1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(MARC STEIN) James Borrego to meet with LES

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, May 24, 2016.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

Surely they could have done some research from November until the Rockets were out of the playoffs so it wouldn't take months extra hiring another coach?

SMH, this organization is so dysfunctional. The should have just hired JVG and gotten it over with and they don't even give the man an interview. Les will be Les and hold grudges.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Everything that's been reported so far has mentioned Silas and D'Antoni as being finalists for their coaching search. Borrego possibly was just added. It seems they're still left. Whether you're first or last, all that matters is you get who you want, no? If so...

1 person likes this.
  3. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

We didn't want a single other coach out there this year? I guess Morey and Les have duped the entire league in to hiring fools while they get the diamond in the rough that will catapult us to our success...

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

How should I know? I'm not on the inside. Everyone else seems to be acting like the only ones that matter are the ones that are gone. I'm asking them. It's as if no matter who's left, the ones that already were taken were the ones that we let get away.

5. rockets13champs

Coaching rankings
    1. Silas
    2. Borrego
    3. Anyone
    4. D'Antoni ( his system dont win chips)

Im pretty sure Borrego will take us to playoffs year in and out. Silas sounds really good but idk

6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I applaud the Rockets if being thorough and as sure as they can be is their aim. But there is a consequence in that candidates slip your fingers while you are carrying on your interview process. A fast or quick decision subtracts from the former and adds to the later. A plus/minus result either way.

But it does seem like Les's eyes should have been looking months ago. And once the playoffs concluded, have a very short list to decide from. Their response time (The Rockets Brass) and the progression of events makes it seem as if they didn't give the matter even a thought till the end of their playoffs.

The search has seemed uncertain, indecisive and without focus from the get go. Perhaps Les's reasons/motivation to pursue a new coach didn't happen until it did. He made his fill decision late? Perhaps. Who knows other than Les?

7. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I just don't understand why this process is taking as long as it is, with such a wide range of applicants?

Its not like they fired McHale a couple of weeks ago, right after getting eliminated. McHale has been gone since early November! Even if the Rockets had hope against hope that JBB would fill the shoes and might be considered as the team's long term head coach, the Rockets should have been making list and narrowing choices every since they told McHale they were letting him go.

I would understand the Rockets taking a couple of weeks to interview a select few individuals and honestly, I'm fine with them taking this long to find a hire but its frustrating that they seem to have no direction!

Like, what were they doing from November till now on the coaching front? Twiddling their thumbs, hoping JBB would lead them to a championship?

It just seems like this is Les' doing. I think if Morey was in charge of this hire then this process would have be on its final lap, if not completed already. I'm pretty sure Morey knows what we need in a coach. Les, on the other hand, might know what we need but is still undecided on if what we need fits what he wants. Les, let Morey do the job you paid him and everyone else in the front office to do!!

8. OTMax

OTMax Member

I agree with everyone that this coaching search seems to lack focus, is taking long everything considered and killing any chance of hiring the best coach possible. It could just be simple: Les wants D'antoni and that's that. The rest is just from Morey's side, for show or both.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets should be experts at interviews by now.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Rockets have the league's last remaining coaching vacancy. Now to see if Borrego joins Mike D'Antoni and Stephen Silas as a finalist.</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/735597021663367168">May 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources say Spurs assistant James Borrego -- co-finalist for Memphis' job with Fizdale -- interviewed today with Rockets owner Les Alexander</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/735596639730049024">May 25, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I think you are a little late bro. Just a little.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Yea...:(

13. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

so the rockets aren't looking for quality head coach, they're looking for a big name on a cheap contract. Not that MDA is a big name but been around the league. Now that they have the last spot open in the league, they're playing hard ball with them. This is a Cheap move for sure.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think Silas and Borrego are both forward thinking hires. Why do you assume that D'Antoni (and maybe Van Gundy) are just being lowballed by looking for more people? What's the urgency to hire a coach now that you're the last open spot? What's going to beat this head coaching job, a TV analyst gig? The Rockets are right to do due diligence now that the stakes are low (i.e. Vogel, Brooks, Thibs, Joerger all off the market). Vogel was the only one that we really missed out on. Thibs wants too much control and Joerger had already made his mind to go to Sacto. Brooks isn't that great of a coach and Durant isn't leaving. But I like Silas and Borrego as hires, Silas especially.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hopefully the more time passes the more Les is able to realize that MDA is a failure of a coach. He may have been acting rash and irrational when he declared MDA the frontrunner.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I think you're giving Les far too much credit. The impression I get is he wants D'Antoni as the coach, but at a certain price. If he's not willing to accept Les' offer, the Rockets will just hire one of the other 89 candidates they interviewed.