1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Watt win DPOY this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Pieman2005, Nov 3, 2014.

1. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Clearly.... With that, the Texans are still not a playoff team. I can't fathom giving the MVP to a player who did not make the playoffs, regardless of his team's improvement.

It's easy to improve from 2 wins when you have Tenn x 2, Jax x 2, Wash, and Oak on the schedule.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

As amazing as his play has been, we have to see an unrealistic # being achieved (ie. 30 sack season) by JJ Watt to get him an MVP. I know its unfair, but if Rodgers is on pace to win this year's title...Luck, Brady, and some other QB most likely will be the favorite next year. A number so unrealistic is what it will take to catch the attention of voters that have become so drawn to the offensive side of the ball. Kinda like LT and Shaun Alexander who dropped video game numbers in a season as RB's. Only true fans understand, that if JJ Watt wasnt on this team, we would actually be really bad...

3. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Yep... DPOY & his 3rd straight 1st team All Pro selection and a few MVP votes will be a damn good season. Just wish he had a competent QB & owner to play for.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

only other one I can think of in the future would be last year's winner, Luke Kuechly

that dude is a tackling machine

5. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

There are plenty of great options out there...

Justin Houston, Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Patrick Peterson, Jadeveon Clowney (one can dream, right?)...

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Watt has DPOY on lock, the only question is if he gets the MVP or not. He's got a really solid case for it

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's still a lot of season left... if it ended today, it would be neck-and-neck between Watt and Rodgers.

However, 4 weeks can make a huge difference in this thing... hell, Demarco Murray still has a punchers chance if the Cowboys somehow go on a run and win in Philly.

I think Watt actually ends up getting more attention for simply being in consideration as opposed to if he was a QB and just "in the running" (like Manning and Luck currently are).

8. mikus

mikus Member

I think if the Texans can finish 10-6 and JJ Watt gets to 15 sacks and 7 TDs(which is the alltime record for a defender), he has to get some consideration for MVP. That shows impact on both sides of the ball. Aaron Rodgers already won MVP once right? The voters might look for someone new to give it to.

9. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

I agree with this because 10-6 should get Houston in the playoffs.

10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Watt is so much fun to watch.

It's great knowing we are watching a player with this kind of ability at his best. He's starting to draw comparisons to Lawrence Taylor among others, as well as historical defensive MVP conversation.

It's like watching Hakeem in his prime, you have to appreciate this era.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If this board (mostly Texans fans) isn't convinced 100% then he won't get enough national support to win MVP.

Or to put it simply, if his fans don't think he deserves to win it can't expect the rest of the nation to.

#71 ipaman, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  12. mikus

mikus Member

I put in the 10-6 because I think Houston needs to make the playoffs for Watt to get serious consideration for MVP. If Houston makes the playoffs, the case can be made that Watt dragged us there.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Watt was great last year as well but the team lost 14 straight games... Foster comes back _ and the team is back to winning. The case of a defensive player dragging a team to the playoffs is hard to make.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Making the playoffs will be the only way he has a real shot at winning the MVP, unfortunately.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but that's more an indictment of the voters than anything.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not that you should take them seriously...but Skip & Stephen A.

SB: Not in my top five. Brady, Rodgers, Manning, DeMarco, Rivers

He does not wreak havoc like a guy you grew up loving (LT). There are times he looks blockable. It's cute he caught 3 TD passes. He can't be MVP on a team that is 6-6 and a D that has given up the 27th most yards. He can't cover WRs and do all the other things. He doesn't wreak havoc like Bruce Smith. I don't know he's that kind of overwhelming force.

SA: He is. I'd have him 4th or 5th. Rodgers, Brady, Manning or Murray. It's a team game. Houston is a respectable team and he has a lot do with that. ... We wouldn't give him the MVP nod but he belongs in there. Not strong against the QBs but consideration against Rivers? Yes I would.

SB: If they were 12-0 and their calling card was defense, I could give him a case. He's sensational, high motor, but in this race? I don't think so.

SA: Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton.

#76 J.R., Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Rodgers Brady then everyone else for MVP as of now. Now if JJ Watt closes the season with a flurry of sacks/TD's etc AND the Texans make the playoffs...who knows...who knows

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Agreed

19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Skip's argument against JJ's greatness this year has consistently been, he doesn't wreak havoc like [insert name here]. Dude is so full of **** it's ridiculous.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't think Watt can or will win it (barring a completely fathomable Herculean four-game stretch), and it's hard to argue he *should* win it when Rodgers and Brady are playing as well as they are right now. I'd slot him ahead of Manning and Luck - but wouldn't be upset if he finished behind those two, too, as they're also having incredible seasons.

BUT... if any non-QB gets a vote, it should be Watt and Watt only. DeMarco Murray is a product of his offensive line, which is terrific - but no way he deserves MVP consideration. There are a dozen RBs would put up Murray-like numbers behind that line. In fact, we've got a guy here nearly matching him behind an inferior offensive line.