1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Star Wars: Rogue One

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Mar 12, 2015.

1. jsingles

jsingles Member

I don't listen to hip hop hahahahaha

2. VanityHalfBlack

Anyone else thought Donnie Yen's dialogue sucked? or lack of some action scenes of him you know, fighting with stormtroopers or whatever?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I especially liked how the At-At winced in pain. :confused:

4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Same here. While it looked to be a lot more substantive than SW-TFA, I haven't yet bought into the JJA story telling - it just feels somewhat lightweight and by-the-numbers, more for kids than adults. Now I'm keen to see how Forest Whitaker's character is handled because he's supposed to be a real bad ass.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The way it has always been and the way it will always be.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Surely, it can't be any worse than The Force Awakens because that was mostly garbage imo aside from the performances of the new faces.

I welcome our new Force friends. Please be a movie with some replay value because TFA is not really worth watching again imo.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

For those of you who have surround sound systems in your place, i found this website where you can download Surround Sound Movie Trailers: http://thedigitaltheater.com/

(Just click Movie Trailers at the top and click on last update so it brings up the most recent trailers.)

After just watching the Rouge One trailer again in surround sound on my all Klipsch system, i felt it had a bigger impact on me. It must be the poor audio quality of the youtube upload that just makes the music very drowned out sounding. Everything sounds tremendous in the downloaded one though. I'm convinced the music being clearer and louder made all the difference for me.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

I liked TFA despite it being a carbon copy of Empire, however the rewatchability is very poor. This one should be way better since it should be a real original (with no jedis?).

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Performances of the new faces? Jeez, I think it was the old faces that carried the film. Rey, Fin and Kylo were just behind Jar Jar in suck ass.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

International Trailer,
    a little more revealed

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/48XWkN0jBQY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

That Vader exhale was forced at the end. Just to get the fans to freak out... again.

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I thought Rey was a decent addition but glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who thought that Finn and Kylo were terrible especially the Kylo.....

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Kylo grew on me after I watched more of the actors performances in other films. I could see what they were going for and liked it more, rather just thinking it a little corny. Rey was brilliant. Finn was ok, but I'll give his character a chance to develop. Finn's character didn't feel authentic to me when he was walking away from Rey. Yes. He's a runner. But it didn't feel right.

This Rouge one plot could best be summarized as the guy who wants the Death Star 2 contract handing over the plans to the rebel alliance, because we all know that's how this shiat really works.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Odd, Finn was my favorite of the new three.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Driver as Kylo didn't really do it for me. I thought he was a miscast. I haven't heard one complaint about Rey before knote32. Obviously, your pretty much alone in even bringing up Jar Jar in comparison to any of these characters. That's ridiculous to even mention them in the same sentence. Everyone aside from Han, Leia, and Chewie is a new face...so it is not limited to just Rey, Finn, and Kylo.

As far as the old characters "carrying" the film, I didn't really see it that way. Harrison as Han was only okay. His performance was bland and uninspired at best imo. He did not come close to recapturing the magic of Han but I'll give him a break since he's up there in age. His climactic scene was anything but imo. Leia doesn't really count as her three seconds of screen time aren't even worth mentioning. Chewie was...well....Chewie. Luke was good...all one second of him.

I think Mark Hamill is still invested in his character enough to deliver a good performance next film and I'm looking forward to it. In comparison, I thought Harrison was pretty much just there for his money grab and nothing particularly stood out about his performance to me. It felt like he phoned it in to me. It didn't work as well partially because he's lost his younger, aloof self that made Han stand out in the originals. Here...he just felt old and uninspired.

The biggest problem with TFA imo was just the unoriginality. And, I didn't particularly care for the Kylo storyline carrying the film. Obviously, they needed a new villain but the new villain just wasn't believable and the story behind it just didn't add up to me anyway. In summary, Han and Leia are really bad parents. They should have called the film "The Parents Awaken" from whatever coma they were in when while their son grew up and became Darth Vader-like. The villain felt like Justin Bieber landed in Star Wars.

Even BB-8 had me missing R2-D2. BB-8 would have made a great intelli-soccer ball, though!

But, we all have our opinions. Luke and Rey will make the next one much better imo if the story is there. Good riddance to Han.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I liked the international trailer better than the Rogue One Trailer #2. It helps capture the "urgency" that was in Trailer #1, with the visuals that are in #2. Feels more complete.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

TFA was great. Y'all are some negative Nancy's.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Really liking the music so far.

I don't know anything about Alexandre Desplat because I'm not a Harry Potter or Twilight guy, but judging by the two trailers....I'm liking what I'm hearing. He seems to be referencing some of Williams' iconic Star Wars themes but in a darker and more brooding way, which is probably more fitting for this movie.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've been thinking that same thing every time I read through this thread...but the older I get, the less I care about arguing over stuff like that. I loved the movie...my kids loved the movie.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. PhiSlammaJamma

Looking forward to the dark ewok.