1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Harrison has mailed in every performance for the past decade and a half, maybe more. I did like him in Age of Adeline recently. Thought he put more into that than he did with the last Indy and now with TFA. Either way, i'm glad he's dead. He's wanted his character to be killed off since ROTJ. Being old is an okay excuse though. It's not like everyone who has a really standout personality keeps that exact same personality when you're reaching your late 70's. It's because of his age and not being Han anymore that i am glad they killed him off.

Leia. Sheesh. What a mess. Carrie's face is stuck together when she speaks. Her lips can barely move. So sad when you see older women that couldn't age naturally because they kept having plastic surgery and end up looking like some serial killer that cut off a persons face and put it over their own. It really bothers me. Right now there's an actress in 'The Night Of who is a lawyer and i can't stand the way she speaks and looks. It freaks me out. That's what Carrie Fisher is becoming. I'm also few hours into play Lego Star Wars TFA and Carrie voice acted for it and she's terrible in that too. Just a deep smokers voice with minimal facial flexibility to speak correctly. I'm afraid she's going to be a big part of the next two movies since her son will be the villain, so she has to be involved right? Just get rid of her. Make her die of a broken heart like Padme.

Luke. Mark Hamill is the one and only one i am looking forward to. As Surguy said, Mark looks very interested and invested in this as he was when he was a kid. I of course still have a fear he is messed up due to age and it just won't be the same, but he honestly seems full of energy in all of his interviews. We all knew Harrison(age) and Carrie's(drugs, screw loose) state long before they announced a new Star Wars trilogy. We knew Peter Meyhew couldn't even walk anymore. We knew James Earl Jones was nearing the end. We knew Billy Dee Williams was too old too. Mark was the only one who still had his own personality left and all he needed to do was lose some weight.

I'm glad they all didn't really get too much screen time and i hope that trend continues. Han as a 74 year old man still running around as a smuggler? Come on. That'd ridiculous. The idea of Leia as a 60 year old General is okay but i would have preferred they were both retired. The whole script and directing of TFA felt rushed and thrown in just to make money. They took no risks. That's my biggest issue. George was right to complain. They just made remade the originals all bunched into one worse movie.

As far as the new generation. I like them all. They each have a lot potential in their character development. I'd say Poe Dameron is my favorite character. So far Snoke is the only one i really didn't care for. Andy Serkis is such a bad ass voice and motion capture actor and i wish i could say it's just the design of Snoke that i didn't like, but Serkis's voice was also just boring and normal. Felt wasted.

OH! Last thing. The CGI is jarring. You can't have so many practical effects and people in costumes and then throw in full CGI charcters like Maz, the monster creatures, and Snoke. Really throws you off. They needed to establish this was a world where we'd see fully cgi characters and not just throw them in halfway through a retro looking movie.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

Are we sure that is Desplat's score in the trailers? As long as it sounds familiar to the franchise, it should be good. Some of my favorite SW music comes from non-John Williams scores. Shadows of the Empire by Joel McNeely being my favorite. They all pretty much take influence from what John Williams gave and they take in their own unique direction so that is what i expect from Desplat.

I don't know about Harry Potter(Didn't John Williams create the Harry Potter Theme?) and Twilight, but i was excited about Desplat because he did The Curious Case of Benjamin Button which i absolutely love.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VndyxjBXCd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He also did a great job with adding to the mood of Argo. He's done a ton of really above average films, but i don't remember their scores standing out. I'm sure if i went back, i'd enjoy them.

Gotta say though, part of me really wished they chose Michael Giacchino, but he may end up taking over for John Williams if he can't do anymore after VIII. John Williams TFA was his weakest Star Wars score yet. I liked the Rey Theme and The Jedi Steps, but that's about it. He didn't really get much time to work on it though(Everything about TFA was rushed). He's already starting on the new score so i think he absolutely nails it this time.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is AWESOME.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oMmiNeVrbDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe the Beastie Boys should do the soundtrack. :)

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That Rogue One Beastie Boys mix really is freaking good!

5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Rogue Binks: A Star Wars Story

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0IcjLG_VfNg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

star wars continues to just steal ideas and directors from star trek? wow

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That is not an official commercial. That is a "fan mashup." Done quite well, I might add!

8. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

NEW TRAILER!!

Haymitch and Snow Villiers like this.
  9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

So pumped for this :)

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Can't wait for this movie. I just have a bad feeling (about this) that the Darth Vader hype is going to be like the Luke Skywalker hype for TFA.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm anticipating that too but I'm OK with it.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's sad we see Vader in his black suit. Would love to see Hayden Christensen in all his glory as the Darth.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think we've already seen more of vader in the previews than we saw of Luke entirely in TFA! :)

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

I thought his black suit was the only suit he ever wore?

FishBulb913 likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Whoa. My body is ready! Please don't suck!

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I would like to see it worn in all colors of the rainbow personally....depending on how Vader is feeling. Pink when he's feeling gay, etc. .:p

And, I wonder how it works when he goes to the bathroom? Is it a one piece or is he able to drop trow? Or, does he just hold it forever by using his powers? His problem is he's backed up all the time. That's why he's so mean and dark. It still leaks out and I guess the black color hides it well. It could have been solved prior if he wasn't so embarrassed, saw a doctor, and corrected it to where he had regular bowel movements. Before the suit, the Hayden character didn't know why he was getting so cranky to want to turn to the dark side. He may have had constipation caused by Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and was undiagnosed. Just saying. I mean...he kills a bunch of kid Jedis-in-training. He's jealous because they don't have his problems. No one...not even Michael Meyers...kills children (at least, ones unrelated to him).

#338 Surfguy, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Looks great, I have not seen the last one yet but I don't recognize the main characters (mainly the girl) were they in the last one?

20. Entropy

Entropy Member

Seems like they are shying away from the darker tone of the first trailer, trying to go for a more upbeat approach. Hope this isn't a reflection of the reshoots that happened.

#340 Entropy, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016