1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(MARC STEIN) James Borrego to meet with LES

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClearLakeTX, May 24, 2016.

1. ibm

ibm Member

thought coaching wouldnt matter much? why cant les make up his freaking mind still?

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Someone from a strong coaching tree is always interesting to me. I don't have a problem with rookie coaches at all given I'm looking at a 10-year window unlike most here.

With Borrego, there just isn't enough information out there. However given Les' opposition to small-name coaches and Morey interviewing everyone on the planet, if a rookie coach nails the interview with Morey AND Les AND is sought by another team AND comes from the Spurs.... that gives me a lot of confidence.

Pretty excited about Borrego or Silas, and trying to be cautiously optimistic about MDA. I'm super disappointed Messina doesn't seem to be in the running, but I have to say if I separate myself from this and look at it objectively I'm really happy with how the coaching search has gone.

1 person likes this.
  3. ibm

ibm Member

for real? you mean you're objectively happy after a month-long search yielding initial results of mda or some unproven names for potential hc, while many bigger and proven names are either gone or not even interviewed? :eek::confused:

4. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Berman was waiting for him outside the restroom to get that pic

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

There are so many instances of coaches who failed in their first stints only to go on to be very successful with later teams. Why would such a small sample size be anything to go on? That Magic team was horribly dysfunctional and by the time he took over, there was little that could be done to salvage the season.

I don't know much of anything about him other than he's been with the Spurs for quite a while and had the short stint with Orlando. I don't think any of that is enough to disqualify him.

6. ibm

ibm Member

i still cant comprehend this "spurs academy" mentality. many appear to think that if someone is from the spurs, he'd be automatically or most likely good. but mike brown and mike budenholzer (both of them have won coy award iirc) aint exactly inspiring examples to me.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Mark Jackson = a proven terrible coach

Sam Cassel = has been an assistant, mostly under average coaches

Mario Elie = maybe my fav rocket ever yet can't hold any kind of coaching job

Kenny Smith = never coached ever, not particularly smart

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

morey & les seem to be doing an awful lot of interviewing for a position that only just barely makes a 5 game difference to our season at most

9. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Apparently, he wants to hire the perfect coach for his team. He wants to take his time before making the right decision. I'll take anyone but D'Antoni though.

10. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I love this soap opera drama.:)

11. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

ClutchFans order of preference on coach:

1). Big name, if no,
    2). Spurs assistant (just because that means they will be great I guess?), if no,
    3). Defensive coach, if no,
    4). Anyone beside D'Antoni

12. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I don't like James Borrego's personality. He seems like a boring coach and I don't think he's a good fit for the Rockets. Harden will fall asleep during Borrego's practices. LOL

But I'll still take James Borrego over D'Antoni.

13. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

In this impulsive world where CEOs worry more about the next quarter, than anything past month 4. Where coaches and GMs can't even execute a plan for longer than three years without intervention, you have the nerve to think 10 years out?

This coaching search has been crap. And James Borrego is utter crap, too.

14. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

HAHA... THIS!!!

15. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

He kinda reminds me of brad Stevens. I hope that he coach like him. That would be amazing for the rockets

16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Anyone but D'Antoni though.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

LESS is MOREy

18. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray Member

I agree.

What's the feeling on the boards? Is our HC simply a mouthpiece for Morey?

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Just #4 is good enough for me at this point.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I think coach bud has done a pretty good job. Agree on mike brown he wasnt anything special at all he just landed a top 10 player of all time and got to coach him in the eastern conference when 10 games under .500 could get you in the playoffs.