1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Mavericks vs. Thunder in Game 1 of the West Semis. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

2015: Clowney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, May 8, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If we switched their careers would we also be switching their ages and their upside? Anyway, I know there's a certain segment of Texans fans that are convinced that Mack and Bridgewater are the greatest players ever because they are still salty about not getting their way in that draft but it'll seem more and more foolish as time goes on. You'll see.....and then you'll probably try to pretend like you never questioned the pick.

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If Clowney turns out to be better than Mack I will be the first to admit I was wrong. Right now it's not even close to being the case and if you offered the raiders clowney for Mack they would laugh in your face.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, think what you want on the issue. I'm not going to speculate as to what the Raiders would do, but I can tell you that Clowney is the more feared defender as evidenced by how often he was double teamed and schemed against in what was essentially his first season worth of starts. Mack doesn't get double teamed like that.

Maybe that's not a valid way of determining who is the more feared defender, but I certainly think it is. I mean there were plays where they went one on one with Watt in order to double Clowney and he was effectively a rookie.

Of course we'll have a much better idea of where people stand this time next year, so there's not much we can say now that will matter. We just have to wait it out and see what we see.

4. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Kahlil Mack is in the top 5 of all defensive players in the NFL. Sometimes the homers here make me speechless. Rick Smith should be fired for choosing Clowney over Mack.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

But you think he's worth Von Miller? Maybe you should trust your instincts to be speechless.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hindsight is 20/20. Clowney was the consensus #1. I'm glad you have visions of the future. what are the lottery numbers for tonight?

7. Marteen

Marteen Member

Yeah, you think Watt is still on the board with the 11th pick if the league knew what they know today? DeAndre Hopkins at 27? Yeah, having the right staff and scouts is a huge part of it, but the draft is pretty much a crapshoot. I still have some faith that he can be a good run stopper if he isn't already.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-clowney?campaign=tw-nf-sf30449299-sf30449299

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

10. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

I like how Clowney is under the radar now. If this dude, JJ, and Whitney can somehow play all 16 games this season, we are going to be sick!!!

11. MystikArkitect

No one would've picked Mack over Clowney.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

a
    How many GMs should be fired for picking Von/Dareus/PatPat/Aldon over Watt?

What about Tavon over Hopkins?

Should Morey be fired for picking Morris over Kawhi?

:rolleyes:

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

How many teams would've picked Bortles over Clowney?

The bigger issue might be the CRAP luck of having THREE #1 picks in team history and there never being a more obvious #1 pick-worthy QB... the most important position on the field.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.....LOL no. Not many thought Bortles was worthy of the #1 overall pick and the "most obvious #1 pick worthy QB" when the Texans had the #1 pick was the first one they took, David Carr.

Clowney was the obvious #1 pick and even in his limited games he's showing why he was the obvious #1 pick.

15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Clowney hasn't proven anything yet.

I think I remember the Texans trying to trade that number one pick, but no other team was interested in Clowney enough to make a decent offer. There were questions about Clowney's health and his desire before the draft. The Texans had concerns, as did other NFL teams.

So far, the pick hasn't panned out. BUT, maybe this will be the year everything comes together for Clowney and the Texans. I am sincerely hoping Clowney can stay healthy the entire year and show us all what he is capable of.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Stop posting in this thread. Everytime I see activity in it I think he got hurt again.

17. Buck Turgidson

This.

He's a bust. Strong is a bust. Everyone is a bust.

--Mr. Clutch

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I called Strong and Nix.

I like Clowney, that was the right pick unless we could have traded down.

I think osweiler will be a bust which will lead to rick Smith reassigned and O'Brien bringing in a new gm. But bill O'Brien is a bust too.

I like Will Fuller.

19. Buck Turgidson

I don't care, just ****ing with you.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Haha fair enough

Hard to tell in the Texans forum. This place is serious business