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

McNair to Brown's owner Haslem: We are prepared to volunteer to help you out. No strings attached. Now, on another matter entirely with no connection to what we just discussed, the NFL is requiring us to spend X dollars on stadium improvements, of which X dollars are to be paid by the team. It sure would be nice if other NFL owners would make certain financial concessions to help offset that inconvenience for my franchise.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Where is this narrative coming from?

Look at the history:

2008 Cowboys: 9-7
    2009 Bengals: 10-6
    2010 Jets: 11-5
    2011 n/a
    2012 Dolphins 7-9 (6-10 previous year)
    2013 Bengals: 11-5
    2014 Falcons: 6-10 (4-12 previous year)

The Dolphins and Falcons were going to suck anyway with or without Hard Knocks.

I say BRING IT.

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

The Browns have told NFL films they will not volunteer and would prefer not to do it because of increased scrutiny on Johnny Football. The NFL could force them to do it, but I think if another team volunteers then I doubt they'd go that route.

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Be careful what you ask for...

7. justtxyank

[​IMG]

Hard Knocks will destroy you all! Mwuahahahahahahaa!

8. magman

magman Member

I highly doubt that if the Texans have a crappy season, that the biggest culprit will be the Texans featured on Hard Knocks.

As a fan, I would love to see some behind the scenes footage. Would be great exposure for the Texans in my opinion.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think people might be mixing this up with the Madden Curse.

10. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I really don't think Hard Knocks has an ill effect on the teams win-loss record. Most of those losing teams were already pretty low on the talent pool, and/or had terrible coaching staffs.

I would definitely love to see the Texans covered. Especially with this years story lines of Watt simply being Watt, Clowney's recovery, Nix getting bashed in the off season by Owner/Coach, QB competition. There is a ton of interesting things as to which would give a very entertaining show, even for non-Texans fans.

But even with all of that, I would rather get through this 2nd year and get the QB search over/onward with before a distraction of Hard Knocks comes a knocking.

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

A full hour of Watts tenacious behaviorally attitude on the field would suffice.

12. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

I honestly think this could be beneficial no matter what happens record wise if you take the hard knocks spot. We all know J.J. would dominate the tv, however how many players are wired like J.J. that it would not be a distraction. Only thing I could see it doing for J.J. is giving him more exposure for next years MVP race.

As far as the rest of the team goes, more national media attention in a good way would be great. NON ESPN attention would be even better. Worst case scenario is we suck really bad, which I can only see happening if both Mallet and Hoyer just suck. Even then we have a great position to get a high draft pick/shot at a QB depending on next years crop.

Totally win win in my eyes.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I say NO. Don't add to the distractions that are already there. :eek:

The media frenzy over one team is what you all hate BSPN for, and yet you want something like this...? Sounds hypocritical to me.

I'd rather them be on TV because they're winning and because they do good things, not just to "showcase them" on a preseason show.

14. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

The press release stating that the Atlanta Hawks will be featured on Hard Knocks was on June 12, 2014.

So we've probably got to wait until June to hear about who will be selected this year. I hope the Texans get it because I would love to get some more inside looks at how the Texans operate.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Damn, that's crazy...for a basketball team to be that good to be featured on a football program.

Maybe if Dwight and TJones werent hurt for most of the season, we'd see the Rockets on there. :(

:grin:

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Astros have that on lock.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Hey! You can laugh all you want but folks who don't listen to Sponge Bob end up paying the price...

18. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd love this because it would showcase a lot of the great stuff about our city. Not to mention that the Texans (like it or not) have always really only filled the roster with men of character - which is worth showcasing.

19. justtxyank

I've never understood why people DON'T like it. I like that the teams in Houston are generally of high character relative to other teams. I've never bought the narrative that you need some bad apples in order to win.

When people say that it reminds me of the movie Catch Me If You Can with the whole "Yankees win because of the Pinstripes" stuff.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The People who don't won't their team on the show are people who believe in jinxes, curses, football Gods. It's people with weak sports minds that think if something goes wrong it's not the team but everything around them.