1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Watt win DPOY this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pieman2005, Nov 3, 2014.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, LT was a transcendent player so comparing him with JJ is indeed unfair. Actually, Clowney was supposed to possess the potential to be in LT's class but sadly, that's no longer a possibility now with his injury. A pity.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just imagine JJ all jacked up on some yayo

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Just imagine JJ playing in Taylors era, he would have wreaked havoc. Today he has to tiptoe the line to keep from getting the hanky.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

I was very high on Clowney, but to say he could be in LT's class but JJ couldn't... unless I am misinterpreting you, I would heavily, heavily, very heavily disagree with that statement.

Would you not say in the 12-4 season, he had an MVP season? There were too many records being broken on the offensive side to overshadow him. Timing is key. If the Texans had not lost three qb's recently, the MVP outlook this season would look much different as well.

Also, two DPOY in four years is quite the progress needed. What JJ did his second year was a historic season. Wade Phillips stated he had the best defensive season ever, and he has been in this business for a while. I know what he says is not fact, but the man has been coaching defenses and many HOF players and inserts credibility. In addition, I think many people do not acknowledge that Watt is putting up these numbers in a position where play-making is really not its calling card (and is still not). Also to be considered is the lack of help on the defensive side of the ball.

LT was a freak, but to not even say that JJ can't even be compared is indeed unfair. Really, at JJ's current trajectory, he can be in the same conversation. What is stopping JJ from 10 1st team all-pros? What is stopping JJ from a very possible 4+ DPOY (higher than LT)? And you can bet money that in the next successful season for the Texans, JJ will probably be awarded the MVP. Voters realized the snub in 2012.

Edit: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...vp-houston-texans-defensive-end-mvp/20459761/

Timing is key.

#104 jbasket, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

roids were legal and widespread at LT's time. O-lines looked like bodybuilders.

6. NotChandlerParsons

Now they're just widespread.

7. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we'll just ignore the fact that LT played across from Hall of Famer Harry Carson and alongside Carl Banks.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Someone doesn't know what yayo is.

9. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Tony is not amused. If Watt can only use the line "say hello to my little friend":grin:

[​IMG]

10. StevieCrossover

Wish Watts wins. only thing I can think of holding him back is Texans record.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

For the Lulz part II

Sheldon Richardson thinks he is on JJ. Watt level

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ts-richardson-im-on-the-same-level-as-jj-watt

Jets' Richardson: I'm on the same level as J.J. Watt

By Dan Hanzus

J.J. Watt is widely regarded as the greatest defensive player on the planet. Sheldon Richardson believes he should be in that conversation.

The Jets defensive tackle took Defensive Rookie of the Year honors in 2013 and has been a bright spot in a lost season in the Meadowlands. Richardson is serious about this Watt thing.

"J.J. Watt, he's got a few more sacks than me, but it's the same type of disruption," Richardson told ESPNNewYork.com on Thursday. "He's a little more active, I'll give you that, but we have the same type of determination, same heart, same skills. He scores touchdowns, I score touchdowns."

The numbers don't paint a favorable picture for Richardson's case. Watt has 16.5 sacks and five touchdowns, three of which have come on offense. Richardson has 6.5 sacks and has yet to get a touch in Marty Mornhinweg's offense. Richardson had two rushing touchdowns last season. He believes he should be seen in the same class as Watt, Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh.

"The same people you see mentioned every day, getting big contracts, I'm on the same level," Richardson said. "I don't put them over me, I don't put them under me. Most definitely, it's the same comparison, really.

"You name it, I'll put myself up there. I'm not scared to say it. You don't get to this point not being confident. If somebody calls me cocky, oh well, they'll get over it."

This is crazy talk, but Richardson does have the goods to be a special player. He also brings some swagger to a Jets operation that really hasn't had any since Braylon Edwards was doing backflips in Foxborough.

1 person likes this.
  12. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I clicked on this thread to post this.

There aren't enough facepalms.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>JJ Watt officially has my MVP vote. He turned Joe Flacco into Joe Happy Feet less than an hour.</p>&mdash; Bill Simmons (@BillSimmons) <a href="https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/546751570344304640">December 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Someone was saying that Dumerville was in the running.....

Hahahahahahaha

You just saw the difference.

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

oops, shouldn't have made that second thread.

16. Buck Turgidson

Butkus, Deion, Rod Woodson, Ronnie Lott, Bob Lilly, Nietszche, Reggie White, LT, Ray Lewis, Singletary, Deacon Jones,

Watt.

Who am I missing?

17. tmacfor35

Ed reed..... Yeah I went there.

18. Buck Turgidson

No doubt, good call

19. tmacfor35

What happens if Watt plays great again next week and somehow the Texans get in?

Then Rodgers plays a stinker?

.......turn down for "Watt"!!!!!

20. Buck Turgidson