1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Olajuwon or Nowitzki - Best International Player of all time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFWRocket, Nov 11, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I won't miss him.

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

I hope you realize that hating him just because he's a Mav doesn't make you sound like a true, hard Rockets fan. It makes you sound scared.

3. jlowe362

jlowe362 Member

Easy answer

OLAJUWON hands down

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Who said he hated him? He just won't miss watching him play.

I personally will not miss having to watch that one-footed, fall away, flopping jump shot.

5. jedicro

jedicro Member

I don't think a Rockets fan should complain about flopping.

I don't enjoy watching his fall away...against us. But I do enjoy watching it against other teams. It is incredible how much better he is at that midrange shot than any other player in the league. Aldridge is considered an elite midrange shooter, but Dirk craps all over his shooting percentages.

6. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

:confused: What flopping... ? That shot is amazing. One of the most unguardable shots of all time.

I hate the Mavs (mostly because of Cuban) and their fans as much as most reasonable people, but you can't deny Dirk his. He's an amazing player, and seems like a legitimately good dude, too.

... That said, yeah, this is no contest. If circumstances had been a little different in terms of injuries and whatnot, Hakeem might even be in the conversation for the single greatest to ever play the game. Dirk is a fantastic player, but he is not even on the same level as Hakeem.

7. George Gervin

George Gervin Member

Hakeem Olajuwan

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Reposting with updated #'s - keep voting guys

9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say Hakeem of course. Two-dimensional player and also made his teammates better. Hakeem numbers were insane. Points, rebounds, blocks an steals...he was insane. Image if he played in today's game where you can barely touch the opposing player. If you want to talk about points, how many more free throws would he have to?! His numbers would be even better. His footwork was better than some guards.

Dirk is still a great player. You can't take anything away from him. His shot is almost unblockable. He scores more because he uses the rules. That simple head fake and ticky tack fouls he uses in his advantage. Hakeem would too. This best thing he has over Hakeem is that he can shoot from deep at an incredible rate.

Again, it has to be Hakeem. His defense was too crucial. Guarding 1-5s as a 5. Some talk about Duncan (which is a better argument) but what if Hakeem had Tony and Manu. Or even Kawhi in his last years. He'd probably win more than 5.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bwhahaha Cmon man. The Dream is 100 times better.

11. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I'm not sure how much Dirk revolutionized the PF position. As talented as he is, it seems more like the rules revolutionized the game so that Dirk's talents could flourish. I'm not sure how well he does in the 80s-90s when the game was more physical and flopping wasn't rewarded. Of course, we could say that about Harden too but it seems the media and the national fans already spend half their spare time down-playing Harden's skills while at the same time pretending that Dirk has no flaws in his game.

Dirk's definitely a skilled player and a future HOFer but I don't find him particularly entertaining to watch and I won't miss him or his game when he's gone. It's hard to miss his game when we already have guys Dirk's size (Kevin Durant) who are better a virtually everything but play a different position and do not get the "he's completely changed the game!" love all the time.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Did not realize Ewing was born in Jamaica... but like Dream, he is an American citizen and a Team USAer...

13. dream2franchise

A great move, that one legged fadeaway.

Dream did it first.

14. Rivers

Rivers Member

No, it's Arvydas Sabonis

15. Oz Rocket

Oz Rocket Member

Sabonis is in the argument if he came over before the injuries got the better of him, perhaps even Petrovic

But nobody in the game has registered 20,000 points 10,000 rebounds 3,000 assists 2,000 steals & 3,000 blocks.

Nobody is close.

Enjoy the 30,000 points you will end up with Dirk (you seem like a reasonable guy) but this debate should not even be rasied.

16. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

I think it's pretty simple. Pick one player for your team: Hakeem, or Dirk

if you'd pick Dirk, I'm sorry but you're a moron.

1 person likes this.
  17. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Hakeem The Dream Olajuwon. What's Nowitzkis nickname?

18. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

(bad english accent) this is joke or no?

19. Ghost_of_Akeem

Hakeem Olajuwon was perhaps the greatest defensive player in NBA history. The media will never give him credit here, though. The only thing they care about is points scored and championships won, regardless of supporting casts or situation.

Had Hakeem played his entire career for Los Angeles, Chicago or NY people would be hailing him has the all-time great. Because he played in Houston he will go down as a foot-note and scrubs like Kobe will get more Kudos than him.