1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FIFA Officials Facing Federal Corruption Charges

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, May 26, 2015.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there's a chance. Just because Blatter is gone doesn't mean that migrant workers won't stop being enslaved by the Qataris. It doesn't mean the campaign against the sponsors won't stop.

Remember, there is the Garcia Report, which nobody outside of the corrupt Executive Committee has read, and the Swiss and FBI are investigating corruption related to the Qatari and Russian bids, too.

This is far from over.

2. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Blatter to Swiss TV on Friday: "Why would I step down? That would mean I recognise that I did wrong."

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

They've already started building the stadiums over there so it seems unlikely they would move it out of the country.

4. mtbrays

Supporting Member

It'll certainly cost less to move it when you aren't paying your workforce.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I think a VERY slight chance.
    The TV networks FOX (and I believe BBC/ITV) amongst other big networks were on board (begrudgingly perhaps). Plus those in the Qatari bid know how to grease the right palms and make money do a lot of convincing.

If the WC were to be awarded anywhere else in 2022, I'd hope it'd be Australia instead of the US or England (despite my desire to have Football "come home" again).

6. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I think there will be enough anti-American/UEFA sentiment in FIFA after this that Australia is the next logical host.

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

8. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Agreed, I don't like the way it would look if it were awarded to the US or England. Australia would be an excellent alternative.

I sure hope there is more than a very slight chance though, but I think a lot of it is really going to come down to how these next 6 weeks of posturing amongst candidates goes.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Interesting question: how would you reform voting in FIFA?

A friend and I were discussing this and here is my idea (just spit-balling here):

If you're a country that has qualified for a World Cup, you get to vote for both FIFA president and tournament hosts. This rewards making it to the big stage and maintains international representation in the voting process. This way, small countries that have qualified in the past, like Slovakia and Honduras, get to vote and are rewarded for making it to a World Cup, but small countries with no hope of every qualifying, like the Seychelles or Grenada, are not elevated to an artificially-important place.

The remaining countries that do not have votes can then pool their support as a federation and the federation subsequently gets one vote.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Haha... scaredy cat. Well... it makes many of y'all happy. :grin:

To where? Oh, don't tell me... USA? :eek:

LOLs, no. Preparations are well under way.

"No hope"? Talk to Trinidad and Tobago. :rolleyes: Why discount countries because you think they have "no hope"? Yeah, that is SO fair.

13. SwoLy-D

:eek: President Blatter's words:
    [rquoter]REMARKS BY FIFA PRESIDENT BLATTER
    I have been reflecting deeply about my presidency and about the forty years in which my life has
    been inextricably bound to FIFA and the great sport of football. I cherish FIFA more than
    anything and I want to do only what is best for FIFA and for football. I felt compelled to stand
    for re-election, as I believed that this was the best thing for the organisation. That election is
    over but FIFA’s challenges are not. FIFA needs a profound overhaul.
    While I have a mandate from the membership of FIFA, I do not feel that I have a mandate from
    the entire world of football – the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and
    love football as much as we all do at FIFA.
    Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will
    continue to exercise my functions as FIFA President until that election.
    The next ordinary FIFA Congress will take place on 13 May 2016 in Mexico City. This would
    create unnecessary delay and I will urge the Executive Committee to organise an Extraordinary
    Congress for the election of my successor at the earliest opportunity. This will need to be done
    in line with FIFA’s statutes and we must allow enough time for the best candidates to present
    themselves and to campaign.
    Since I shall not be a candidate, and am therefore now free from the constraints that elections
    inevitably impose, I shall be able to focus on driving far-reaching, fundamental reforms that
    transcend our previous efforts. For years, we have worked hard to put in place administrative
    reforms, but it is plain to me that while these must continue, they are not enough.
    The Executive Committee includes representatives of confederations over whom we have no
    control, but for whose actions FIFA is held responsible. We need deep-rooted structural change.
    The size of the Executive Committee must be reduced and its members should be elected
    through the FIFA Congress. The integrity checks for all Executive Committee members must be
    organised centrally through FIFA and not through the confederations. We need term limits not
    only for the president but for all members of the Executive Committee.
    I have fought for these changes before and, as everyone knows, my efforts have been blocked.
    This time, I will succeed.
    I cannot do this alone. I have asked Domenico Scala to oversee the introduction and
    implementation of these and other measures. Mr. Scala is the Independent Chairman of our
    Audit and Compliance Committee elected by the FIFA Congress. He is also the Chairman of the
    ad hoc Electoral Committee and, as such, he will oversee the election of my successor. Mr.
    Scala enjoys the confidence of a wide range of constituents within and outside of FIFA and has
    all the knowledge and experience necessary to help tackle these major reforms.
    It is my deep care for FIFA and its interests, which I hold very dear, that has led me to take this
    decision. I would like to thank those who have always supported me in a constructive and loyal
    manner as President of FIFA and who have done so much for the game that we all love. What
    matters to me more than anything is that when all of this is over, football is the winner.[/rquoter]

14. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Realistically, no. But, perhaps Australia? They bid for 2022 to begin with and have never hosted. They also won't enslave thousands of people, can actually host the tournament outdoors without fear of death and are normally able to qualify on the strength of their team.

You're misinterpreting what I said. Statistically, small countries have very little shot at qualifying for the World Cup. But, if they did, they would permanently have a standalone vote in this hypothetical. So, if a country like Trinidad and Tobago qualifies (which they have), they're rewarded in perpetuity with a well-earned vote. This also means that they have a larger standing than territories, not even countries, that have one vote like Montserrat. Monserrat will never qualify for a World Cup. Why should they have the same influence in voting, and get an equal share of World Cup proceeds they don't even participate in, compared to countries like Germany, Mexico, Argentina, etc.?

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Did I say USA?? No. I simply asked if there's a chance they take it away from a country that has killed THOUSANDS of workers, and is set to kill THOUSANDS more over the next several years. I don't give a **** if preparations are well under way.....they don't deserve it. Give it to Australia, England, Sweden, India, or whoever else is willing to set things right and enter a viable bid. Proceed with a process that's done the right way, and award it to someone who is deserving. If that's the USA, I'd be ecstatic (and so would you since you'd be able to attend games at a much more affordable rate). If it's not, so be it. At least it's not taking place in a country where thousands and thousands of families suffer to make sure corrupt executives have luxury apartments for their pets.

16. mtbrays

Supporting Member

SwoLy will not acknowledge any moral argument you make because "You will still watch it :eek::mad::p"

Too him, inelastic demand for viewing the World Cup overrules any moral argument somebody may have about enslaving thousands of people and watching them die for the sake of hosting a tournament.

You'll still watch the games, SwoLy. But, you're blind to bondage and suffering. You're a hero.

17. Buck Turgidson

You are a voting memeber if you've qualified for one of the past 5 WCs. Revenue distribution is based on population.

18. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I like it! Incentivizes every country to qualify and removes outsize influence of those who probably never will.

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would modify this to "number of members of the national football association" rather than "population" because there are some very populous countries where football is far from the number one sport and the actual "football population" is much smaller than in some less populous countries where there is a lot more organized football.

20. SwoLy-D

No. I'm saying that if you would REALLY not support the suffrage and bondage, you wouldn't even watch the games, dumbartonbass. Your whining and crying does nothing. You're here praising a comedian who makes a promise and it seems funny (it is, don't get me wrong, I liked it), but... that's where it stops. You won't write a letter to those advertisers or to the FIFA saying "enough is enough, don't hold the World Cup there!"... or something of the likes. You'll continue to sit at home, drink beer, and watch the games.
    Statistically NOTHING, sir.

You're not suggesting that white rich people get more votes in elections than poor minorities, are you? ;) Well, are you? If you're part of the FIFA organization and want to be ruled by their mandate, you should have a vote, no matter how small your population or land area is. :eek: