1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIFA Officials Facing Federal Corruption Charges

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, May 26, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Blatter in prison and the entire executive committee out. Then the new leadership could call for a re-vote. I don't know if they'll do it, though.

Glad to see someone standing up against the corruption. I don't think losing 2022 made a difference. The crimes were committed on US soil using US banks. This likely would've happened regardless.

My one fear now is if Blatter gets through this unscathed, will he punish US Soccer somehow?

2. Buck Turgidson

This is just beginning. The Swiss are looking into the selection of Russia/Qatar, and there's 25 other unnamed and as-of-yet unindicted co-conspirators in the DOJ case. The whole purpose of RICO is to take away any deniability of crimes committed by an organization you are a part of. And as hardcore as the RICO statute is, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act has an even longer reach.

At worst Blatter is corrupt, at best he's totally incompetent if all this went on without his knowledge (yeah, right). It'll take a while but even in the world of FIFA I don't see how he and his cronies survive this.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Clinton Foundation took at least $1,250,000 from Qatar and its World Cup committee implicated in FIFA bribery scandal

• Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee' is the entity responsible for organizing the Gulf state's 2022 World Cup bid and the resulting preparations
    • Clinton Foundation website discloses donations from the committee of between $250,001 and $500,000, including a donation in 2014
    • Qatar itself has donated betwen $1 million and $5 million to the foundation, and did it before 2014
    • The tiny Middle Eastern country won the rights to host the 2022 global soccer tournament in December 2010
    • Clinton Foundation later said Qatar worked toward 'utilizing its research and development for sustainable infrastructure at the 2022 FIFA World Cup'

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is great news and I'm glad it's happening BUT... It appears there is major hypocrisy going on here. It looks like USA attempted to do what FIFA does and yet in the process lost out. That really pissed off the USA and they decided to take down the entire thing. So yes, glad it's happening but it's not happening under the best of circumstances and best intentions. It's revenge. Because of that, I'm not sure how much cleanup will actually occur.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

See this is what I'm talking about. This was hush money because allegedly Bill Clinton was hella-pissed when the USA lost out to Qatar. Qatar responded accordingly and it was accepted.

1 person likes this.
  6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like the investigation has been going on since the 1990s, no? I don't disagree that losing to Qatar probably sped up the latter stages of the process, but, if I'm reading it correctly, the DOJ has been investigating for a lot longer than that.

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

8. malakas

malakas Member

why do you fear that they will punish american football association? What grounds they have?

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think the major nations won't boycott FIFA, as they're deep in their own sh** and Blatter could spill the beans on anyone. All recent WC hosts and candidates received votes by doing shady things (money, construction offers, economic offers, etc) and are scared of Blatter going down with guns blazing.

I'd be careful and wait for the results of this federal case now, there are very likely many more upper tier executives and nations involved, everyone could fall.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I prefer Blatter going down with guns blazing and all kinds of crap coming out (including some that will most undoubtedly embarrass certain Germans such as Beckenbauer) to Blatter thinking he can stay on. He will have to leave, even for an arrogant b*stard like him, there is no way he can stay once the sponsors put enough pressure on him.

Apparently he is not allowed to leave Switzerland at this point and has to keep himself available for police questioning. I sincerely hope that some of the guys who were arrested yesterday will rat him out.

11. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Question: Why does Platini keep beating about the bush? Why not just preempt the election and pull out of FIFA now? You know there is only one outcome - Ali is going to lose.

And smh at Visa's statement. If you're serious, you'll threaten to withdraw sponsorship unless Blatter steps down. But he probably has dirt on you too, so you're left making hollow statements.

12. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

13. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The U.S. and A. only got involved because they lost out on the World Cups. There would be NO CLEANUP had U.S. of A. gotten the bids. :eek: FBI, huh?

^ Yes. YES. ^ This is why he's guilty and this is why we must boycott the World Cup! Down with these corrupt cheaters!! :mad:

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this.

DD

17. PhiSlammaJamma

The U.S. has accepted the plea and from here on out, everyone walks but it will be called soccer.

18. malakas

malakas Member

don't think so buddy. Football is football. With your feet.
    :)

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Wrong. The US DOJ got involved because a former US Attorney (Michael Garcia) was tasked with investigating the charges that the bids for 2018 and 2022 were corrupted. His report to FIFA was over 350 pages. The report that FIFA released was 42 pages and cleared FIFA of any wrongdoing. Mr. Garcia has connections to James Comey (former US Attorney for S. New York who held that position before Garcia and is the current FBI Director) and Loretta Lynch, the current US Attorney General...who had the original case as the US Attorney in Brooklyn and brought it with her to the Justice Department.

FIFA put this in motion on their own. They hired Garcia. Garcia wasn't going to sit back and let them sweep it under the rug. I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with the US losing the bid for 2022. The crimes were done on US soil.

I know you and ipaman want it to fit your narrative but it simply doesn't.

1 person likes this.