1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Watt win DPOY this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pieman2005, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The QB position is just so important, and so much easier to make a huge impact at. A great QB is by far the most important player in the NFL.

Having said that, Watt is playing at a level that only 1-2 players have approached in the last 30 years (Taylor/Smith).

No one has sustained Watt's level of domination for 3 straight seasons.

Watt is still early in his career, but he has dominated defensively the last 3.5 seasons like no one in several generations..... he is the best player to ever play in Houston and one of the greatest players in NFL history...... he is an "All Century" type player.

2. mikus

mikus Member

Unfortunately, a game like today shows why JJ Watt cannot be the MVP. I posted earlier in this thread and I would still root for him to get MVP, but I think a game like today where he again had a great game, but could not win it for us, shows why QBs get the lion's share of MVP awards. As incredible a season as JJ Watt has had this year, it's just not enough :( The Texans aren't even particularly bad in any one aspect this year, other than inconsistent QB play from all 3 QBs who have played.

3. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Does things change for Watt after the Rodgers loss? Or is the MVP race relatively still the same?

4. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

The Rodgers loss helped Murray more than anything. Watt basically lost more ground to those two, regardless of their performance, because we're going to miss the playoffs.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I had the exact opposite response; if anything, he solidified his candidacy: he outplayed another candidate (Luck) and kept his team in a game despite their 2nd string QB breaking his leg. He had two huge sacks, got a TD wiped out by drawing a holding call and forced the Colts to account for him every single play (which they were doing with double and triple teams)...

If yesterday's game somehow swung the pendulum away from Watt, it's only because voters weren't paying attention.

6. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I'd put Watt 5th, after Brady, Rodgers, Murray, and Manning. I might even throw in Luck before him.

He's easily the DPOY though

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Do voters watch the entire games of every candidate? Or do they moreso look at stats? Because if it is the latter, then that negates a lot of what you just said, even though you're correct.

I think Rodgers might have dropped a slot. I think whichever QB on the team that wins the AFC (Broncos or Pats) will be frontrunner. GB might not even make it to the playoffs, with Detroit and Seattle going strong.

It's too bad that Watt most likely won't win MVP - there are just too many factors going against him.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, you know that they vote on MVP before the playoffs. So if you were talking about who wins the AFC, as in who goes to the Super Bowl, then what happens in the playoffs doesn't matter.

I think GB just needs to win one out of their last 2 to secure a playoffs spot (and they play Tampa on Sunday). The only team that can catch them is Philly, who's a game back, and GB won the head to head. GB would need to lose their last 2 and Philly would have to win its last 2 for GB to be out.

9. Hey Now!

It really depends on connected and progressive the voters are. I wouldn't have Tom Brady in my top five; I'd have Gronkowski, though. He's what elevates that offense.

I'd also throw Murray out; his OL is the MVP of that team - he shouldn't be awarded for running through large holes. Not to mention, he's not having a better season than Arian Foster, Le'Veon Bell or Justin Forsett, frankly - just more carries. Foster is actually having a *better* season; he's just hasn't been healthy every game.

IMO, it should Rodgers or Watt with Luck 3rd and Gronkowski 4th.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Nah, I meant whoever gets the #1 seed in the AFC, heading into the playoffs.

Yeah, I didn't realize Philly was that far back. Losing to the Cowboys on Sunday really hurt them in more ways than one.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Just put him in at QB. :mad:

12. newAge_Rockets

Lol, Ganguli doing her hardest to rep the Texans in the national media. I'm in the camp that says JJ should get it if Houston makes the playoffs, but it should go to Rodgers if we don't (which we all know is most likely).

He'll still win DPOY, and he is the best player in the NFL buy there's a difference between being the best and being the most valuable.

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

^That Jeff Chadiha guy sounds like a dumbass. He acts like all Watt does is sack the QB.

Anyway, this thread has definitely become "Can Watt win MVP this year?". I don't think he can win MVP at this point. I think he's the best player in the league, but he's not as valuable (capable of carrying a team to victory) as other players.

Back to the actual topic. I can't envision a scenario in which he doesn't win DPOY this year. It would take Dumerville or Justin Houston doing something insane in addition to Watt being a no-show in the last two weeks.

14. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

why is there a difference? MVP should be awarded to best player in that year.

15. conquistador#11

that chadiha guy made me very upset.:mad:

the nfl knows that the media and fans are too dumb to appreciate defense let alone a holy phenom like watt. eventually ,they will create an award in honor of watt.

I'll be cheering for the cardinals and since we won't make it, the bills to sneak in, just so they can continue to prove that a superb line will make manning, brady and rodgers crumble into the fetal position.

Dink and dunk brady with romeo crennel> fantasy potty mouth brady.
    get off my f'n lawn, quarterbacks! watt will steal your baby mommas.

16. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

^ yeah, and what the hell does Chadiha know about LT? What was he like 13 or 14 when that happened?

Watt is just as disruptive as LT. LT had better players around him.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

At times, yes Watt can be just as disruptive as was LT but LT did this week in and week out while Watt has yet to dominate in that manner. He still has games where his overall impact is somewhat subdued. The biggest impact that LT had on the game was that his level of play forced NFL offenses to change the way they schemed against defenses. Watt has yet to do this so I think Chadiha was being really fair in his assessment. But sadly, I have to agree with him on Watts' chances because I, too, cannot see them giving the award to a guy whose team fails to make the playoffs.

18. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Seriously? Let's ask all the offensive coordinators in the league if this is true. They are double, triple teaming him and trying to run away from him but he still moves around and dominates every snap.

19. Hey Now!

It's to LT's credit - but one of the reasons he was so dominant is that nobody had the personnel to combat him. There were no speed edge rushers in the NFL. I mean, there's a book dedicated to the idea that LT ushered in the importance of the left tackle. So he sort of, kind of *couldn't* be schemed against.

Watt is not an anomaly in that sense; teams have the capacity to combat him. But i think comparing him - or anyone, really - to LT is inherently unfair.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

True but that's already in the scope of what they do offensively - add another blocker, etc.. He impacts the game alright but I don't see OCs out there coming with completely new schemes because of JJ Watt. Now if Clowney had been able to live up to all the hype, maybe this would be a different conversation but alas, it is what it is. Plus in spite of his "dominating every snap" as you put it, the Texans are 7-7 and all but out of the playoffs. That's the biggest thing working against his winning MVP. As was pointed out, the only guy from a losing team to win MVP was OJ Simpson way back in 1973 which was the year he set the single season rushing record. It would take something record breaking like that for JJ to bust through. I do see him winning DPOY however.