1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STOCK MARKET: Let's talk stocks and investing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Jun 2, 2008.

1. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Oh! I didn't realize it wasn't a joke when people talked about burying gold in their yard.

That's an extreme reaction if you ask me, but then I've only just started out learning about personal finance/investing.

The gold mining companies is what I initially thought people were implying when talking about gold. I'm not remotely close to figuring out which companies are reliable or not. Will start my research and slowly learn it.

I started on this about 5 months back, and I still have a very shaky grip on stock market behavior, at best. I think I'm lucky though that it's been a very volatile 5 months; it's like a fast-forwarded view of stock market behavior.

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Strange Rally...what to do? Keep on keeping on or sell some of half of positions and buy it back after an inevitable upcoming dip? I am a long term investor but I am getting tired of the dips after the S&P 500 hits record highs. It is without a doubt going to occur as we can't seem to break through and push higher. I can never bring myself to sell even though I know it will happen at some point this week.

3. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

I agree, really annoying how it keeps dipping. But it will one day push through as the stock market always will grow in the very long term.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What is strange about it? Just the dips?

Lots of stuff has happened, it's been somewhat volatile, but nothing really strange

5. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I am talking about since the sky was falling a couple of weeks ago after the British exited the EU. There may have been one or two truly down days but most days have been positive since then which is a little surprising given all of the "recession" fears that people were throwing around. Just seems like big corporations and millionaires/billionaires over inflate the market to it's peak and then cash out. Then when it falls about 5% over a couple of weeks they buy it back again after the next "sky is falling" moment only to repeat the process. I am on to their plan but I can never seem to take that leap with them.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Since the Brexit vote it has started to look like it will take a long time to happen or may not happen at all. That's been a big stabilizing factor.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brexit alone shouldn't have much of an effect. Basically it just reduces trade with Britain.

The worry was that it would be a domino effect and other Euro countries would start exiting. That would be bad but at this point doesn't look all that likely

8. Chamillionaire

Pound is up a little after May taking over. Wonder if I should buy Pound now or wait?

9. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

What's up with netflix, looks enticing.

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Too much competition, prices going up, losing subscribers maybe?

1 person likes this.
  11. Bob Barker 007

I still have Netflix (NFLX) valued $15 too high. If you are looking for a quick hit, maybe someone else can give you trading prospects, but for the long-term, I don't see much value here. tl;dr: Don't Buy/Sell

Its subscriber growth dropped significantly and it didn't come close to expectations. Netflix did gain in revenue by upping its subscription costs slightly. The only growth I see in the stock is continued increases from an optimistic/overinflated stock market. I also take more of a pessimistic view regarding Netflix's original shows; they have gained acclaim but really haven't done much for the company besides raise costs across the board. Their impact would only be a positive for Netflix in the future if they convince significant numbers of people to pick up Netflix (I don't see it personally). Another plus for Netflix is that their large subscriber base helps with gathering large amounts of data that can be tailored to individual subscribers. If they can leverage that data into more potential uses, that would be something to watch. International expansion does not look to be a profitable option, especially in Asia. I was in China for awhile, and trust me, they are not paying money to stream movies when they can bootleg for free.

Netflix's 5 year average Price to Earnings Ratio is 180 to 1, which is insane, but the company has grown at an insane rate. Current Price to Earnings is at 340 to 1, which means the price has been rising even as earnings have slowed significantly. Price/Book is 4.5 times the industry average, Price/Sales is 3 times the industry average. Nothing on the numbers side looks like a good value.

1 person likes this.
  12. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Thanks for info, repped

13. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Thanks for detailed feedback, repped

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

It's not losing subscribers, but just a slow down in subscriber growth. As mentioned, I suspect additional competitors, specifically Amazon Prime, is to blame.

15. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Am I limited by my MAGI at all as far as contributing to a ROTH IRA if I don't have a sponsored retirement plan?

16. Bob Barker 007

What are some good sources for commodity/currency futures and derivatives strategy?

17. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

The DOW is hitting all time highs today.

18. The Stig

The Stig Member

Is it too late to start shorting the Chinese market?

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

how long will this bull market last for trump.. worried about a panic sell around january/feb

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Market at all time highs and zero interest in this thread. Looks like the Bull has a ways to go before retail investors get back in(and market tops out).

Watch out for TSLA, looking for a second major move up after the initial one in 2013.